Cyberpunk 2077 [split from video games]

C.T. Phipps

That part doesn't bother me at all, there's already so much that you can interact with and there's an incredible level of verticality in the city that it feels real enough to me. Maybe being old enough to have the perspective on just how far games have come makes me more forgiving of things that are clearly down to very reasonable limitations.

I thought there were also plenty of places you couldn't go in TW3 as well so there's that too.

26 minutes ago, karaddin said:

That part doesn't bother me at all, there's already so much that you can interact with and there's an incredible level of verticality in the city that it feels real enough to me. Maybe being old enough to have the perspective on just how far games have come makes me more forgiving of things that are clearly down to very reasonable limitations.

I thought there were also plenty of places you couldn't go in TW3 as well so there's that too.

That was my feeling too. Like, I can jump up to insane areas and see peoples' clothes lines, the heck do I need to be able to go into every single building for? But I understand the position. 

Ditto. I don’t really have that need for simulation of everything — every building needs stuff inside, every restaurant can be dined at, etc., etc.  I remember playing Quest for Glory II, where you would wander the alleys and halls of the main city and there would be all of these doors… but the vast majority could not be opened. 

Which was useful, because you could spam pick lock at one of them, and just shoot your skill up to max in no time and with no danger.

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

An interesting observationt that a friend made: he felt that compared to Witcher 3, the game felt a bit hollow in part because so many buildings were empty and could not be entered, the way they could in Witcher 3. I always found that aspect of Witcher 3 less than interesting, or maybe I just wasn't curious enough. 

I have managed to access the area behind Pacifica Stadium and found a bunch of unused/empty/transparent assets, but beyond that, it does raise a good question: why are so many buildings not enterable? 

That's odd. In Witcher 3 the overwhelming majority of buildings are not enterable either, certainly not in the big cities of Beauclair and Novigrad. However, in Witcher 3 you spend 90% of the game in the wilderness, so a shack in the woods is almost always going to have a story or quest attached to it. Also, almost every single shack in the woods in The Witcher 3 has the exact same layout, and often the exact same assets lying around, not even rearranged a bit like they are in Skyrim. It got quite tedious by the end.

As for why they're not enterable, it's because nothing happens in them that's relevant to the plot and so it's an absolute ton of work for no reason, not to mention having to rework the police system so you can be arrested or detected breaking into someone's house.

Bits and bobs -- Cyberpunk: Edgerunner is out and I very much enjoyed it, even if it hits some hoary old anime tropes here and there. The evocation of Night City and the Cyberpunk world is spot on, and it's stylish as hell. It's very violent and rather oversexed (as I noted in the Watching thread, they've decided that the two main female netrunners prefer to do their netrunning in the nude rather than wearing netrunning suits) but it looks gorgeous. Like the music choices, too.

In an investor call they've confirmed there's just this one big expansion coming, but have made clear that they've invested too much time and money into the IP and will definitely be producing more Cyberpunk material in the future. It sounds like they basically want to just get moving to an Unreal Engine-based sequel down the road rather than trying to keep updating and iterating on their own, kludgy engine.

13 minutes ago, sifth said:

I saw Edgerunner as well. It was pretty good, but not great, however it's very depressing. I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

Spoiler

V: Guess I meant, I dunno... a happier ending... for everyone involved.

Johnny Silverhand : Here, for folks like us? Wrong city, wrong people.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Bits and bobs -- Cyberpunk: Edgerunner is out and I very much enjoyed it, even if it hits some hoary old anime tropes here and there. The evocation of Night City and the Cyberpunk world is spot on, and it's stylish as hell. It's very violent and rather oversexed (as I noted in the Watching thread, they've decided that the two main female netrunners prefer to do their netrunning in the nude rather than wearing netrunning suits) but it looks gorgeous. Like the music choices, too.

In an investor call they've confirmed there's just this one big expansion coming, but have made clear that they've invested too much time and money into the IP and will definitely be producing more Cyberpunk material in the future. It sounds like they basically want to just get moving to an Unreal Engine-based sequel down the road rather than trying to keep updating and iterating on their own, kludgy engine.

Hopefully the one CP77 expansion incorporates the ideas from both the previous expansions that leaked, so all the loose ends (Mr. Blue Eyes, the Crystal Palace etc) are satisfyingly addressed.

1 hour ago, Ran said:
  Hide contents

Hey, even a game as dark as the Witcher 3, which is filled with messed up stuff, at least had a happy ending optional. I sort of hate games that pretty much have all bad endings, just some less bad than others.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Hey, even a game as dark as the Witcher 3, which is filled with messed up stuff, at least had a happy ending optional. I sort of hate games that pretty much have all bad endings, just some less bad than others.

Is something with even an option for a happy ending constitutionally allowed to be considered Cyberpunk?   

12 hours ago, sifth said:

The game doesn't have an ending yet, just as Witcher 3 didn't really have an ending (certainly not a happy ending) until Blood & Wine came out.

22 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The game doesn't have an ending yet, just as Witcher 3 didn't really have an ending (certainly not a happy ending) until Blood & Wine came out.

I mean the Witcher 3 has two happy endings, outside of DLC, so yea that’s a lie. I mean I wish my younger self could have warned me this game was basically nihilism the video game and save me a few hours of my life. 

40 minutes ago, sifth said:

I mean the Witcher 3 has two happy endings, outside of DLC, so yea that’s a lie. I mean I wish my younger self could have warned me this game was basically nihilism the video game and save me a few hours of my life. 

What happy ending?

Ciri dies, or she becomes a Witcher and is doomed to a life of wandering around perceived to be a monster and rejected by society and only useful when she's killing things (you know, the whole thematic point of the entire franchise), or she becomes Empress of Nilfgaard and is trapped on a dangerous throne surrounded by people wanting to kill her or marry her for her power (the exact fate Ciri spends the entire rest of the franchise trying to escape from).

35 minutes ago, Werthead said:

What happy ending?

Ciri dies, or she becomes a Witcher and is doomed to a life of wandering around perceived to be a monster and rejected by society and only useful when she's killing things (you know, the whole thematic point of the entire franchise), or she becomes Empress of Nilfgaard and is trapped on a dangerous throne surrounded by people wanting to kill her or marry her for her power (the exact fate Ciri spends the entire rest of the franchise trying to escape from).

She gets to live her dream job in one ending and becomes an amazing leader in the other. You’re really trying to twist those to make them bad. The latter is a bitter sweet ending, I’ll give you.

4 hours ago, sifth said:

Nihilism the video game sounds exactly like what a cyberpunk game should be!

11 hours ago, sifth said:

She gets to live her dream job in one ending and becomes an amazing leader in the other. You’re really trying to twist those to make them bad. The latter is a bitter sweet ending, I’ll give you.

Yeah, I considered "Empress Ciri" (the ending that I got) to be about as happy an ending as was possible in the franchise.

Hearts of Stone has an unambiguously happy ending (and one of the best I've seen in gaming), you just have to work for it and risk a lot. And I considered an ending of Blood and Wine in which the three major characters all die to be a happy one, since they pretty much had it coming.

Cyberpunk 2077  has seen a resurgence of players thanks to a combination of the 1.6 update and, it seems, Edgerunners. According to Pawel Sasko, yesterday the game had more concurrent players on PC since January 2021 (aka, one month after the release) and it's one of the top single-player games on the Steam charts again.

26 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Wowzers. 

@Ran I've been following a guy on Forbes, who did a 1.6 patch review. From what he wrote, it doesn't sound like a lot was added? That sound about right to you and @karaddin?

I suspect Edgerunners and "new patch" (even if not much new content) was enough for a lot of people. There are also sales going on right now. But some of that new content is Edgerunners related clothing and weapons, plus a mission and some new text references and so on, which adds to the appeal for those coming off the anime.

Archived