US Politics: Autogolpe big or golpe home

Kalbear

15 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

It's remarkable how incredibly angry I am right now at all of this. Knowing that everyone involved will just get away with it and nothing of consequence will happen. My liberal unfairness moral compass is absolutely pegged at 'fuck everything' right now.

This definitely won't be the end of it.  If this shit doesn't get a decisive and swift response it'll just happen again soon.

And I can't see any reason to expect a rapid and effective response.  FFS they just let them all stroll in and out of there... and arrested only 13?

I have that same sense of body and mind squashedness as experienced with a death in the family.  Just drained, exhausted, blank and – starving.  A reason there is so much food at funerals and people bring us food when a family member dies.

We had a good dinner, which helped a lot.  Just as when we eat after the viewing and the funeral.

Plus, we have had a close family member die on the 30th, so -- whoosh.

Listening to the roll call / count.  Which seems to have stopped for whatever reason. Ah counting the votes by hand.

Was Graham drunk?  It wouldn't be the first time in that Chamber.

Cabinet members are convening and discussing.  Nothing official.

They are taking a break.  I'm giving up. Squashed.

8 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

This definitely won't be the end of it.  If this shit doesn't get a decisive and swift response it'll just happen again soon.

And I can't see any reason to expect a rapid and effective response.  FFS they just let them all stroll in and out of there... and arrested only 13?

The video of them just letting them walk out of the capitol all peaceful and orderly in a nice line is going to anger me for a very long time.

15 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

She and I are on opposite sides of the country, except when she comes to visit Atlanta! Which she often does!!

I totally am blind from stupid numbers in Excel, so I cannot see the grammar error. If you could please point it out to me, I would be obliged. Gracias :)

"Waters's". It's just Waters'

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Man, this is just like taking acid or somethin'. Lindsey Graham, holy ... whatevah?

He's a weird fucking dude. Understandable in many ways, but weird.

14 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

I know! I know that nothing was ever going to happen to Trump. I know that the system doesn't punish people like him and never will. Intellectually I'm all 'a duh' but I'm still so incredibly angry. 

Take solace in the fact that despite the CP being useless, nothing other than some looting and a massive embarrassment happened (I don't care about the person who got shot and died if she was one of these insurrectionists)

13 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

She and I are on opposite sides of the country, except when she comes to visit Atlanta! Which she often does!!

And here you hand me thinking there was this traveling wizard makeup artist. Also, if we're playing six degrees of separation, through me you know basically every world leader for the last few decades. :P

I totally am blind from stupid numbers in Excel, so I cannot see the grammar error. If you could please point it out to me, I would be obliged. Gracias :)

How does a "s" and an "'" have safe grammar sex?

2 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

The video of them just letting them walk out of the capitol all peaceful and orderly in a nice line is going to anger me for a very long time.

Likely the least inflammatory thing to do, that will keep the rest of the nation's crazies just waiting for a reason at home for the night.

Hmmmm

The top House appropriator charged with funding the Capitol Police vowed Wednesday to investigate the law enforcement response to the violent mob that overtook the Capitol building and alluded to firings to come among the force.

Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio) told reporters after the rioting had subsided that "there were some strategic mistakes from the very beginning."

I wonder if that's code for, there were people in the Capitol Police where were complicit in this terrorist event.

Yeah, I've said this before, but the Trump presidency to me signaled the end of any shred of meritocracy that the US could lay claim too. Mediocre, mostly white males without any qualifications being raised to high positions, making a hash of things and then leaving with no consequences (in fact getting high paying jobs after) has become the norm. I'd like to claim this is actually happening across US society as a whole and Trumpism was only part of it.....

Of all this, it is the lack of consequences that galls me the most....

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Likely the least inflammatory thing to do, that will keep the rest of the nation's crazies just waiting for a reason at home for the night.

I don't care.

They broke several major laws. They committed an act of domestic terrorism. One person was killed. Several others were wounded. You do not let terrorists just 'walk away'. 

This also isn't the least inflammatory thing, because what it showed is that if you break several federal laws as long as you're backed by Trump you can just...get away with it. You think this will make people sit at home and do nothing? Fuck no, they'll plan to do even more, and do even more violence, and do it bigger - because why the fuck not? 

9 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Well, that’s what you get when you elect a fucking football coach (Tuberville) to the US Senate...

*A bum fucking football coach who knows nothing about anything other than exploiting largely black youths for money. 

1 minute ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I’ve seen it done both ways. I swear it’s accepted. I’m gonna Google this. 

I'm sorry, even if it's technically an accepted alternative now, it is an affront to the eyes and is aesthetically unpleasing. So it should never be done purely on that basis.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

They had them inside the building- shut the doors and kettle the steps and make the fucking arrests. If the Minneapolis PD can do it all the goddamn time the DC police, Secret Service, FBI, and National Guard sure as fuck can.

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

?  It's just showing the MAGA people willing to get violent that there aren't practical consequences for this, and that they got a lot of support from law enforcement.  I don't see that being the "least inflammatory thing to do".

1 minute ago, Fury Resurrected said:

They had them inside the building- shut the doors and kettle the steps and make the fucking arrests. If the Minneapolis PD can do it all the goddamn time the DC police, Secret Service, FBI, and National Guard sure as fuck can.

Agreed. The Capitol police who were present didn't have a lot of good options when the rioters were breaching the perimeter. But by the time the building was getting secured, there were more than enough forces present to crack down hard if they wanted.

Instead, the only real force that took place was later on, out in the streets, by different police agencies. And even then, it looks like they still haven't gone all out it; so far there's only reports of around 30 night time arrests. Though it sounds like the streets are mostly deserted by this point. As I said in the morning, there weren't really that many rioters here; which makes it all the more pathetic that the situation spiraled so badly.

6 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

I don't care.

They broke several major laws. They committed an act of domestic terrorism. One person was killed. Several others were wounded. You do not let terrorists just 'walk away'. 

This also isn't the least inflammatory thing, because what it showed is that if you break several federal laws as long as you're backed by Trump you can just...get away with it. You think this will make people sit at home and do nothing? Fuck no, they'll plan to do even more, and do even more violence, and do it bigger - because why the fuck not? 

I’m with you on this one. I was waiting for the national Guard to come in and roll these morons. It would have been entirely warranted. They literally stormed the Capitol of the United States. Unthinkable. 

that said, there probably is merit to not making martyrs of these people. As much as I wanted to see some skulls cracked in the moment its probably for the best that it panned out with relatively little bloodshed. I do expect (and demand) some of these people to be found later and prosecuted though.

Archived