US Politics: The Republicans problem with small packages

Kalbear

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Ending our involvement in Yemen is such a positive step. We've spent the last five years complicit in genocide, and I'm glad to see Biden is taking measures to extract us and even take on a positive role in ending it. That said, given America's foreign policy patterns.

So the Senate just voted 99-1 on a non-binding budget amendment that would remove eligibility from high income earners receiving the checks. Of course, there appears to be no language that defines who these high income earners are. So what we have here is an empty bit of bi-partisanship that means nothing, does nothing, and just gives the dumb-dumb left and the faux-populists on the right something to hit you with.

Rand Paul was the only dissenting vote, which I assume means he was angry that it didn't exempt middle and low wage workers instead.

1 hour ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I don't know...this centrist sees her as being pretty shitty to the progressives in the house. I saw AOC and the rest of the squad work hard over the last few years to work with her, but Pelosi still would call them out or talk down to them through the press. I used to really like Pelosi, but she seems to be getting more and more entitled with how she believes she should be treated. I cringe any time a reporter asks her a semi-tough question--she gets dismissive and defensive. I'd like to see her work harder to reach out to the left instead of trying to isolate them. Just my two cents.

She's the freaking Speaker of the House, and prior to Harris becoming VP, the most successful woman in American politics. The Squad, OTOH, were freshman Congresswomen. A leader keeping freshmen in line is nothing new.

Also, why do you keep saying she's shitty to progressives? Being a San Francesco liberal is a right wing slur directed specifically at her. She's very liberal, but leaders have to behave different than people without much power and/or seniority. 

Yet more proof that the Democratic party leaders were replaced by lizard people.

House strips Marjorie Taylor Greene of her committee posts
Republicans vowed to retaliate against Democrats if and when they retake the majority.

https://www.politico.com/

The House took the extraordinary step Thursday to strip Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of her committee posts over a series of incendiary comments and actions by the controversial GOP lawmaker, including endorsing the assassination of Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

It is extremely rare for one party in the House to intervene in another’s personnel affairs. But the vote, which occurred mostly along party lines, came after GOP leaders refused to act on their own. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy has denounced Greene’s past actions but rebuffed calls to take away her committee assignments, only offering to reassign her.

47 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

She's the freaking Speaker of the House, and prior to Harris becoming VP, the most successful woman in American politics. The Squad, OTOH, were freshman Congresswomen. A leader keeping freshmen in line is nothing new.

Also, why do you keep saying she's shitty to progressives? Being a San Francesco liberal is a right wing slur directed specifically at her. She's very liberal, but leaders have to behave different than people without much power and/or seniority. 

Mostly agree with this, but jfc, "neoliberal" and "san francisco liberal" aren't slurs. 

I certainly don't agree with Pelosi on plenty of things, but she did an awesome job of holding the Dems together when things were petty fucking bleak from 2017-2019.  Especially how she navigated the shutdown.  I remember people in these threads terrified that she was being too bold and that Dems would get blamed for it.  Congressional Dems have overall moved left during her leadership (other than maybe foreign policy -- although allegedly we're backing off Yemen, way too late), not that Pelosi necessarily was pushing this shift but she didn't fight it kicking and screaming like a lot of Dem leaders would have.  

The speaker is always going to be a champion of imperialism and all sorts of terrible things but until we can elect 150 Squad types to the House Pelosi is better than almost anyone who could realistically be in that position.  

I and I say that as someone who was supercritical of the ice cream.

Just let them eat their own:

MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell has found himself in the middle of the latest right-wing media battle for MAGA viewership.

In a cynical attempt to hamstring one of its main competitors, fringe cable channel One America News this week accused fellow pro-Trump outlet Newsmax of “being swept up by leftist censorship” after Newsmax anchor Bob Sellers stormed out of an interview when Lindell wouldn’t stop peddling voter fraud conspiracies.

The pillow mogul, who helped bankroll futile pro-Trump lawsuits to overturn Joe Biden’s election victory, has been the face of a dead-ender movement still holding onto the “Big Lie” that the election was “stolen” from former President Donald Trump. A week after the deadly Jan. 6 insurrection, he even visited Trump at the White House to sell Trump on another round of unproven election conspiracies, only to be sent packing by lawyers.

In a segment that first aired on OAN on Wednesday, host Jenn Pellegrino first noted that Lindell is “one of the latest targets” of “Big Tech oligarchs halting the flow of information to benefit their agendas.” Last month, the pillow salesman was permanently banned from Twitter for repeatedly violating the social-media platform’s policy of spreading election disinformation.

After playing a clip of Sellers interrupting Lindell and literally walking off the set, Pellegrino told OAN viewers to “watch as Newsmax censors Mike Lindell.” (Besides Sellers begging producers to “get out” of the interview, Lindell’s microphone was also turned down by the control room as the anchor read a statement that the election was “legal and certified” and Newsmax could not verify any allegations that voting machines flipped votes from Trump.)

“This wasn’t the first time Lindell was muzzled while appearing on Newsmax,” Pellegrino added, playing a clip of guest-host Sebastian Gorka stopping Lindell in his tracks as he attempted to push Dominion conspiracies.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/house-democrats-boot-marjorie-greene-off-committees-in-largely-partisan-vote?ref=scroll

5 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

but jfc, "neoliberal" and "san francisco liberal" aren't slurs.

I think Ty was just saying the right/GOP have used "SF liberal" as a slur against Pelosi.  Which, ya know, they have for about 15 years.

6 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Mostly agree with this, but jfc, "neoliberal" and "san francisco liberal" aren't slurs. 

I stayed out of the neoliberal debate because D-Money from New York did a better job than I would arguing how I see the issue, but San Francisco liberal is absolutely a slur used on the right.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

I think Ty was just saying the right/GOP have used "SF liberal" as a slur against Pelosi.  Which, ya know, they have for about 15 years.

Totally.  Just feels like all of a sudden every insult is a slur, which might be technically true, but words have meanings and I don't think we need to dilute the pool of what constitutes a "slur"

2 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Just feels like all of a sudden every insult is a slur

Oh, not that's "SF liberal" is a slur in and of itself.  Just that the right uses it as a slur.  Just as they've used liberal as a slur for decades - but with geography!  I'd be proud to be a SF liberal, if I was from SF.

8 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Totally.  Just feels like all of a sudden every insult is a slur, which might be technically true, but words have meanings and I don't think we need to dilute the pool of what constitutes a "slur"

The point was not to differentiate between an insult and a slur, but to point out it's wrong to cast Pelosi as being antagonistic to the left when just a short time ago she was getting the exact same treatment from the right as the Squad gets now.  

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Oh, not that's "SF liberal" is a slur in and of itself.  Just that the right uses it as a slur.  Just as they've used liberal as a slur for decades - but with geography!  I'd be proud to be a SF liberal, if I was from SF.

Being a San Francisco lefty, I find it a compliment that so much venom by the Right is directed at the politics of my home. I understand they mean it as a slur, but it also tells me we have to be doing something right.

What a "San Francisco Liberal" means is someplace that elects women and people of color to leadership. A beautiful place where the ability to love whom you love openly isn't viewed as a "sin" by the majority of one's neighbors.  In that regard, I hope San Francisco politics spreads to every corner of this country and becomes the "nightmare" the far right believes it to be in overcoming the bigotry and narrow mindedness that masquerades as "traditional American values."

The other part of the reality of "San Francisco Liberals" is we still have a long way to go to reach the City we need it to be.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The point was not to differentiate between an insult and a slur, but to point out it's wrong to cast Pelosi as being antagonistic to the left when just a short time ago she was getting the exact same treatment from the right as the Squad gets now.  

Except it is different to pretend like being attacked from the right is the same as being antagonized by the leader of your own party. As of right now my thinking is less that Pelosi is being actively antagonistic so much as it doesn't feel like she has their backs when it comes to interpersonal conflicts between the left of the party and the more corporate side of things.

As for San Francisco liberal, that is absolutely a slur, albeit a lesser one. There are deeply homophobic implications that go along with it due to San Francisco's association with the gay pride movement.

Greene's been removed from her committees and I am already  so goddamned tired of hearing about that dumb, vicious, clout-chasing, perpetually aggrieved shitweasel. I hate that becoming a camera-hogging troll has become the chief ambition for so many Republicans.

15 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Except it is different to pretend like being attacked from the right is the same as being antagonized by the leader of your own party. As of right now my thinking is less that Pelosi is being actively antagonistic so much as it doesn't feel like she has their backs when it comes to interpersonal conflicts between the left of the party and the more corporate side of things.

Because as the leader of House Dems she has to consider both sides, especially since her rise to power came in large part because she was very popular with both wings. I don't think Pelosi wants to keep young progressives down, especially young progressive women, but she has to also keep members in line and freshmen members are likely to get checked if they don't do so. But this also assumes she hasn't helped them in a myriad of ways either. It just doesn't get the same kind of attention.

Also, and unrelated, I have Maddow on in the background and finally I'm hearing someone say the obvious, MTG saying 9/11 happened isn't the same as saying it was a false flag attack. 

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Greene's been removed from her committees and I am already  so goddamned tired of hearing about that dumb, vicious, clout-chasing, perpetually aggrieved shitweasel. I hate that becoming a camera-hogging troll has become the chief ambition for so many Republicans.

Meh, I'd be trying to tie Republicans to her as hard as possible given how they've voted.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Meh, I'd be trying to tie Republicans to her as hard as possible given how they've voted.

Which is one reason Pelosi pushed for the vote. Every Republican who voted for Greene will have to explain their vote for crazy.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Bullshit--they've bent over backwards to be kind to her because she asked, and then she kept acting like a shit. She represents a group of people who are way too old to be making decisions for our futures. Until recently, AOC called her "mama-bear." Yet she goes out, mispronounces the names of their initiatives ("the green dream or whatever"), etc. She's about as bad as Feinstein at this point. She needs to go.

Getting defensive because she made bad decisions: Pelosi interview gets heated: You don’t know what you’re talking about - YouTube

(Note her smiling while Blitzer describes human suffering)

37 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

Ahh ... Pelosi was right. Blitzer was carrying water for Trump and the "problem solver" caucus. 

I've had many disagreements with Pelosi over the years (not that she would listen to me) but I respect her. Because she is old doesn't mean she isn't a fighter.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/photo-of-pelosi-meeting-with-trump-becomes-new-powerful-symbol-of-their-power-struggle-71512645789

Archived