DCEU: The Hare's Regret

JGP

9 hours ago, Relic said:

I think that's total bs. Making it out to be a big deal is the real issue here. 

I'd love to live in the ideal world where Superman can be whoever the writers please and it makes no difference and no-one cares but we don't and in this world making Superman black would/will be a big deal.

4 hours ago, Relic said:

He's kryptonion, not a human Caucasian. They wouldn't be changing his race. 

This feels like you're being deliberately obtuse. He lives as a white bloke, in fiction. He looks like and represents certain aspects of white America and the way white America sees itself, in real life.

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I'd suggest that there probably isn't that much appetite for a Superman movie that deals with racial problems in America,

Well, the Superman Smashes the Klan comic- an adaptation of a very early radio serial - seemed to be very popular last year and while obviously there isn't a 1:1 correllation between the comic and movie fandoms, I think you'd probably be surprised if they did make one. There'd be resistance to it of course, but there'd also be massive support.

I know I ain't watching no black superman. But that's only cause I ain't watching no superman never. Black, white, Asian, or HELL, even Portugeese. Don't make no difference to Jace so long as Warner Bros. Is in charge.

I followed the development of Superman Returns quite closely online, I remember the uproar when his cape was slightly darker. Then somebody photoshopped it lighter, then there was a few days of confusion as to whether that was actually the real one. It was, by 2006 internet standards, a big deal.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

This feels like you're being deliberately obtuse. He lives as a white bloke, in fiction. He looks like and represents certain aspects of white America and the way white America sees itself, in real life.

Well white America needs to grow the fuck up then. Does Bruce Wayne need to be a white guy lest white people lose their shit? Does Captain America need to be white? Like, does their skin color actually impact their identity? I mean, what are we debating here, really? 

You (or others) can cling to the whiteness of Clark Kent all you want. You (or others) can call me obtuse all you want. I think its bullshit, either way. 

9 hours ago, Heartofice said:

You would accept in the comic books, cartoons and movies that Superman is generally tall, well built, white, has dark hair etc?

Yup. Nick Fury used to be white too. So what?

I take it Steel/John Henry is no longer in the comic book universe? Thought he was the Mile Morales style solution for diversity but can't recall him in any major Justice League production though I don't follow the DC universe as much.

58 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I take it Steel/John Henry is no longer in the comic book universe? Thought he was the Mile Morales style solution for diversity but can't recall him in any major Justice League production though I don't follow the DC universe as much.

If this ain’t part of the DCEU...

Then I don’t want any part of it.

4 hours ago, Relic said:

Well white America needs to grow the fuck up then.

Did you think I was disputing this?

4 hours ago, Relic said:

You (or others) can cling to the whiteness of Clark Kent all you want. You (or others) can call me obtuse all you want. I think its bullshit, either way. 

Acknowledging something exists is not the same as clinging to it. You can refuse to acknowledge a situation all you want but pretending the world is a better place than it is doesn't make it so.

4 hours ago, Relic said:

Like, does their skin color actually impact their identity?

Yes, fucking obviously? Are you really suggesting that you don't think being other than white in America is a different (harder) experience than being white? Coz that's some real unhelpful 'I don't see race' stuff. Conflating 'what should be' and 'what is' helps no conversation in this respect.

7 hours ago, Relic said:

Yup. Nick Fury used to be white too. So what?

Well he was also black in the comics as well.

My point is, what if they cast a ginger superman, made Superman ginger? What if he was short. Why not cast Danny Di Vito as Superman? If it isn’t important that the character ‘look’ like the recognisable character from the comics then why bother at all, cast anyone. Why do they ever cast actors who tend to look like their comic book counterparts? Isn’t that discrimination? 

I get the point you are attempting to make, saying we should all be colour blind in casting and that race shouldn’t matter. But then clearly race does matter if you are making a politically charged Superman movie by a writer who writes about race. Casting a black superman in that case would the exact opposite of colour blind casting. 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Did you think I was disputing this?

Acknowledging something exists is not the same as clinging to it. You can refuse to acknowledge a situation all you want but pretending the world is a better place than it is doesn't make it so.

Yes, fucking obviously? Are you really suggesting that you don't think being other than white in America is a different (harder) experience than being white? Coz that's some real unhelpful 'I don't see race' stuff. Conflating 'what should be' and 'what is' helps no conversation in this respect.

I'm not sure what your point here is. Are some people going to be upset if superman is portrayed by a black actor? Yes. Obviously there will be people like that.

And what I'm saying is fuck them. Let them cry. 

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I get the point you are attempting to make, saying we should all be colour blind in casting and that race shouldn’t matter. 

When it comes to fictional characters that's 100 percent right. Especially when discussing aliens from another solar system. 

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

When it comes to fictional characters that's 100 percent right. Especially when discussing aliens from another solar system. 

So we shouldn’t ever bother casting actors who look like their characters? We can just cast anyone?

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

So we shouldn’t ever bother casting actors who look like their characters? We can just cast anyone?

When you recast a fictional character for the 9th or 10th time? I'd say by that point you could get creative. 

Just now, Relic said:

When you recast a fictional character for the 9th or 10th time? I'd say by that point you could get creative. 

Yeah you are really moving the goalposts now. So this rule of yours is only about fictional characters who have had, I’ll make a note, 9 or 10 previous actors playing them?  Is that the final rule?

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah you are really moving the goalposts now. So this rule of yours is only about fictional characters who have had, I’ll make a note, 9 or 10 previous actors playing them?  Is that the final rule?

Not moving anything. Still talking about Superman. 

Before he was played by an actor, he was a comic book character, and as already noted the comics have had black Supermen. In general they are explained as being part of alternate Earths, and from what we've been told previously, DC is now moving into using the multiverse as a source for its films. 

Just now, Heartofice said:

Ok so this rule is just about Superman? You can’t recast other characters and ignore what they look like?

What rule?  Did I make some sort of rule?

Fine, I'll indulge you. Here's a rule. Anything that makes racists cry is great. 

1 minute ago, Relic said:

What rule?  Did I make some sort of rule?

Fine, I'll indulge you. Here's a rule. Anything that makes racists cry is great. 

Ok so we are finally getting to it, you aren't really doing any of this out of some sort of colour blind principle at all. 

Archived