Opinions on the dragons?

Alyn Oakenfist

7 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

And Drogon is aware of all that how? Beyond the fact that the author needs it so Dany's story can make thematic sense?

I mean what you say is definitely true about what Dany needed, but it's what she needed for her character ark, something Drogon cannot know. In the story, he's just out of Dany's complete control.

Because  they have a deep connection and have had one ever since Drogon was still in his egg.  There are countless examples of them two of them acting as one including when she is having sex.. The whole point of ADWD is that Dany loses herself. That is why Drogon is away from her the whole booka nd why he returns when she is had enough of Mereen.

"Remember who you are, Daenerys,” the stars whispered in a woman's voice. “The dragons know. Do you?”

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

Because  they have a deep connection and have had one ever since Drogon was still in his egg.  There are countless examples of them two of them acting as one including when she is having sex.. The whole point of ADWD is that Dany loses herself. That is why Drogon is away from her the whole booka nd why he returns when she is had enough of Mereen.

I don't know, all you just said has big "Drogon burning the Iron Throne instead of Jon" vibes, with him somehow being aware of the story's themes.

1 minute ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I don't know, all you just said has big "Drogon burning the Iron Throne instead of Jon" vibes, with him somehow being aware of the story's themes.

I have no idea what this is even supposed to be mean

Just now, El Guapo said:

I have no idea what this is even supposed to be mean

One of the many, many, many dumb moment in S8E6 was when after Dany died, Drogon, instead of burning Jon then and there, somehow opts to burn the symbolism. That moment is completely dumb, and requires Drogon to have read the script and the "themes" (you know, those things for eight grade book reports) that the two chucklefucks were trying to show.

In a similar note, all you just said about Drogon carrying Dany "where she needed to be" only makes sense if Drogon read the TWOW before us.

45 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I think the Others are bound to have reasons for their actions, rather like the Norns in Memory Sorrow and Thorn and The Witchwood Crown (and the Norns/Others parallel is very plain).  But, that doesn't mean they are still not very dangerous towards humanity.

I knida flirt with a cool theory that I've heard in regards to The Others : that they are former Children of the Forest.:P

1 hour ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

One of the many, many, many dumb moment in S8E6 was when after Dany died, Drogon, instead of burning Jon then and there, somehow opts to burn the symbolism. That moment is completely dumb, and requires Drogon to have read the script and the "themes" (you know, those things for eight grade book reports) that the two chucklefucks were trying to show.

In a similar note, all you just said about Drogon carrying Dany "where she needed to be" only makes sense if Drogon read the TWOW before us.

Sorry but this is just ridiculous and it just tells me you need to re-read ADWD. Or may be use the search function on this site and read the many threads that have analyzed Drogon's bond with Dany and her last chapter in ADWD particular.

(and why I say "where she needs be" I am talking metaphorically)

4 minutes ago, Dracul's Daughter said:

I knida flirt with a cool theory that I've heard the regard to The Others : that they are former Children of the Forest.:P

Martin borrows heavily from Tad Williams.  The Norns look like the Others, and can raise the dead against humanity. Their society is really quite dreadful - but they do have some very genuine grievances against humans.

13 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Wait, so Craster's sons are both Stark and Children of the Forest?

The idea that The Others might be former Children of the Forest is because Martin describes them as the Sidhe (whom are spirits of the forest) made of ice.As for Craster's sons being Starks I don't know WTF are you talking about.:lol:

42 minutes ago, CamiloRP said:

Dunno, we don't know their goal, based insane storiesit seems like they want to kill all humans just 'cause, but GRRM doesn't write that, and the stories were written by the humans thousands of years ago (in fact the weren't even written) so they are likely exaggerated to make the others look worse. If the Others end up being just creatures the humans hate bc of prejudice and they hate the humans just because of prejudice, they can be dealt with without violence. But the slaver's can't be dealt with without violence.

According to George R. R. Martin, the Others "are strange, beautiful… think, oh… the Sidhe made of ice, something like that… a different sort of life… inhuman, elegant, dangerous."[5]

And there are clearly misunderstandings about them as : although Old Nan describes the Others as "dead things",[6] Martin has stated that the Others are not dead.[5] However, the Night's King's queen, presumably an Other due to her blue eyes and pale skin, is described as a "corpse queen" on account of her white, cold skin.[7][8]

And I think we'll find more when the books are out.

23 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Martin borrows heavily from Tad Williams.  The Norns look like the Others, and can raise the dead against humanity. Their society is really quite dreadful - but they do have some very genuine grievances against humans.

I really have to read "Memory" ,"Sorrow" and "Thorn":wub::read:

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

I think the Others are bound to have reasons for their actions, rather like the Norns in Memory Sorrow and Thorn and The Witchwood Crown (and the Norns/Others parallel is very plain).  But, that doesn't mean they are still not very dangerous towards humanity.

Of course, it depends on the reasons tho, if you are able to find it (and I few care to) at the beginning of this thread I made my case for the solution to the Other's not being war, my money for their reasons is just thousand year old prejudice/propaganda or a need to move South for survival and then being attacked by the humans who spot them.

Edit: I almost forget another really likely reason based on GRRM's other stories: the COTF are driving war between the Others and Humanity to get rid of both.

3 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

So, it does matter if my neighbour's dog bites me or the president's? If my neighbour's does, then it doesn't even matter because she's my neighbour, but if the president's dog bites me, should I call the police to arrest him because he's the president? Or is it wrong because it was his dog? No. The same law applies to all of us. Everyone is responsible (or not) for their own equally.

You are comparing a fantasy nuclear weapon to a dog bite.

6 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Exactly. If someone doesn't keep a close watch on their dog it's no problem. If someone doesn't keep a close watch on a nuke, that's a whole different ball game.

2 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Then give me another IRL example we can compare this situation to. Wait, dragons aren't real.

Anyway, you could've seen my point if you wanted to.

21 hours ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

Definitely symbols of greatness.  They are magnificent creatures.  An experienced sailor like Quhuru went out of his way to see the dragons with his own eyes.  The captain was not motivated by greed nor lust for power.  He simply wanted to see Dany's dragons.  I'm sure Dany's reputation for being very beautiful was additional encouragement to make that trip and deliver the wonderful news.  

Fighting the weather will be quite futile.  Dany and her dragons will come in after the last frost and dispose of the remaining wights.  The Others will have retreated back to their hell hole in the north at the first hint of thaw.  The dragons will allow Dany to rebuild civilization and start the first great empire of the new age.  

:agree:

Daenerys, Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion are what remains of all the great and wonderful things about Old Valyria.  Valyria without the slavery.  The dragons are fire made flesh and fire is power.  The direwolves and white walkers are ice and ice is death.   

Archived