U.S. Politiks: The Manchin-ian Candidate

Jace, Extat

I definitely wouldn't describe Farrow's role vis-a-vis Woody Allen as "journalistic."  He does, obviously, have journalistic bona fides in the subject area as he played a large part in bringing down Weinstein.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I definitely wouldn't describe Farrow's role vis-a-vis Woody Allen as "journalistic."  He does, obviously, have journalistic bona fides in the subject area as he played a large part in bringing down Weinstein.

How is he not a journalist? He does a lot of celebrity investigative work, which he's better set up to do than most starting off in that field, of course.  That's not any kind of disqualification.  And Cuomo certainly counts as political reporting, does it not?

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/ronan-farrow

Ronan Farrow is an investigative reporter and a contributing writer to The New Yorker. He is also currently producing documentaries for HBO. His stories for The New Yorker exposed the first sexual-assault allegations against the movie producer Harvey Weinstein and the first misconduct allegations against CBS executives, including then C.E.O. Leslie Moonves. He was also responsible for the first detailed accounts of payments made by the National Enquirer’s parent company in order to suppress stories about Donald Trump during the 2016 Presidential campaign. For his reporting on Weinstein, Farrow won the Pulitzer Prize for public service, the National Magazine Award, and the George Polk Award, among other honors. He previously worked as an anchor and investigative reporter at MSNBC and NBC News, with his print commentary and reporting appearing in publications including the Wall Street Journal, the Los Angeles Times, and the Washington Post. Farrow is the author of “War on Peace: The End of Diplomacy and the Decline of American Influence” and “Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators.” He is a graduate of Yale Law School and a member of the New York Bar. He recently completed a Ph.D. in political science at Oxford University, where he studied as a Rhodes Scholar. Prior to his career in journalism, he served as a State Department official in Afghanistan and Pakistan. He lives in New York.

In the Allen case, I would argue R. Farrow is not a journalist, or is compromised as a journalist, beause he is directly affected; he is a witness, a relative of the potential victims; he is himself another victim in the sense that he lost his father in several ways as a result of what allegedly happened, etc. That does not mean he isn't right about Allen, just that he can't be seen as a journalist in his case - no matter how much he writes about it.

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

How is he not a journalist?

That wasn't my point.  As Mindwalker said, I'm saying it's rather impossible to be objective, and an obvious conflict of interest, when the subject is your estranged/widely thought of to not actually be father.  Thus, his role there is not journalistic.

14 minutes ago, Comrade Jace, Leftist said:

Mrs. Jacelyn Foster Kane...:wub:

Well that's a weird crush ya got there.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

And often dull with maturity.

Or become distressingly reactionary. Not in the political sense, but incapable of moderating their thoughts and emotions to the point that every stimuli achieves an outsized but paradoxically uniform outburst. Positive vs negative stimuli ultimately irrelevant. A click is a click is a click

15 minutes ago, Comrade Jace, Leftist said:

Or become distressingly reactionary. Not in the political sense, but incapable of moderating their thoughts and emotions to the point that every stimuli achieves an outsized but paradoxically uniform outburst. Positive vs negative stimuli ultimately irrelevant. A click is a click is a click

Click. 

16 minutes ago, Comrade Jace, Leftist said:

incapable of moderating their thoughts and emotions to the point that every stimuli achieves an outsized but paradoxically uniform outburst. Positive vs negative stimuli ultimately irrelevant.

My favorite is the language employed for clickbait, i.e. politician x DESTROYED by talking head y.

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Click. 

Click click boom!

So in case anyone missed election season, elections start again today in Louisiana.  Joy!  Two jungle primaries to replace Cedric Richmond and the seat won by Luke Letlow, who died of covid just before New Years.  This Axios post has a good rundown on the remaining schedule for major elections this year.

So Biden is trying to go with a harder line on Russia. https://news.yahoo.com/biden-administration-launch-cyber-attacks-173336952.html

After years of bullying on the seas, cyber criminality and electioneering misinformation attacks from Putin.

All I can say is ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME someone stood up to this scumbag.

3 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

In the Allen case, I would argue R. Farrow is not a journalist, or is compro,mised as a journalist beause he is directly affected; he is a witness, a relative of the potential victims; he is himself another victim in the sense that he lost his father in several ways as a result of what allegedly happened, etc. That does not mean he isn't right about Allen, just that he can't be seen as a journalist in his case - no matter how much he writes about it.

I see what you mean then, and yah, in this case.  His experience as a journalist with so much other sexual abuse allowed him to believe his sister, speak out saying so, and to support her.  Which allowed her to speak out again, and go ahead with this documentary about her heartbreaking abuse.

But it was indeed his previous journalist experience that showed him the signs, so to speak.  He wasn't compromised unless you believe his support and statements as to why he believes his sister, out of their shared experiences, is compromising him, that he's got no right to do that.

As I never believed Allen myself ever -- Manhattan and a whole buncha of his stuff has put his stuff, so to speak. right out there, for a long time.  That he's now seen hanging out as much as he did with Epstein -- well, on top of that, which the media is only NOW willing to talk about -- well, part of that now makes Clinton look worse and worse, doesn't it?  even though very young girls per se never seemed his preference . . . . But these predators, why do they so hang out?  Like hunting packs.

Filibuster opponents just got good news from a key Democratic holdout on reform
Senate Democrats don’t yet have the votes for reform, but they appear to be agonizingly close.

https://www.vox.com/2021/3/20/22341271/feinstein-filibuster-reform-talking-joe-manchin-kyrsten-sinema-joe-biden-senate-60-votes

But the National Review’s piece appears to have had a very short shelf life. In a statement released Friday night, Feinstein now says she’s “open” to changing the Senate’s filibuster rules, if necessary to pass legislation such as expanded background checks for firearm purchases, reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, or a voting rights bill.

“Ideally the Senate can reach bipartisan agreement on those issues,” the 87-year-old senator said in the statement. “But if that proves impossible and Republicans continue to abuse the filibuster by requiring cloture votes, I’m open to changing the way the Senate filibuster rules are used.”

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Ffs is Feinstein really 87 yrs old?

There's nothing sane or admireable about anyone clinging to vestiges of power and privilege till the moment they flop into a grave.

Move the hell on and let some new blood in for ffs.

I hate the idea of establishing a mandated retirement age much as I oppose the concept of term limits, but at 87 years old, fucking retire. Like a decade ago.

Archived