U.S. Politiks: The Manchin-ian Candidate

Jace, Extat

2 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

That better get here PDQ. I’m terrified one of the geezers in the Senate is going to keel over and hand the keys over to McConnell.

Well, I'm not sure how to make the end of June get here quicker.  But, there was a NYT op-ed yesterday urging him to retire immediately for precisely that reason.  While Campos' statement therein that "the odds that Democrats will lose control of the Senate in the next 22 months are probably close to a coin flip" makes it clear he's a lawyer that's bad at math, it is a significant possibility.

3 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

drugs

1 minute ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Let me eat these shrooms I’ve been saving and I’ll see what I can come up with.

Sharing is caring!

It should be noted that the only real fears among Dem Senators over 70 being replaced are Shaheen in NH and Manchin (of course).  Baker may appoint a Republican as an interim replacement in Massachusetts, but if both the Senate and a SC seat are on the line, a Dem is gonna win that special election.  In Vermont, Phil Scott would appoint someone that would caucus with the Dems and, therefore, vote to confirm Biden's nominee (plus it'd be an interim appointment as well).  Hogan is a Republican gov in Maryland, but under law he'd have to appoint a Democrat.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Sharing is caring!

I've got several zips in jars and Idk what to do with them. I don't smoke that much anymore.

Also, Operation Weekend at Bernie's is still in play if an older Senator dies. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, Operation Weekend at Bernie's is still in play if an older Senator dies. 

If Sanders dies the obvious solution is simply to replace him with Larry David.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No. Life must imitate art. This is how we start the rise of Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Louis-Dreyfus could buy a Senate seat just with her family's money.

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No. Life must imitate art. This is how we start the rise of Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

26 minutes ago, DMC said:

Louis-Dreyfus could buy a Senate seat just with her family's money.

So Biden has come out in favor of returning to a talking filibuster:

"I don't think that you have to eliminate the filibuster, you have to do it what it used to be when I first got to the Senate back in the old days," Biden told ABC News' George Stephanopoulos. "You had to stand up and command the floor; you had to keep talking."

"So you're for that reform? You're for bringing back the talking filibuster?" Stephanopoulos asked.

"I am. That's what it was supposed to be," Biden responded.

Simply reverting to a talking filibuster as a solution is..complicated, as McConnell warned earlier today.  Ian Millhiser at Vox already has a pretty good write up explaining some of the difficulties and how to get around them.  Be interesting to see how Manchin and Sinema react.

sentence on a far right political flier that passed through my hands today:

'America is under attack by the media, the educational establishment, and the Democratic Party.'

Note how the author left out 'liberal/leftist' media and 'liberal/leftist' education establishment.  Broad condemnation of entire concepts here.

Sounds almost like a call for a one party state with a state controlled media and  constricted education.

24 minutes ago, DMC said:

So Biden has come out in favor of returning to a talking filibuster:

Simply reverting to a talking filibuster as a solution is..complicated, as McConnell warned earlier today.  Ian Millhiser at Vox already has a pretty good write up explaining some of the difficulties and how to get around them.  Be interesting to see how Manchin and Sinema react.

I saw someone claim something like this (but I won't get it exactly correct):

If the filibuster were gone it would increase rather than decrease bipartisanship because minority would know stuff was headed for passage regardless and then want a seat at the table to influence bill.  

Wasn't sure if that made sense though cause isn't that kind of how it is now with status quo?  

ETA:  Just realized I have a "commoner" status.  y'all are elitists

7 minutes ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

Wasn't sure if that made sense though cause isn't that kind of how it is now with status quo?  

It doesn't.  The majority has no incentive to give the minority a seat at the table without the filibuster.  The only reason they would is under divided government, in which case bipartisan agreements are required anyway.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

It doesn't.  The majority has no incentive to give the minority a seat at the table without the filibuster.  The only reason they would is under divided government, in which case bipartisan agreements are required anyway.

Right, this sounded to me like a wishful thinking take.  

Not that I'm against ditching it; just not sure if this exact thing is legit.

I think for the Dems right now there are legit, compelling reasons to ditch.  It is for sure a two-sided blade though.  

Imagine it's 2024, Biden has decided not to run again, and DeSantis has just defeated Harris.  GOP with tomfoolery has retaken House by lots and Senate easy to get to 54 or something cause plain states.  GOP says "there we so many questions! about the 2020 election and we need election reforms" and passes some pretty troubling stuff through House and Senate with 51-54 votes in Senate and then POTUS DeSantis signs.  

Not that hard to see happening...

Not endorsing this take.  All kinds of counter-arguments on why the filibuster sucks too.  But the GOP in its current form prolly oughtta be a part of the analysis.  

22 hours ago, DMC said:

Newsom commits to appointing black woman if Feinstein retires

Not surprised he committed to an AA woman, am a bit surprised he responded to the hypothetical though.  Maybe he knows something we don't?  A man can hope!

Sorry, no. We can't have any of that kind of thing getting out. People might actually start to look up from their feet and paying attention to what is happening in the world. That can't be allowed.

57 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Much of America has another shooting spree to read over in their morning headlines. Apparently some Georgian lunatic has murdered 8, mostly Asian woman, at multiple Spa sites.

Good times.

Congratulations! I was waiting to see if anyone would mention this, if 8 deaths would worth noticing.

12 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Congratulations! I was waiting to see if anyone would mention this, if 8 deaths would worth noticing.

Mmn. I too was somewhat surprised no one had brought it up [here] yet. Reports and antiracist responses dominated my twitter timeline for most of the day and night yesterday, and still going this morning.

Archived