Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ser Scot A Ellison

Am I the only person who has never used an illegal drug

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Why you become a crack head is clearly a whole different conversation.

This has been my point the entire time - that intervening factors explain the difference, not the drug itself.  Emphasizing this is important because, when you don't, you gin up fears that lead to things like mandatory minimums resulting in the vast disparity in nonviolent offenders being incarcerated, disproportionate focus on crime in low-income communities, etc. - which in turn make the aggregate statistics self-perpetuating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Does anyone still think coke is mainly a Wall Street kinda thing? I’m always amazed at how widespread it is.

It was tongue-in-cheek stereotyping to make a point.  Of course coke has always been more widespread than Wall Street fucks (or Hollywood, or...), even in the 80s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've never tried weed and didn't try alcohol until after I was 21 (then didn't try it again until I was 29). I think I've drank maybe 4-5 times in total over my life now. I was possibly drunk the time I drank at 21, and probably tipsy on another occasion I drank (neither state had been sought or expected by me, but I didn't really try to avoid them either). But I've never felt curious/interested in weed (or anything harder) and have just not had much interest in alcohol either. I'd say it's mostly wanting my mind to be clear, but also one of my parents was a substance abuser and I think that just left me feeling uncomfortable with "substances" to an extent since.

The time I was tipsy was fun, but I felt no desire to get tipsy (or go anywhere further) again. I was once high off a prescription med unintentionally (side effect) too. It also was pleasurable and interesting as it happened, but like with the tipsiness I felt no desire to re-experience such a state. I didn't have strong feelings about either experiences when I reflected, but I mostly didn't like the compromised judgment and altered behaviors I'd had (or could have had), and felt negatively about the states I'd been in on the whole. I don't feel any different now and I will probably just continue in my lack of recreational substance use as I have been. I don't look down on those who differ, I'm just not interested.

Edited by Lizard Queen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lizard Queen said:

I've never tried weed and didn't try alcohol until after I was 21 (then didn't try it again until I was 29). I think I've drank maybe 4-5 times in total over my life now. I was possibly drunk the time I drank at 21, and probably tipsy on another occasion I drank (neither state had been sought or expected by me, but I didn't really try to avoid them either). But I've never felt curious/interested in weed (or anything harder) and have just not had much interest in alcohol either. I'd say it's mostly wanting my mind to be clear, but also one of my parents was a substance abuser and I think that just left me feeling uncomfortable with "substances" to an extent since.

The time I was tipsy was fun, but I felt no desire to get tipsy (or go anywhere further) again. I was once high off a prescription med unintentionally (side effect) too. It also was pleasurable and interesting as it happened, but like with the tipsiness I felt no desire to re-experience such a state. I didn't have strong feelings about either experiences when I reflected, but I mostly didn't like the compromised judgment and altered behaviors I'd had (or could have had), and felt negatively about the states I'd been in on the whole. I don't feel any different now and I will probably just continue in my lack of recreational substance use as I have been. I don't look down on those who differ, I'm just not interested.

It sounds like the straightedge may be right for you, can I interest you in some early hardcore and 2000s pop punk albums?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a ska kid then but all my straight edge buddies were always pushing me to listen to Minor Threat, Gorilla Biscuits, 10 Yard Fight, and Bane.  Straight edge crew was awesome, always had a safe ride home and sober people to watch your back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2021 at 5:10 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So, my siblings and I had a zoom discussion about my mom.  She 74 and lives alone.  None of us (I’m the oldest of 4 it’s me, my sister, and two brothers behind us) are closer than an hour and a half drive from her.  During that discussion they started making jokes about smoking pot.

I’ve never done that.  I’ve never eaten pot brownies.  I’ve never consumed any “illegal” drugs beyond alcohol before I reached legal age.  They were very casual about it and all had tried it at some point.  It felt really awkward.

I don’t smoke and have no desire to ever “smoke” anything.  I don’t particularly like being drunk but I enjoy the flavor of beer, scotch, and bourbon.  

I feel like the only person on the planet who has never used anything other than alcohol and has no desire to use anything other than alcohol.  Is there anyone else, here, in that catagory? 
 

Please understand I’m not condemning anyone who does use substances that are currently illegal, I just wonder if anyone else is in my position.

I've never used anything including alcohol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sampled weed a couple times in college and got nothing out of it, as I didn't feel any different than if I'd simply been drinking. So I've stuck with alcohol.  

I generally keep my personal thoughts about drugs in general, as I have come to realize I'm very much overly judgemental about something I have no right be be judgemental about. Simple to say I dislike drugs, illegal or otherwise. But that's just me.

In recent years though, I have come to the conclusion that Marijuana and some other drugs would be better legalized and subsequently regulated much like alcohol is.  I have zero use for weed, but then again, I also don't drink much tequila or scotch, but I don't call for those items to be removed from the shelves.  Regulate it. Tax it. 

Having the realization that the illegality of drugs also has contributed to so many issues within the criminal justice system also has altered my thinking on it as well

Again, I got no use, but have at it, if it's your thing.  I very much will do my level best to not give any side eyes.  Not my place.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Hah! 

I'm the opposite. I drink plenty but try to avoid caffeine as much as possible. 

Given I can't wean off caffeine without it shredding my brain with the worst migraines of my life as I try to pull it's hooks out, even when I'm being given morphine at the time, I think there's a lot of sense in avoiding caffeine. It's the prescription drugs that we the line in the sand for me, as my life at this point is literally not worth living without them. 

2 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

It sounds like the straightedge may be right for you, can I interest you in some early hardcore and 2000s pop punk albums?

I really really appreciate having you back on here lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, karaddin said:

Given I can't wean off caffeine without it shredding my brain with the worst migraines of my life as I try to pull it's hooks out, even when I'm being given morphine at the time, I think there's a lot of sense in avoiding caffeine. It's the prescription drugs that we the line in the sand for me, as my life at this point is literally not worth living without them. 

I really really appreciate having you back on here lol.

Just wait till I pull out the ‘ol edgebreak facebreak saw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

I was a ska kid then but all my straight edge buddies were always pushing me to listen to Minor Threat, Gorilla Biscuits, 10 Yard Fight, and Bane.  Straight edge crew was awesome, always had a safe ride home and sober people to watch your back.  

If you were a ska kid I would’ve personally tried to lure you in with H20 and early AFI instead. No ska kid wants to jump straight into Bane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2021 at 10:20 PM, karaddin said:

Given I can't wean off caffeine without it shredding my brain with the worst migraines of my life as I try to pull it's hooks out, even when I'm being given morphine at the time, I think there's a lot of sense in avoiding caffeine. It's the prescription drugs that we the line in the sand for me, as my life at this point is literally not worth living without them. 

I had a HORRIBLE caffeine addiction in grad school, and that was pure hell to wean off it. I also had a toddler, so grad school + toddler = caffeine addiction. 

Morphine gives me headaches, so morphine would not have saved the from the Great Caffeine Detox of 1998. That was bad. BAD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I had a HORRIBLE caffeine addiction in grad school, and that was pure hell to wean off it. I also had a toddler, so grad school + toddler = caffeine addiction. 

Morphine gives me headaches, so morphine would not have saved the from the Great Caffeine Detox of 1998. That was bad. BAD.

I just have no intention of ever weaning off again lol. This can accompany me to the grave, I like my brain non-shredded.

And my chronic migraine is at the upper end of the spectrum so my inability to deal with the withdrawal ones is significant, I hate the normal ones but I can get through them and meds work on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I had a HORRIBLE caffeine addiction in grad school, and that was pure hell to wean off it. I also had a toddler, so grad school + toddler = caffeine addiction. 

Morphine gives me headaches, so morphine would not have saved the from the Great Caffeine Detox of 1998. That was bad. BAD.

 

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

I just have no intention of ever weaning off again lol. This can accompany me to the grave, I like my brain non-shredded.

I believe I read once that caffeine can kill you if you took a pill of it, chopped it up and snorted it like it was cocaine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

 

I believe I read once that caffeine can kill you if you took a pill of it, chopped it up and snorted it like it was cocaine. 

Hmmm....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Hmmm....

Yessir?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Yessir?

Not sure I believe that. Not that you read it, but I don't think snorting a caffeine pill is going to kill anyone.

I think you should test it. For science.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Not sure I believe that. Not that you read it, but I don't think snorting a caffeine pill is going to kill anyone.

I think you should test it. For science.

 

Coke, the drink, may be stronger today than when it had actual cocaine in it. Just something to think about, like how many things we deem as hard drugs today were casual over the counter affairs a century ago, and the irrational ways in which we judge what should be legal and fine and which are the devil's work we must irrationally oppose.

I'm going to go smoke a plant now. Some would call it obvious medicine. Others would jail me for using it. Hence why the topic on "illegality" here is laughable. If you don't want to do drugs, that's fine, or drink, which is fine too, but attaching legality and morality in this sense is silly. Just say you don't want to take any mind-altering drugs, but be honest with yourself as you say that while swigging back a hug gulp of coffee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...