Covid-19 #28: Astra Projecting is an Out of Body Experience

Fragile Bird

15 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Why does there need to be CDC approval to ship doses to other countries? We approved them, just give us them.

There doesn’t. Trump signed an Executive Order saying no vaccine can be exported from the US until every American who wants a vaccine gets it. There is no time limit in the EO, and no definition of what “every” means, nor how it’s determined. If on July 4th 100 M Americans still aren’t vaccinated I think you can expect no vaccine will leave the country. Biden has not cancelled that EO.

Also, people want school kids vaccinated as well. That’s another 80 M people.

50 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Why does there need to be CDC approval to ship doses to other countries? We approved them, just give us them.

Except just this week the AZ was stopped in other countries.  Imagine, if it turned out there were real problems with it, and the US President had moved those doses along to elsewheres, what all would be said and accused.  :(

It's really hard for all of us who are so wanting vaccinations, and to have these obstacles and so many others, in our way.

Some people on this planet, namely Donald Trump and Boris Johnson, really fucked up during the pandemic and so they had to appeal to the lowest of the low instincts of human beings, jingoism and us vs. them. And so they created the vaccine race. So that they could tell themselves, „their“ people and the world how great they are and how bad the others. Biden is in a tough spot so I cut him some slack. Imagine the furor of the rabbid maga masses if he had allowed American produced vaccines to leave the country. 

Anyway, it is what it is and at the end of the day will just accelerate the final end of the old world order. The influence of big business is still strong and they will always push for a globalized economy but their influence decreases. Politicians after all, whether elected or not, have to appeal to the masses and have their support. 

7 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

There doesn’t. Trump signed an Executive Order saying no vaccine can be exported from the US until every American who wants a vaccine gets it. There is no time limit in the EO, and no definition of what “every” means, nor how it’s determined. If on July 4th 100 M Americans still aren’t vaccinated I think you can expect no vaccine will leave the country. Biden has not cancelled that EO.

Also, people want school kids vaccinated as well. That’s another 80 M people.

If the US goverment foresees even a small chance that people will need a booster shot I doubt that we will see significant exports even after everyone who wants to is vaccinated. 

Moncef Slaoui, who headed Trump’s Operation Warp Speed team, was fired from the Board of GlaxoSmithKline for sexual harassment allegations.

I think the Board must have had pretty good evidence of those allegations to fire a Board member, and one with such a huge profile.

I’m just full of fun news this morning!

The COO of a small Chicago hospital that served a largely black community has resigned after it was revealed he used vaccine meant for the community for early vaccinations of other people instead.

Dr. Anosh Ahmed bought a $2.5 M condo in the Chicago Trump tower 5 months ago. He arranged to have 72 tower employees vaccinated three weeks ahead of schedule. He offered vaccines to judges. He had the staff of a luxury watch shop he frequented vaccinated. The last straw seems to have been the news he had the staff of the luxury steakhouse where he liked to eat, and where steaks can cost as much as $180, vaccinated.

That’s the most egregious case I’ve heard of so far. Governor Cuomo has been attacked because he had members of his family vaccinated, the kind of thing you expect goes on, and I bet he’s not the only governor who’s done that. *correction* Cuomo tested family members last year when access to testing was difficult, not vaccinated family members.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

The COO of a small Chicago hospital that served a largely black community has resigned after it was revealed he used vaccine meant for the community for early vaccinations of other people instead.

Just a few things worth adding about this story.  While the COO of Loretto Hospital did those things and has resigned, he was not the only one.  The CEO also did such things - including people at his church.  He has not resigned.

Loretto Hospital was the first hospital to get and administer the vaccine in Chicago. They were the ones televised on tv showing the first nurse. The City specially picked them to highlight how they were bringing the vaccine to the areas most in need in Chicago.

Also this story - all of the stories because each incident was investigated and reported separately, they did not come out all at once - was broken not by the major newspapers or tv news stations in Chicago but by a small non for profit reader funded news service, Block Club Chicago.  Block Club Chicago has been great about reporting on local virus and vaccine news.  I always start with them first when looking for local information on that because they are doing a way better job than anyone else.

I got a vaccination appointment! April 22nd. We'll see whether I will survive till then.

Though I'm a bit confused. I'm supposed to go to a center that uses both BioNtech and AstraZeneca, simply because every single other place told me they don't have open appointments. I chose BioNtech in the online form, but when I clicked to accept that, it said "If you are a school teacher, please choose AstraZeneca."

Huh? Is that... is that a suggestion or an order? I was under the impression I was free to choose. There was no option to go back though, the appointment was already booked. I'm a bit baffled, but I guess I will have to see where this goes.

7 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Sounds like it’s a suggestion, as in “please choose”, not “you must choose” or “you are required to choose.”

Quite probably, but I just found it odd that it comes up AFTER you already filled everything out. For that matter, I would have thought if I choose AstraZeneca, I would get an appointment next week. What with thousands of doses sitting around because nobody wants to deal with its severe side effects and somewhat more limited efficacy. That said, primary school teachers and police offers were forced to take AstraZeneca while now upper school teachers only got the ability to choose after the vaccination with AstraZeneca was briefly halted, so things are a bit tense right now.

Also while on the website I was able to take a look at the list with the vaccination groups and it made me genuinely mad to see that cashiers and other retail worker are only in the group before last. What the fuck? The people who are constantly exposed to just about everybody that comes by to buy food? Another kick into the groin for essential workers...

1 minute ago, rotting sea cow said:

Probably you are then stuck with AZ, as all teachers and the rest of commoners. Only the old people and some health workers (not all of them) are getting Pfizer. The prioritization is very opaque overall.

Here in Austria people with booked appointments got Pfizer instead of AZ recently because of supply problems.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/26/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/

Soaring demand for coronavirus vaccines in one of the world’s worst hot spots is causing a global supply shortage of up to 90 million vaccine doses, according to the United Nations, a setback to immunization efforts primarily in poorer countries.

A surge in new cases in India is putting pressure on the Serum Institute of India — a major global vaccine manufacturer — to divert resources toward domestic production, the U.N.-backed Covax Facility said. The facility seeks the equitable distribution of coronavirus vaccines worldwide.

In a statement, Covax said that it has warned participating nations of the expected delays, which will affect supplies both of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine and its locally made version, Covishield....

1 hour ago, lady narcissa said:

Also this story - all of the stories because each incident was investigated and reported separately, they did not come out all at once - was broken not by the major newspapers or tv news stations in Chicago but by a small non for profit reader funded news service, Block Club Chicago.  Block Club Chicago has been great about reporting on local virus and vaccine news.  I always start with them first when looking for local information on that because they are doing a way better job than anyone els

Ya -- the frackin' media!  Their attitude yesterday at Biden's first press conference was despicable.  Instead of talking about the pandemic and vaccinations, infrastructure and the stim checks or anything else TOTALLY MEANINGFUL TO EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THIS NATION, they focused on previous and the 2024 election.  Then they captioned their pieces with Biden yearns for you know who.  Yes, looking at YOU WaPo.  About 5000 comments to this weighed in, furious at the WaPo.  But because of the number of outraged comments, the WaPo now labels this hit piece, only one of several it has up about the press conference, all with previous's name featured, 'most read!"

Maybe we need to change or at least amend that bromide, "First we kill the lawyers," to "First we kill the so called media journalists."

At least somebody at the WaPo had  sense of shame: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/03/25/biden-excels-his-first-news-conference-media-embarrass-themselves/

Plus:

"Not a single reporter at Biden’s first presidential news conference asked about the pandemic"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2021/03/25/biden-pandemic-questions/

But those are hidden away, generally sectioned as "opinion", while the bs was in great big letters as NEWS.  Feh.  I spit.

Ah -- here's something else -- I apologize for such  long comment, but this is of great interest to us here:

"For Biden, a New Virus Dilemma: How to Handle a Looming Glut of Vaccine
As U.S. manufacturers hit their stride, vaccine scarcity will soon turn to plenty as much of the world goes begging. And vaccine makers need answers now about what to do with the coming surplus."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/26/us/biden-coronavirus-vaccine.html?

....President Biden has promised enough doses by the end of May to immunize all of the nation’s roughly 260 million adults. But between then and the end of July, the government has locked in commitments from manufacturers for enough vaccine to cover 400 million people — about 70 million more than the nation’s entire population.

Whether to keep, modify or redirect those orders is a question with significant implications, not just for the nation’s efforts to contain the virus but also for how soon the pandemic can be brought to an end. Of the vaccine doses given globally, about three-quarters have gone to only 10 countries. At least 30 countries have not yet injected a single person.

And global scarcity threatens to grow more acute as nations and regions clamp down on vaccine exports. With infections soaring, India, which had been a major vaccine distributor, is now holding back nearly all of the 2.4 million doses manufactured daily by a private company there. That action follows the European Union’s decision this week to move emergency legislation that would curb vaccine exports for the next six weeks.....

7 minutes ago, Toth said:

My mother is now screaming at me why I made that appointment and that I'm an idiot for letting myself get vaccinated... Ugh...

My sympathies. My SiL knows I am getting a vaccine when I can, but my brother has been misleading her because she has become a real anti-vaxxer, and he doesn't want strife in their household. We have discussed sneaking him out, but now I have suggested that he tell her he will get vaccinated in support of me. We have not told her that he snuck out one day and got the pneumonia vaccine with me. I had suggested it back in December as protection if we should catch the virus.

2 hours ago, Toth said:

My mother is now screaming at me why I made that appointment and that I'm an idiot for letting myself get vaccinated... Ugh...

Ask her how her house-searching is going, and when exactly you can expect her to fuck off.

Some good news here - I was watching the federal government press conference and the Minister of Public Services and Procurement announced the 1.5 M AZ doses from the US will arrive by truck on Tuesday.

I hope they are shipping the Mexico supply by plane.

Just got my first shot of the Moderna vaccine.  Whole process took about exactly an hour, including the 15 minute observation period after.  Got it at Pitt's arena, lotta students in the waiting area which was encouraging (if still, ya know, obvious).  Didn't feel anything initially, when I got out of the car and walked up to my apartment started feeling light headed - even pretty high.  Still do.  Yeah vaccine!

Anyway, being a smoker finally payed off as I "qualified" for PA's 1A phase.

Archived