Hugo Nominations & Awards: 2021 and Onward

LugaJetboyGirl

18 minutes ago, Ran said:

Shits and giggles suits are always a possibility, of course, and always have been. 

I’d suggest they’re being encouraged with comments like Kevin’s (offered in good faith) about the inability to defend the integrity of the Hugo Award (etc.).

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’d suggest they’re being encouraged with comments like Kevin’s (offered in good faith) about the inability to defend the integrity of the Hugo Award (etc.).

They're being encouraged by the usual dogpile nonsense that is social media. Again, nothing will actually come of it, it's all just hot air from people who want to feel like there's some sort of immediate action that can be taken and when gently told there isn't they rail against those pointing it out.

You need the patience of a saint to put up with the extremely fickle online fandom of these days, year in and year out.

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

They're being encouraged by the usual dogpile nonsense that is social media. Again, nothing will actually come of it, it's all just hot air from people who want to feel like there's some sort of immediate action that can be taken and when gently told there isn't they rail against those pointing it out.

You need the patience of a saint to put up with the extremely fickle online fandom of these days, year in and year out.

I sincerely hope you are correct.  

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

3 hours ago, Ran said:

RTFO

RTFO?

Been trying to search this one online and all I'm getting is...some kind of fuel-related organisation? And my brain keeps changing it to "RTFM", which...doesn't make much sense in this context either.

Some added details in the comments of File770: McCarty entirely out of the Mark Protection Committee, Standlee remains on the MPC and Board of Directors (more from him here). Chen Shi and Ben Yalow appear to remain members of the MPC as well, at least at this time.

As far as I know, Eastlake isn't on any social media, so the net result is that I suspect the WIP/MPC is going to become much more opaque in the near-term, beyond official press releases. This has its pluses when the usual tempest in a tea cup blows its way -- they just ignore it -- but will have downsides when the group should have someone forward-facing to WSFS answering questions and engaging with any more significant furors.

Holy cow. Wowzers.

https://file770.com/worldcon-intellectual-property-announces-censure-of-mccarty-chen-shi-and-yalow-mccarty-resigns-eastlake-is-new-chair/

Edit: And it looks like this has already been mentioned above with the WSFS press release. 

Never mind. Carry on. Nothing to see here. These definitely weren't the droids you were looking for.

Edited by IlyaP

It’s astonishing to me that Kevin Standlee doesn’t seem to understand the role of a company director, which he has been occupying for years. 

https://file770.com/worldcon-intellectual-property-announces-censure-of-mccarty-chen-shi-and-yalow-mccarty-resigns-eastlake-is-new-chair/comment-page-3/#comment-1603702

As a company director, you are not able to publicly express ‘personal opinions’ about the company separate from your role. You’re not the fry guy at McDonalds. 

Kind of nice to see a recognition of the good qualities of the Hugos in that piece -- it really is pretty radically transparent compared to many other awards... most times. This aberrant result out of Chengdu is such a bother precisely because the transparency that has been de rigeur was flouted.

Could it be true that basically they just wildly mishandled the voting? I believe I saw Ursula Vernon speculate along those lines, as well, that the results are more-or-less accurate but the numbers were basically them flailing around trying to make sense of things after some sort of massive botch with the ballots or data.

8 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Hugo Pope? 

Really

Someone actually got that as a nickname?

What is shocking about it? People get all sorts of nicknames in fandom circles.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Kind of nice to see a recognition of the good qualities of the Hugos in that piece -- it really is pretty radically transparent compared to many other awards... most times. This aberrant result out of Chengdu is such a bother precisely because the transparency that has been de rigeur was flouted.

Could it be true that basically they just wildly mishandled the voting? I believe I saw Ursula Vernon speculate along those lines, as well, that the results are more-or-less accurate but the numbers were basically them flailing around trying to make sense of things after some sort of massive botch with the ballots or data.

It's possible that some works were deliberately removed from the ballot and they also wildly mishandled the nomination statistics.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

What is shocking about it? People get all sorts of nicknames in fandom circles.

It's one I didn't expect to see. Also, some of the user comments in either the Esquire article or on File770 suggested that it was a nickname he might have given himself? Do you know if there's even an iota of truth to that?

• 2 weeks later...