Hugo Nominations & Awards: 2021 and Onward

LugaJetboyGirl

On 7/9/2023 at 8:04 AM, williamjm said:

The 2023 Finalists have been announced (after a false start where someone posted a provisional list a few days ago then withdrew it):

https://file770.com/2023-hugo-finalists-2/

I've only read Nona the Ninth out of the best novel finalists.

Is there a reason why the font used on File770 is so hard to read? I have to highlight text all the time to actually see what was written.

• 2 months later...

Three months later, and the results are in. Via File 770:

BEST NOVEL

• Nettle & Bone, by T. Kingfisher (Tor Books)

BEST NOVELLA

• Where the Drowned Girls Go, by Seanan McGuire (Tordotcom)

BEST NOVELETTE

•  “The Space-Time Painter”, by Hai Ya (Galaxy’s Edge, April 2022)

BEST SHORT STORY

• “Rabbit Test”, by Samantha Mills (Uncanny Magazine, November-December 2022)

BEST SERIES

• Children of Time Series, by Adrian Tchaikovsky (Pan Macmillan/Orbit)

BEST GRAPHIC STORY OR COMIC

• Cyberpunk 2077: Big City Dreams, by Bartosz Sztybor, Filipe Andrade, Alessio Fioriniello, Roman Titov, Krzysztof Ostrowski (Dark Horse Books)

BEST RELATED WORK

• Terry Pratchett: A Life With Footnotes, by Rob Wilkins (Doubleday)

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION, LONG FORM

• Everything Everywhere All at Once, screenplay by Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, directed by Daniel Kwan and Daniel Sheinert (IAC Films / Gozie AGBO)

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION, SHORT FORM

• The Expanse: “Babylon’s Ashes”, written by Daniel Abraham, Ty Franck, Naren Shankar, directed by Breck Eisner (Alcon Entertainment)

BEST EDITOR, SHORT FORM

• Neil Clarke

BEST EDITOR, LONG FORM

• Lindsey Hall

BEST PROFESSIONAL ARTIST

• Enzhe Zhao

BEST SEMIPROZINE

• Uncanny Magazine, publishers and editors-in-chief: Lynne M. Thomas and Michael Damian Thomas; managing/poetry editor Chimedum Ohaegbu; managing editor Monte Lin; nonfiction editor Meg Elison; podcast producers Erika Ensign and Steven Schapansky

BEST FANZINE

• Zero Gravity Newspaper, by RiverFlow and Ling Shizhen

BEST FANCAST

• Hugo, Girl!, by Haley Zapal, Amy Salley, Lori Anderson, and Kevin Anderson

BEST FAN WRITER

• Chris M. Barkley  

BEST FAN ARTIST

• Richard Man

LODESTAR AWARD FOR BEST YOUNG ADULT  BOOK

• Akata Woman (The Nsibidi Scripts), by Nnedi Okorafor (Viking Books for Young Readers)

ASTOUNDING AWARD FOR BEST NEW WRITER

• Travis Baldree  

Also presented during the ceremony.

BIG HEART AWARD

• Bobbie Armbruster

Main thing that comes to mind is that the dominance of Chinese works which appeared on the ballot didn't pan out, which is interesting, to say the least. Enzhe ZaoZero Gravity Newspaper, and Hai Ya are the only three who got the home crowd advantage. This suggests that actual voting from the Chinese fans was quite low? That, or they have very eclectic tastes and didn't coalesce behind any one of the home favorites.

Nice to see The Expanse go out on a win even though I think most fans felt things wrapped up too quickly, but Andor was robbed. Everything Everywhere All At Once was a shoe-in. Very pleasantly surprised that Cyberpunk 2077 got the nod for the graphic novel tie-in, too.

It is weird to see Novelette go to a work that wasn't even available in English translation. And Cyberpunk didn't do much for me; maybe I'd appreciate it more if I'd played the game. Otherwise, the results seemed reasonable enough to me.

20 minutes ago, felice said:

It is weird to see Novelette go to a work that wasn't even available in English translation. 

Yes, surprised fan ingenuity didn't produce an informal one ahead of the awards. The Chinese text was apparently provided in a Word document in the voter packet. 

Wow. I was going to say that I thought Hai Ya was at least published in English, because Galaxy's Edge is an English language magazine... only to discover, from these posts, that there's a Chinese magazine by the same name.

So, yeah, pretty remarkable that something without any English translation won, which I guess tells us that this was where Chinese fans dominated the voting. I'm surprised they didn't take more categories.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Nice to see The Expanse go out on a win even though I think most fans felt things wrapped up too quickly, but Andor was robbed. 

One Way Out was definitely the best thing in that category, but I'm not mad. Loved The Expanse and Babylon's Ashes was a good finale.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nomination details are out now and seem to be somewhat confusing.

File770 has a discussion thread.  Highlights include Babel coming third in the nominations for best novel but being declared ineligble (for no reason that I can see), Xiran Jay Zhao being declared ineligble for the Astounding (despite, I believe, having been declared eligible for the first of two years last year), the Sandman's two nominations (in long form and short form dramatic presentation) apparently canceling each other out and rendering both ineligible and Turing Food Court somehow coming both tenth and twelth in the nominations for best novelette.

I'm not really up to speed with the current Hugo nominations process, but this all seems pretty weird, doesn't it?

The Sandman one is surely some sort of genuine error. The episode should have gotten the nomination, having more nominations, and should have been on the ballot. 

Babel  being ineligible makes no sense, but it's a Chinese-American author ... and then Xiran Jay Zhao, Chinese-Canadian. Any chance either have made statements against the PRC in recent times? If yes, this leads to some very dark possibilities.

Someone put forward the theory that the huge drop seen in the longlists -- big gaps in nominations between the sixth-seventh work and the rest -- may suggest that "someone" decided to "disappear" a bunch of English-language works so as to pack the longlist with Chinese titles.

This was a real mess, and ended up in a lot of ways exactly how people may have feared. I don't think China will be seeing a worldcon again any time soon.

Edited by Ran

Yeah, that looks pretty dodgy. The number of nominations for the finalists are bizarrely high - in previous years, the most popular novel might get over 300 nominations, and this year seven get over 700? If the numbers are accurate, it looks like some kind of large scale slate nominating, rather than works being disappeared.

15 hours ago, felice said:

Yeah, that looks pretty dodgy. The number of nominations for the finalists are bizarrely high - in previous years, the most popular novel might get over 300 nominations, and this year seven get over 700? If the numbers are accurate, it looks like some kind of large scale slate nominating, rather than works being disappeared.

I've also seen it pointed out that in several categories the number of ballots required to cast the votes would seem to be larger than the number of ballots recorded as voting.

https://bsky.app/profile/mrmaresca.com/post/3kjhbwjmf5a2d

Anyone know if Mr. McCarty, who had this to say about the DQ’s from the 2023 Hugo list:

After reviewing the Constitution and the rules we must follow, the administration team determined those works/persons were not eligible.

Is on the Hugo Administrator’s committee for 2024?

1 hour ago, Ran said:

That is weird, it's not how I see it.

Interestingly, it looks fine in Firefox, but only in Firefox. Using Chrome or Brave (my default browser) gets the same results as in the screenshot I took.