Skin-hopping ?

Falcon2909

Is it possible for greenseers/wargs to skin-hop? (one skinchanging to another) 

What I mean is: 

Bloodraven* (lets say he's south of the wall) skinchanges into eagle ----> He makes the eagle fly to Winterfell ----> Through the eagle's eyes he spots a Bolton soldier and skinchanges into him ----> He makes the soldier walk into the great hall of Winterfell and finds Roose Bolton ----> He then skinchanges into Roose Bolton ----> He makes Roose commit suicide by jumping off the tallest tower in the castle (immediately after he jumps off Bran stops skinchanging and returns to his own body)

*Changed Bran to Bloodraven cus hes more experienced

Of the top of my head he goes from Ghost sort of to Jon in a dream connection but that’s not nearly at the level of skinchanging Bran has performed. He’s only skinchanged Summer from a distance and Hodor in relative proximity, at least when slipping in, I believe. 

39 minutes ago, Davjos said:

Of the top of my head he goes from Ghost sort of to Jon in a dream connection but that’s not nearly at the level of skinchanging Bran has performed. He’s only skinchanged Summer from a distance and Hodor in relative proximity, at least when slipping in, I believe. 

Bran is still inexperienced. Meanwhile Bloodraven is highly experienced so he should be able to skin-hop right?

The greatest skinchanger to date is Arya. Able to warg across the narrow sea should be the great accomplishment over her brothers if it werent for the ability to skinchange into a cat while simultaneously staying lucid enough to dodge the kindly mans attacks.

It is very unlikely that an intelligent healthy man like Roose can be skinchanged into

7 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

It is very unlikely that an intelligent healthy man like Roose can be skinchanged into

So it's possible that the Bolton soldier who isn't as intelligent as Roose can be skinchanged into. The skinchanged soldier can then be controlled to swing his sword at Roose and kill him.

32 minutes ago, Falcon2909 said:

So it's possible that the Bolton soldier who isn't as intelligent as Roose can be skinchanged into. The skinchanged soldier can then be controlled to swing his sword at Roose and kill him.

Uh, Ok.

Wolves are very easy to warg into. They are genetically wired to have a pack mentality and willingly submit to their master. Ravens and such (bears, shadowcats) requires work because these animals are naturally independent, but their brains are like, yay big, so if you know what your doing its not that hard.

Despite the 7 kingdoms objections, humans have free will. Theyre not wights, yet. This is unfortunately lost on the majority of Westerosi as a child named Stark rules over his brothers lords and stableboy. So with Hodor, as a resident of Winterfell like his old nan before him, he is happily willing to submit to his Stark master. Compounded with his mental disability Bran is able to skinchange a human.

Unfortunately for Sixskins when he tried to skinchange into a dying human he was met with fierce resistance and she scratched out her, their, own eyes in fortitute. 

So to answer your question, the run of the mill average fella, no. Arya and Brynden certainly cant. Bran though, yea I think so. Is Theon technically a Bolton soldier?

I doubt that skinchanging can work like that. Bran is able to skinchange into Hodor because of three reasons - 1. Hodor is near Bran, not far away from him (the distance does matter if the skinchanger and the "skin" are not bonded like Bran and Summer, Jon and Ghost, Arya and Nymeria), 2. they are bloodrelated (in my opinion Old Nan, who is Hodor's great-grandmother is actually Alysanne Stark - younger sister of Bran's great-great-grandfather, Willam Stark), and sharing common genes makes them in certain sense similar to each other, so logically it should be easier for a skinchanger to skinchange into a human with whom he/she is bloodrelated than into someone with whom he/she isn't bloodrelated, 3. Hodor is simpleminded, so he doesn't have a conscious will to fight off Bran, when Bran is trying to get into Hodor's head.

Thus, with the people who are far away from Bran, not bloodrelated to him, and not simpleminded like Hodor, it should be impossible to skinchange into them.

Also I doubt that a skinchanger can skinchange from one skin (not his/her own) into another (also not his/her own). It doesn't work like that. When the skinchanger's mind leaves the skin/vessel that he/she was using, before he/she will be able to skinchange into a different skin/vessel, he/she has to go back into his/her own body. Because it's not the skin/vessel who is making skinchanging possible, it's an ability of the skinchanger's body, ability given to him/her by his/her special blood, that carries in it skinchanging genes.

Example - Bran can't skinchange into Summer and then from Summer to hop into Hodor. Because when he is skinchanging from his own body into someone else's body, he is using for it the ability of his own body. From his body he hops into Summer. But Summer is not a skinchanger, it's just an animal. Even though it's a vessel of a skinchanger, it doesn't have a skinchanging ability. You know like Bran is a human and he speaks in human language. Though just because Bran warged into Summer, afterwards Summer won't gain an ability to speak like a human. It's the same thing with the skinchanging ability. Just because Bran can use his ability to skinchange into Summer, it doesn't turn Summer into a skinchanger. Thus if Bran after hopping into Summer, wants to go into a different skin/vessel, to do that he has to leave Summer's body and to return back into his own body. And only then by using the ability of his body to skinchange into the other bodies, he will be able to hop into Hodor or some other skin/vessel.

So no, hopping from an eagle into soldier won't work. Same as it's not possible for Bran (or Bloodraven) to hop from the soldier into Roose Bolton, because that soldier is not a skinchanger, same as the eagle.

Even magic has rules and limits, so not everything is possible. And what you suggested in OP is not possible. Not according to the rules set in that world by GRRM for the skinchanging ability.

17 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

Is it possible for greenseers/wargs to skin-hop? (one skinchanging to another) 

What I mean is: 

Bloodraven* (lets say he's south of the wall) skinchanges into eagle ----> He makes the eagle fly to Winterfell ----> Through the eagle's eyes he spots a Bolton soldier and skinchanges into him ----> He makes the soldier walk into the great hall of Winterfell and finds Roose Bolton ----> He then skinchanges into Roose Bolton ----> He makes Roose commit suicide by jumping off the tallest tower in the castle (immediately after he jumps off Bran stops skinchanging and returns to his own body)

*Changed Bran to Bloodraven cus hes more experienced

I would hate for this to be true because then nobody's actions could be attributed to them alone. Rhaegar didn't take Lyanna, BR did. The MK didn't set up the wildfire, BR did. Joffrey didn't kill Ned, BR did. Lysa wasn't trying to throw Sansa out the Moon Door, BR was. Tyrion didn't kill Tywin, BR did.

It would just cheapen the whole story, IMO.

I think to the most basic aspect of the question, can a skin changer "skin hop" as you put it, then probably yes, but there should be some expected limitations and consequences.

Varamyr would probably be able to warg into one of his wolves and then swap to another or into his cat or his bird. we saw him try to hop into a woman in his prologue as his own body died, but she rejected him. her conciseness was too strong (as a regular person) and she is torn apart mentally and physically. Varamyr then wargs into one of his wolves. the longer he stays a wolf  the quicker he stops being himself. remember one of the fears of jojen reed is that bran will one day stay a wolf instead of returning to his body. warging is literally dehumanizing, so there is that limitation.

It is also suggested that a bond must be made with the creature being warged into, and this likely requires training and exposure. wargs are literally merging part of their soul with the creature they jump into, so jumping into just anyone is pretty crazy. Varymir is literally part several other people (soul wise) as so far as to inherit hate (orell's of jon). 

And memory is also physical, so even jumping into say a dead body does not necessitate full control.

as to why Hodor can be warged into by Bran, well...

18 hours ago, Megorova said:

I doubt that skinchanging can work like that. Bran is able to skinchange into Hodor because of three reasons - 1. Hodor is near Bran, not far away from him (the distance does matter if the skinchanger and the "skin" are not bonded like Bran and Summer, Jon and Ghost, Arya and Nymeria), 2. they are bloodrelated (in my opinion Old Nan, who is Hodor's great-grandmother is actually Alysanne Stark - younger sister of Bran's great-great-grandfather, Willam Stark), and sharing common genes makes them in certain sense similar to each other, so logically it should be easier for a skinchanger to skinchange into a human with whom he/she is bloodrelated than into someone with whom he/she isn't bloodrelated, 3. Hodor is simpleminded, so he doesn't have a conscious will to fight off Bran, when Bran is trying to get into Hodor's head.

Any of these three are work, and are by no means the limit to possible explanation. 

Finally i think we should address that the pinnacle of this power does not seem to be the warging of animals, but the weirwoods themselves. from there a person seems to have near omniscience, and it able to position a warg-able beast, and use them like blood raven presumably did to Mormonts raven during jon's lord commander choosing.

so yes it probably could be used for some assassination type thing, or as a warrior type thing, or as a king type thing where you machiavellianly orchestrate a war to put your selected heir on the throne, and that probably will be how it is used in the coming books. 

Archived