Given how big TWOW will be should it be released in two volumes?

On 12/7/2023 at 5:23 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I find it interesting that George mentions TWOW and ASOIAF separately when talking about when he met with his publisher. It’s not enough to give me hope, but it could suggest that he’s working on some more supplementary material too.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2023/12/06/a-visit-to-old-blighty/

It seems to be a routine meeting with his UK publishers, whom he hadn’t seen in a while. From what I understand, he would've had an urgent meeting with his American publishers first if there was any light at the end of the Winds tunnel.

17 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

It seems to be a routine meeting with his UK publishers, whom he hadn’t seen in a while. From what I understand, he would've had an urgent meeting with his American publishers first if there was any light at the end of the Winds tunnel.

I agree; when we hear about meeting his publishers in NYC, I get more excited, than him meeting his publishers in the UK.

• 3 months later...
On 11/21/2023 at 3:54 PM, sifth said:

He's not getting Dany to the West without a time skip. That's clear as day.

Agreed

We're going to need a time skip between Winds and Dream...

...or, more specifically, a time skip between the establishment of a new status quo (Blackfyre-Martell empowered, Lannisters disgrace, Baratheon extinction, Stark resurgence) and the fall of the Wall. The fall of the Wall has to deeply disturb the brand-new status quo to be effective AND it has to happen either before Dany's arrival or right when she shows up

On 8/26/2021 at 4:21 AM, TheNecromancerofMirkwood said:

He should be doing 3 books instead of 2: The Winds of Winter, A Time for Wolves and then A Dream of Spring, each no more than 1000 pages. But, that's just my opinion....

It wouldn't fit in with the all-important number, 7. Seven kingdoms (why do they still call it that if it was merged hundreds of years ago? there were never just seven kingdoms to begin with anyway), seven gods, seven books. 

Wait, I'm sorry, I didn't notice you said that years ago. Sheesh.

Edited by FantasyCreature
Spotted a mistake, kind of

7 hours ago, FantasyCreature said:

It wouldn't fit in with the all-important number, 7. Seven kingdoms (why do they still call it that if it was merged hundreds of years ago? there were never just seven kingdoms to begin with anyway), seven gods, seven books. 

Well, he's just going to have to deal with it I guess

I think he can finish the series in two books. But they will both have to be huge

15 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Well, he's just going to have to deal with it I guess

I think he can finish the series in two books. But they will both have to be huge

I wouldn't mind huge books. Even if they're split into two volumes, it's not a big deal for me. I just want him to finish the story, best if the number of books is 7. I just like this kind of uniformity.

To this date, ADWD's is the strangest book I've ever read. You get to page 800 and still new POV characters are being introduced. There really is not book quite like it. I hope things are better structured, if Winds is ever released.