Jump to content
GameofThrones Fan 1994

Given how big TWOW will be should it be released in two volumes?

Recommended Posts

As long as the book ends up being published at all, I don't care much for how many parts it will be split into. Although I suppose the publisher would rather have people buy two books at $30 apiece than one book at $45.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we don't know how big it will be. If it's as big as ASoS and ADWD, which is what GRRM was aiming for, it will be published in one volume in hardcover, but in some countries (like the UK) will likely be split in two for paperback.

If it's a fair bit bigger than ASoS and ADWD (like, 50% bigger) then, yes, it will likely be split into two volumes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Here are two great videos on the topic, and frankly, anything is possible really. AdmiralKird is more focused on wether it can fit one and only one book, whereas In Deep Geek straight up admits that he thinks it's going to be split in two parts. 

 

Edited by The Winged Griffin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do I find it plausible that GRRM will need 3,000 pages to cover whatever he had planned for TWOW?  Sure.

But do I believe GRRM has already passed 1,500 pages or 2,000 pages?  Sorry, but no.  There is no indication of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mister Smikes said:

Well, aren't you optimistic!

I try to be optimistic knowing that the night is dark and full of terrors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2021 at 6:51 PM, TheNecromancerofMirkwood said:

He should be doing 3 books instead of 2: The Winds of Winter, A Time for Wolves and then A Dream of Spring, each no more than 1000 pages. But, that's just my opinion....

When GRRM passes into the great beyond, many decades hence, they will find maybe 600 pages of material on his computer, which another author will adapt and expand into a volume entitled "A Haggling of Harpies."  I'll be dead by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2021 at 12:28 PM, Mister Smikes said:

When GRRM passes into the great beyond, many decades hence, they will find maybe 600 pages of material on his computer, which another author will adapt and expand into a volume entitled "A Haggling of Harpies."  I'll be dead by then.

Now, now, don't go giving Brian Herbert any more "ideas".. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously he should get the pages of the books to be bigger so that he can stuff in more words. I don't mind the change if it means that we can get more material in one book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SeanBeanedMeUp said:

Seriously he should get the pages of the books to be bigger so that he can stuff in more words. I don't mind the change if it means that we can get more material in one book.

He's got to write the words first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If GRRM dies before he finishes, I'll simply wait sixty or seventy years for me to get old and die. Then, if there's an afterlife, I'll ask him how it went. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really if the issue is George trying to fit it in just one book, I don't see why this should in fact be an issue. There's nothing wrong with publishing TWOW in two reasonable parts rather than one huge book. He could just write whatever he wants until he feels satisfied, without worrying about fitting it into a single book, and when he's done, he could just chop it in the middle and call it a day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Winged Griffin said:

Really if the issue is George trying to fit it in just one book, I don't see why this should in fact be an issue. 

It's not an issue.  Nobody cares about how big the book is.  There are all kinds of solutions to the problem, including publication in 2 parts simultaneously.  

If (hypothetically) he has more than 1500 pages and has not published yet, the issue MIGHT be that he needs to write more before he reaches a satisfactory cut-off point.  

But it is really wishful thinking to suppose he has that much written.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mister Smikes said:

It's not an issue.  Nobody cares about how big the book is.  There are all kinds of solutions to the problem, including publication in 2 parts simultaneously.  

If (hypothetically) he has more than 1500 pages and has not published yet, the issue MIGHT be that he needs to write more before he reaches a satisfactory cut-off point.  

But it is really wishful thinking to suppose he has that much written.

This was the plan for THE BIG FEAST https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1352

Quote

A new piece of information that slipped through was that he and his publishers had pretty much settled on simply splitting the book in half and publishing the two halves a month or so apart when a friend of his suggested splitting the book by POV.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...