Given how big TWOW will be should it be released in two volumes?

31 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

But if they aren’t ready to make that move, then the only conclusion must be that Winds is a mess, with several arcs being incomplete. Or am I missing something?

We know most of the arcs are still incomplete: we know that George has only finished one for sure (probably Tyrion) and others were close, but others were less close.

Also, if a character has only 1 chapter in the book, and that chapter is still unwritten, even though it might be possible to crack it out in a few weeks, and that chapter is supposed to be the fifth chapter overall in the book, that's a logjam preventing the first part of the book from being published on its own.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Also, if a character has only 1 chapter in the book, and that chapter is still unwritten, even though it might be possible to crack it out in a few weeks, and that chapter is supposed to be the fifth chapter overall in the book, that's a logjam preventing the first part of the book from being published on its own.

Yeah, that's true. Like the Melisandre chapter in Dance.

On 10/24/2023 at 4:10 PM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Yeah, that's a shame. He sounded way more optimistic a year ago. :unsure:

Again its not that he doesnt want to do its such a huge task and its obvious he has lost his wind

He went down way too many side quests and is now having serious issues getting back to main plot

He took the HBO S8 backlash very personally (imo) and has more than likely made some overall huge modifications as a result

Even without the two issues above, he just has not been managing his own time well. As he himself has said many times you cant force the writing to come and worse even when he was hot he spent too much time working entirely different series (books + tv) or even travel to things like conventions

IF he ever finishes the series I would love to actually have some real analysis on writing process and changes that took place over time. Similar to what Tolkiens son has released. I think it itself would make a very interesting read.

On 11/6/2023 at 5:05 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Now we just have to wait for someone with high-tech software to decode what’s written on the page.

The very first think i tried when I saw that pic is enlarging the image and trying to read the text.

13 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

The very first think i tried when I saw that pic is enlarging the image and trying to read the text.

Someone on Reddit managed to decode the blacked-out part of GRRM’s original pitch letter when that came out, so hopefully they can figure this one out too.

On 11/1/2023 at 8:56 PM, Werthead said:

We know most of the arcs are still incomplete: we know that George has only finished one for sure (probably Tyrion) and others were close, but others were less close.

GRRM said in an interview in October last year:

All in all, Martin thinks he’s “about 3/4 of the way done.” He’s done writing the full stories for some of the point-of-view characters, “but not others… It’s still gonna take me a while.”

It’s just hard to conceptualize how he went from thinking the book was only a year away in 2019 to now doubting that it will be released before 2026. I just wish we had a bit more information. 

Do you guys think GRRM ever worries about getting canceled? Just within the fandom, there’s far more criticism of some of the darker/raunchier aspects of the books than there was ten years ago.

9 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It’s just hard to conceptualize how he went from thinking the book was only a year away in 2019 to now doubting that it will be released before 2026. I just wish we had a bit more information. 

Do you guys think GRRM ever worries about getting canceled? Just within the fandom, there’s far more criticism of some of the darker/raunchier aspects of the books than there was ten years ago.

I doubt it.  There's still a huge market for novels (perhaps greater than ever) that plumb the depths of human nature.

Interesting. He says 1,100 done and a hundred to go. Could he be describing printed pages as opposed to manuscript pages?

Last December it was 400-500 to go but he said overall the book would be 1,800 manuscript pages because it was getting very long.

First US hardback editions: ASOS - 973 pages; ADWD - 1,016, this is including the appendices.

If it's the case that he is talking printed pages instead of manuscript, then it is good news and would be in line with his earlier mention of making steady progress (late July). It would also be in line with TWOW being longer than ASOS and ADWD, coming in at around 1,200 printed pages.

If this holds true, we can compare the two states of the estimated finished pages (1,300-1,400 / 1,800 from last December vs 1,100 / 1,200 now), George made progress from 72-78% done last year to about 92% done now.

Also good to hear this is his major project at the moment taking up the majority of his time.

I do believe George is committed to finishing the series but wants to put out a very high quality book that will hold up as one of his best works over the long term.

Edited by Casso, King of the Seals