Insights from the ASOIAF App

The Bard of Banefort

• 3 months later...

Daario

Yet with his lover about to wed Hizdahr, Daario becomes increasingly jealous as her marriage day grows nearer. . . Daenerys and Daario have a final argument on the eve of her wedding. . . Daenerys names Daario as one of those sent to the camp as he has grown wilder since she stopped seeing him, his rage festering.

Yeah, he's gonna betray her.

On 10/17/2021 at 4:02 AM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

The entry about Pyat Pree states that he and his buddies wanted to kill Dany to seize control of her dragons and that their ship was captured by Euron. In the Qarth entry, it is confirmed that when Euron captured their ship, he also seized dragonbinder.

Just how were he and his buddies going to do this? She has dragons, the unsullied, her bloodriders and sellswords. Did they think they could beat her with Dragonbinder - bind the dragons to their will and burn her?

Euron says he found his horn in Valyria, but this ASOIAF app says its from Pree's ship. Should we trust this app instead of Euron's words? 

11 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

Just how were he and his buddies going to do this? She has dragons, the unsullied, her bloodriders and sellswords. Did they think they could beat her with Dragonbinder - bind the dragons to their will and burn her?

Pyat Pree and the other warlocks thought that Dany was headed to Pentos, so that's where they were following her. Dany heading to Pentos has no Unsullied, but we saw her turn for Slaver's Bay, while they went on their way to Pentos two weeks after she left Qarth. 

Even, then I don't think if Pyat Pree knows how to use the horn, then I don't see him standing there in the open in order to steal the dragons. But that's just me.

Euron says he found his horn in Valyria, but this ASOIAF app says its from Pree's ship. Should we trust this app instead of Euron's words? 

The app is GRRM's notes. So you be the judge of that. I tend to look at it as semi-canon more than canon because I'm sure some things will change with his writing. 

What we know for sure is that Euron did capture four warlocks out of Qarth who told him about Dany (The Reaver, AFfC) and

Spoiler

Damphair sees three of them in the hold of the Silence in his Forsaken sample.

I’m with Rodrik the Reader on this one: Euron never sailed to Valyria. The Valyrian steel armor he has in the Forsaken was probably something he stole from one of his many conquests in Essos. It probably dates back to before the Doom.

14 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

It's not just the app.

A smile played across Euron’s blue lips. “I am the storm, my lord. The first storm, and the last. I have taken the Silence on longer voyages than this, and ones far more hazardous. Have you forgotten? I have sailed the Smoking Sea and seen Valyria.”

Every man there knew that the Doom still ruled Valyria. The very sea there boiled and smoked, and the land was overrun with demons. It was said that any sailor who so much as glimpsed the fiery mountains of Valyria rising above the waves would soon die a dreadful death, yet the Crow’s Eye had been there, and returned.

“Have you?” the Reader asked, so softly.

Euron’s blue smile vanished. “Reader,” he said into the quiet, “you would do well to keep your nose in your books.”  (ADWD 29)

Rodrik is probably the best educated man in the Iron Islands. I always thought that this comment by him must be a clue, not just something that the Martin wrote to add a bit of drama.

I'm somewhat surprised that the app contains an important fact like that, when the rest of the story merely hints at it. Now I may have to go and read the whole dictionary, just to see what other little treasures may be buried there.

6 minutes ago, Aebram said:

Rodrik is probably the best educated man in the Iron Islands. I always thought that this comment by him must be a clue, not just something that the Martin wrote to add a bit of drama.

The fact that Euron immediately falters under his questioning is also telling.

7 minutes ago, Aebram said:

I'm somewhat surprised that the app contains an important fact like that, when the rest of the story merely hints at it. Now I may have to go and read the whole dictionary, just to see what other little treasures may be buried there.

Yeah, it's been a lot of fun going through it and finding new bits of info. The app is definitely an underrated treasure trove that I only recently discovered myself.

8 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I’m with Rodrik the Reader on this one: Euron never sailed to Valyria. The Valyrian steel armor he has in the Forsaken was probably something he stole from one of his many conquests in Essos. It probably dates back to before the Doom.

Perhaps he warged into his slaves, did some exploring and found the hellhorn. Perhaps not.

Doran

Doran is furious at Elia's mistreatment at the hands of her husband and so is slow to lend any aid to the embattled Targaryens. . . Despite Rhaegar's insult to his sister Elia by making off with Lyanna Stark, Doran understands that the fortunes of his house are tied to the Targaryens. . . 

There's always been a semi-popular theory that the Dornish were cool with Rhaegar running off with Lyanna because they're so libertine, so I'm glad that there's concrete proof here that that was not the case. 

Learning from him and Arianne of his intentions to rule all of Westeros with a Targaryen at his side, [the Sand Snakes] agree to support him.

Maybe it's nothing, but I find the wording here very strange, in how it implies that Doran plans to rule Westeros. Perhaps he does see himself as a puppet-master after all. . . 

Brandon

He was also accustomed, as eldest son and heir, to taking what he wanted, and as such took Lady Barbrey Dustin as a lover, until Lord Rickard's ambitions let him to betroth Brandon to Catelyn Tully.

There's such a stark (no pun intended) difference between Brandon and Robb, who was so much more solemn and dutiful as the heir to Winterfell.

At Catelyn's request, Brandon did not kill him. . . Brandon then departed Riverrun, promising to return soon.

This one is curious. Did Brandon leave to return to Winterfell, or did he depart for somewhere else--say, to meet Ashara?

Joanna

In later years, Tywin's troubled relationship with Tyrion leads him to tell him that he wished he could prove Tyrion was not his son, suggesting that he is uncertain of Tyrion's paternity.

I am not a fan of Tyrion Targaryen. . . but this certainly lends credence to the theory (and possibly to Jaime and Cersei's uncertain paternity, too).

Jaehaerys II

He succeeded his father following the conflagration at Summerhall that killed Aegon V and other members of the royal family, including his eldest son Duncan.

Confirmation that Duncan the Small died at Summerhall. It also doesn't reveal whether Jaehaerys was present at Summerhall himself.

Tywin

Tywin is disquieted by Joffrey's temper and wild behavior, which leads him to fear that Joffrey is another Aerys. Tywin attempts to mitigate Cersei's influence over the new king by removing her from court and marrying her off, but she will not hear of it.

In the books, Tywin brushes off Tyrion's claim that Joffrey is the next Aerys, but that was apparently a front. Interestingly, he also blames Cersei for Joff's behavior.

Roose Bolton

As the slighted Freys conspire with Lord Tywin against Robb, Roose allies himself with them.

Whether he's just an opportunist or a true Machiavellian, it would appear that Roose turned on Robb after marrying Jeyne and his odds of beating the Lannisters diminished. (Also, the picture used for Roose's profile definitely makes him look like vampire lol).

Asha

When Theon arrives from Seagard, Asha seeks him out but misleads him as to her identity, amused by his efforts to seduce her. When she reveals the truth, Theon threatens to send her to the silent sisters--proving himself yet another man who cannot see her worth.

This makes me think that Asha wouldn't have challenged Theon's claim as Balon's heir if she believed he respected her. After all, she does offer to put aside her claim and support Victarion if he agrees to make her his Hand.

Rhaegar

The prince could not be found for the first months of the war. Rumor had it that he was in the south with Lyanna, at a place he called the Tower of Joy, near the red mountains of Dorne.

So yeah, he really did abandon his wife, children, and responsibilities to play house with Lyanna during a war that he started. Real stand-up guy here.

He would die with Lyanna's name on his lips.

And thus that mystery is put to rest.

On 10/2/2021 at 5:21 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I took this line as further confirmation that Brandon was Ashara's lover, not Ned. Ned was already mentioned multiple times by name in Ashara's bio; there's no reason to use such ambiguous language either here or in ADWD if it was him.

I still think the lover is Howland Reed. We know that he shared tent with the Starks at Harrenhal, so Ashara might have visited him there, which might have given Barristan the wrong impression. 

On 2/14/2022 at 5:37 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

There's always been a semi-popular theory that the Dornish were cool with Rhaegar running off with Lyanna because they're so libertine, so I'm glad that there's concrete proof here that that was not the case. 

Martin had already disproved that theory a good while ago, we don't like to listen to things that dispove our beliefs.

On 2/14/2022 at 5:37 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

There's such a stark (no pun intended) difference between Brandon and Robb, who was so much more solemn and dutiful as the heir to Winterfell.

Tbf, Brandon would have had the common sense of not marrying Jeyne. 

Archived