NFL Offseason 2022 - The Slog of Slogs!

aceluby

18 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Baker Mayfield's middle name is Reagan? That's, er, interesting.

What's interesting about it?  Its a really common first name for girls around here and I've heard it used a handful of times as a middle name for guys.  Never met a guy with the first name.  Some of them are named after the president.  Some aren't.  But its definitely common.

11 minutes ago, Rhom said:

What's interesting about it?  Its a really common first name for girls around here and I've heard it used a handful of times as a middle name for guys.  Never met a guy with the first name.  Some of them are named after the president.  Some aren't.  But its definitely common.

You'd assume for guys born after the eighties they're probably named after the president and 20 seconds of googling reveals it was for Mayfield. Whether it's common or not it strikes me as a little unfortunate. Even if you're a republican being so enamoured of Reagan to name your kid after him is a little much.

26 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

You'd assume for guys born after the eighties they're probably named after the president and 20 seconds of googling reveals it was for Mayfield. Whether it's common or not it strikes me as a little unfortunate. Even if you're a republican being so enamoured of Reagan to name your kid after him is a little much.

I'm sure there are equal numbers of kids who have some iteration of other presidents names.  I mentioned this in another thread, go back and look at some US family trees from the 1800's.  Presidential names are scattered through those things like dandelion seeds.  My own tree has a guy literally named John Quincy Adams Owsley.  :dunno:  You couldn't have named the kid after the first and more famous John Adams?  I have a friend with a kid named Lincoln that is 6 years old.  

9 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I'm sure there are equal numbers of kids who have some iteration of other presidents names.  I mentioned this in another thread, go back and look at some US family trees from the 1800's.  Presidential names are scattered through those things like dandelion seeds.  My own tree has a guy literally named John Quincy Adams Owsley.  :dunno:  You couldn't have named the kid after the first and more famous John Adams?  I have a friend with a kid named Lincoln that is 6 years old.  

Personally I think naming your children after any political leader is a little odd but naming a child after a historical figure from the 19th century is pretty different from naming your child after a President who left office about 6 years before in the case of Mayfield. That's basically making a political statement with your child's name.

5 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Personally I think naming your children after any political leader is a little odd but naming a child after a historical figure from the 19th century is pretty different from naming your child after a President who left office about 6 years before in the case of Mayfield. That's basically making a political statement with your child's name.

Or sometimes you just like how it sounds.  We almost named our son's middle name after Don Draper from Mad Men.  :lol: 

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

My grandfather was named Harding after the president because that was the first person my great-grandfather ever got to vote for (he escaped Russia sometime around 1916-17 as a teen). 

I guess you can still be named after even worse presidents...

40 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

My grandfather was named Harding after the president because that was the first person my great-grandfather ever got to vote for (he escaped Russia sometime around 1916-17 as a teen). 

I guess you can still be named after even worse presidents...

Your middle name is Hoover isn't it? :lol:

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nah, but by a happy accident my first and middle are the same as one of the greatest boxers of all time. :P

Your name is Muhammed Ali Hoover???

Play poker with a guy who named his son after Ben Rothlisberger.... Before I could stop myself I said, you named your son after a rapist? Whoops. Luckily he either didn't hear me or he ignored it.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sure, my white, Jewish Midwestern parents named me after Muhammad Ali...

No you moron, my name is Clubber Lang Nixon, FFS.

Prediction?  Painnnnnn

I've known 3 different girls/women named Reagan, or Regan.  Frankly I kinda like the name for some reason, and I know at least the one named Regan was, clearly, not named after the president.  Even if, I don't think naming your children after political leaders is any worse of a method than, say, naming them after characters in your favorite fantasy series.  Especially if that "name" is khaleesi.  (While I don't ever plan on having kids, I will say I like Arya as a girls name.)  My parents named my brother and I after minor league hockey players they liked.

ANYWHO, the Niners restructured Kittle and Armstead's contracts to free up about $19 million in order to get under the cap before the deadline in a couple hours.  I wasn't worried about them being forced to release Garoppolo due to the deadline, but it's starting to look pretty apparent Lynch and Shanahan botched this thing.  And/or Jimmy really did time his surgery in an attempt to force the Niners to ultimately release him, as Joe Staley thinks

Either way, seems pretty clear they've at least gotten an offer for a Day 2 pick, and if the rumors are true that they've been offered a second rounder but demanded "a second round pick and more," that's..very angering.  Just take the damn pick and move on.  His value clearly doesn't seem to be increasing with time, and if this prevents them from reaching agreements with free agents that can help fill holes throughout the roster....bad ShanaLynch, BAD!

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

I've known 3 different girls/women named Reagan, or Regan.  Frankly I kinda like the name for some reason, and I know at least the one named Regan was, clearly, not named after the president.  Even if, I don't think naming your children after political leaders is any worse of a method than, say, naming them after characters in your favorite fantasy series.  Especially if that "name" is khaleesi.  (While I don't ever plan on having kids, I will say I like Arya as a girls name.)  My parents named my brother and I after minor league hockey players they liked.

Had a patient with a kid named Kimahri after the big blue guy in Final Fantasy X.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

ANYWHO, the Niners restructured Kittle and Armstead's contracts to free up about $19 million in order to get under the cap before the deadline in a couple hours.  I wasn't worried about them being forced to release Garoppolo due to the deadline, but it's starting to look pretty apparent Lynch and Shanahan botched this thing.  And/or Jimmy really did time his surgery in an attempt to force the Niners to ultimately release him, as Joe Staley thinks

Either way, seems pretty clear they've at least gotten an offer for a Day 2 pick, and if the rumors are true that they've been offered a second rounder but demanded "a second round pick and more," that's..very angering.  Just take the damn pick and move on.  His value clearly doesn't seem to be increasing with time, and if this prevents them from reaching agreements with free agents that can help fill holes throughout the roster....bad ShanaLynch, BAD!

You don't think there's any truth to the speculation they may just keep Jimmy on the roster until closer to training camp and such when teams look at their roster and realize they don't have anyone who can play QB?

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

You don't think there's any truth to the speculation they may just keep Jimmy on the roster until closer to training camp and such when teams look at their roster and realize they don't have anyone who can play QB?

I think it is possible they do that -- and I really hope they don't!  First, other than hoping another team's QB gets seriously injured I don't see how that's gonna help.  If they wait for Mariota, Winston, Dalton, etc. to sign - not to mention Watson and Mayfield to be traded - then virtually every team is going to have a QB in place by training camp.  Much more importantly, they won't be able to reinvest the savings from Garoppolo for this season, or at least will be severely limited in doing so since most everyone is gonna be signed by then.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

I think it is possible they do that -- and I really hope they don't!  First, other than hoping another team's QB gets seriously injured I don't see how that's gonna help.  If they wait for Mariota, Winston, Dalton, etc. to sign - not to mention Watson and Mayfield to be traded - then virtually every team is going to have a QB in place by training camp.  Much more importantly, they won't be able to reinvest the savings from Garoppolo for this season, or at least will be severely limited in doing so since most everyone is gonna be signed by then.

I listened to Kawakami on a call in thing on The Athletic last week (blew my mind... I just signed up a couple weeks ago because they had a $1/mo thing going on).  He addressed the speculation that the Niners aren't sold on Lance.  He acknowledged that it is possible they keep Jimmy, but didn't think it would happen.  The problem with those sorts of stories are that they feed into my very much preconceived notion that a guy who has played 14 games of college football at a lower level will never be a franchise level QB. 

10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

He addressed the speculation that the Niners aren't sold on Lance.  He acknowledged that it is possible they keep Jimmy, but didn't think it would happen.

Well, I think if they wait until training camp it's much more likely to be due to the shoulder surgery scaring teams off than the Niners being worried about Lance.  Which, to be fair, may well be what fucked things up in general rather than ShanaLynch "botching" anything.

47 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Had a patient with a kid named Kimahri after the big blue guy in Final Fantasy X.

Could be worse. A friend of mine dated someone in college who was named after some obscure blue woman from Star Trek because her dad thought she was hot.

Archived