NFL Offseason 2022 - The Slog of Slogs!

aceluby

Realistically, no player should be expected to take less money on their first big deal.  That's when it's their time to get paid and they should take the maximum amount of money on the table.  Later contracts are when you can consider taking a bit less to help your team, because you've already made your nut and can afford to shave a few million in the name of winning.

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Some absolute mutants at the combine this year. Jordan Davis running a 4.78 40 at 340 pounds is just insane. 

I never pay much attention to the combine, but it did seem like a lot of WRs put up smoking 40s.  Thought it'd be neat to reunite Lance with his NDSU receiver, but seems like he might be out of reach at this point - which is ridiculous considering his lack of production.

Was listening to some sound bites on ESPN radio as I drove back from watching Murray State win their last ever OVC championship in Evansville this weekend.  (They move to the Missouri Valley next year.)

They were talking Rodgers, Wilson, etc.

I had a thought… If you’re the Packers, would you trade Rodgers to the Broncos (as an example) for a haul of picks; then trade Jordan Love and most of that haul to the Seahawks for Russell Wilson?  He did play one year for Wisconsin…

51 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I had a thought… If you’re the Packers, would you trade Rodgers to the Broncos (as an example) for a haul of picks; then trade Jordan Love and most of that haul to the Seahawks for Russell Wilson?

Read the ESPN+ article this morning on offseason buzz.  According to them, everybody seems to think Rodgers is going to stay put -- but the report was skeptical that matters much until it comes from Rodgers.  On Wilson, seems unlikely he's gonna be moved.  It's paywalled but I'll quote these two graphs:

If Rodgers stays with Green Bay as expected, don't be surprised if the Broncos turn their attention to Wilson and Seattle. But all of that is a big if, because he hasn't requested a trade. Seattle has discussed a Wilson deal with Chicago and Cleveland in past years, so it's not like its "intention" not to trade him -- coach Pete Carroll's stance -- can't be tweaked. But Carroll is 70 years old and probably not eyeing a rebuild with a lesser quarterback. And Wilson would have infinite leverage if he produces in a big way in 2022.

One Seattle development this week: The Seahawks have been asking around on the receiver market. That's interesting because they are already loaded at wideout. Maybe they just want depth ... or maybe it's something more.

I was hearing on local talk radio that most of the 40 times were lower this year compared to past years, like maybe it's a fast track? I usually watch quite a bit of it but didn't see a minute of it this year.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Smart response. 

Yep, that 1500 bet cost him millions and millions of dollars. At least one season of his prime w no pay, FA pushed back one year. At least he bet on them to win?

7 hours ago, dbunting said:

Yep, that 1500 bet cost him millions and millions of dollars. At least one season of his prime w no pay, FA pushed back one year. At least he bet on them to win?

It's so dumb that a player who is injured is getting a one year ban for gambling when the NFL is actively courting gambling dollars all while they're trying to sweep under the rug an owner who actively tried to throw games. 

Two Americas.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I'm generally all for pointing out NFL hypocrisy, but banning NFL players (and refs) from gambling on NFL games is just basic common sense. 

It would seem that banning refs, owners and players from gambling on NFL games (which I agree with you is the correct position) would preclude the NFL from supporting gambling.

That is the hypocritical position, to be against gambling for your own, but to encourage it among the innumerate masses.

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It would seem that banning refs, owners and players from gambling on NFL games (which I agree with you is the correct position) would preclude the NFL from supporting gambling.

That is the hypocritical position, to be against gambling for your own, but to encourage it among the innumerate masses.

Are they not just banned from betting on NFL games?

They aren't against gambling per se, just against potential conflict of interest gambling. 

25 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Are they not just banned from betting on NFL games?

They aren't against gambling per se, just against potential conflict of interest gambling. 

Yes, it’s only a ban on gambling in the NFL. That said, I can make the argument that allowing them to gamble in a transparent way is better than the current system in which they can just give money to friends and family to do it for them.

The only thing about allowing players to gamble that’s problematic in my book is if they’re actively betting against their own team.

Nice.  With it looking pretty clear the Seahawks aren't dealing Wilson either, that means Jimmy Garoppolo is the best quarterback available.  (Well, I guess Watson if he counts.)

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Nice.  With it looking pretty clear the Seahawks aren't dealing Wilson either, that means Jimmy Garoppolo is the best quarterback available.  (Well, I guess Watson if he counts.)

< Corso Voice > Not so fast my friend! </ Corso Voice >

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

< Corso Voice > Not so fast my friend! </ Corso Voice >

LOL.  Welp, at least we know where he's going and now he's definitely not available to all other teams looking.  Who woulda thought Rodgers and Wilson both would be resolved within hours..hell, minutes?

Archived