Tennis thread 10: Federer's emotional goodbye

Calibandar

I watched Federer's last game last night. There were some takeaways from the game but not many really as it was a double's game.

At some points he looked understandably rusty, at others he showed tremendously quick reaction time at the net and some nice shots, though as it was a double's game it was radically different from a single and hard to judge how he would have fared. It was just great to finally see him in action after last week's news about retirement.

But the farewell afterwards, I was honestly shocked by how emotional it was. Him crying, Nadal tearing up and later even Djokovic not being able to hold it together anymore and saying Fed's goodbye was one of the most beautiful moments of his life...it was genuinely incredible. Him thanking Mirka, his parents, his Laver Cup friends, the knowledge as he said earlier this week, he would have loved to gone on and played for 1 or 2 more years but due to the state of his knee he simply doesnt feel like he can anymore, it was very sad. For me, definitely the most impressive farewell I have ever seen, in sports or outside of it. Made me cry :dunno:

Its the end of an era, and his forced retirement is likely ushering in the retirement of Nadal and Murray in the next 2 years at most I suspect. Djokovic is in a different phase and state in my opinion.

Edited by Calibandar

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Djokovic is in a different phase and state in my opinion.

I'm not sure about this. If he would be about to start regularly losing to the likes of Alcaraz, Medvedev, Sinner or even Ruud, I think he could come up with a conclusion it's a retirement time after all pretty soon.

As for Federer, it really was a touching moment. The match itself indicated he could probably stay competitive in the tour for some time, but not to the level allowing him to win trophies, let alone a grand slam. So I fully understand his decision, even if it makes me sad.

8 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

I'm not sure about this. If he would be about to start regularly losing to the likes of Alcaraz, Medvedev, Sinner or even Ruud, I think he could come up with a conclusion it's a retirement time after all pretty soon.

He might, but we are certainly not there yet. I think he's still the number one right now. I just saw him thrash Tiafoe 6-1, 6-3. And he shows no signs of decline at all.

Edited by Calibandar

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

When Osaka pulled out I assumed the worst, but she's actually pregnant, so that's good. 

Good for her.

As a random aside though I was surprised to read that she's still the highest paid female athlete in the world. 

Yes, the Australian Open is currently happening lol - seems like a low-key affair though with quite a few no-shows and retirements.

Today's news was Nadal and Raducanu out. I dont know what has happened with the latter but it appears as if she has frittered away her shining start (injuries galore for instance). I dont know who on her team is to blame, since some of this is avoidable (like blisters on the hand etc.)

Sad Nadal is out, but can't be surprised. He's so beat up at this point. God knows what they had to do to his foot before matches and that wasn't even the injury that laid him low. This has to be his final season. Honestly it would have been nice to see him retire along with Feds, especially after a surprisingly good run last year.

37 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Raducanu out. I dont know what has happened with the latter but it appears as if she has frittered away her shining start (injuries galore for instance). I dont know who on her team is to blame, since some of this is avoidable (like blisters on the hand etc.)

I stand by my previous remark that it was totally insane to see reports that she might sign $100M in endorsements after what appeared to be a pretty fluky run in one slam. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sad Nadal is out, but can't be surprised. He's so beat up at this point. God knows what they had to do to his foot before matches and that wasn't even the injury that laid him low. This has to be his final season. Honestly it would have been nice to see him retire along with Feds, especially after a surprisingly good run last year.

if he has to continue, he should do nothing between now and French Open, try and get through that and then walk into the sunset.  He is going to have horrendous problems later in life with the amount of wear and tear he has. 

16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

if he has to continue, he should do nothing between now and French Open, try and get through that and then walk into the sunset.  He is going to have horrendous problems later in life with the amount of wear and tear he has. 

Across sports among the greats of this generation he may suffer the most. His foot is essentially dead and it's not likely to get better in retirement. We celebrate the longevity of the Big Three, Serena, Tom Brady, Lebron etc., but twenty years from now it's going to be sad watching them hobble around. It won't be as bad as Ali, but still, maybe the smart ones are the Barty's who leave on top early proving they were the best at their best.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I stand by my previous remark that it was totally insane to see reports that she might sign $100M in endorsements after what appeared to be a pretty fluky run in one slam. 

I've watched her career post-US Open win with some sort of horrified fascination, it did seem at the time that she was given impossible expectations to live up to, but simultaneously, it also seems she is being led astray by those around her (the constant rotation of coaches as well as seemingly avoidable injuries). 

Conversely, I think Gauff has been pretty consistent in her career, but hasn't won a Slam yet. I hope this is her chance. Would be a nice passing of the torch from Serena to her when it comes to US women's tennis. 

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I've watched her career post-US Open win with some sort of horrified fascination, it did seem at the time that she was given impossible expectations to live up to, but simultaneously, it also seems she is being led astray by those around her (the constant rotation of coaches as well as seemingly avoidable injuries). 

She still has time to turn things around, but tennis history is littered with careers that seem like they're about to explode only to become nothing pretty quickly. I thought Osaka was going to be the next all timer and now I wouldn't be surprised if she never wins a slam again. It happens.

Conversely, I think Gauff has been pretty consistent in her career, but hasn't won a Slam yet. I hope this is her chance. Would be a nice passing of the torch from Serena to her when it comes to US women's tennis. 

Not sure anyone right now is taking the torches from the four greatest players of all time. We're incredibly lucky to have gotten to see Feds, Nadal, Joker and Serena. There may never be another like any one of them, let alone them all playing at the same time. Hope I'm wrong, but my expectations are tempered. 

It was an incredible match. He managed to play the longest match of his career at 35 and win it. In the fifth set he looked like about to collapse inbetween points, but when tha ball was in play, he fought like a lion. Tennis is such an amazing sport.

On 1/18/2023 at 1:59 PM, Tywin et al. said:

It does seem that there is now constantly something plaguing him, if its not one thing its another.

Always hard to say if something will be the final year or not, but it does seem his best days are now behind him.

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

It does seem that there is now constantly something plaguing him, if its not one thing its another.

Always hard to say if something will be the final year or not, but it does seem his best days are now behind him.

They've been behind him for more than five years. His serve is nothing like it was in his prime and he doesn't move nearly as fast. He has to will his way to victories at this point which makes his 2022 year so special. Two slams and only one lose in them is incredible for his age and injury history.

Still think Joker is going to blow past him and get to around 25 titles by the end of 2024. His game is perfect for an aging player.

It’s a very interesting last sixteen in men’s draw. I can’t remember so many unseeded and non-obvious choice players at that stage. 

Of course it all doesn’t really matter, as Djokovic is gonna blow them all away, unless the injury gets the better of him. 

In women’s draw, on the other hand, surprisingly low number of surprises so far. Number 1, 3, 4, 5, and 7 seeds are still playing!

8 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Not sure, she lost to Pegula, Caro Garcia and Sabalenka in the last few weeks. And her forehand is far from best so far. But one can always hope. 

Jinx. Gauff is out too, bummer.