MLB 2024: The Reign of Shohei

Myshkin

I was educated by another that the Dodgers havent overpaid on Ohtani at all because they stand to profit handsomely from long term Japanese broadcasting deals on top of the American TV money and stadium revenue, etc.

There gonna pull that additional revenue even as Ohtani ages past what one would normally think of a $70 milli a annum player.

Theres some additional finances at work here that the Dodgers have brillliantly calculated to take advantage of beyond what Ohtani's stats alone are worth. Its the Yao Ming lesson.

The Dodgers remind me of me in late game Civilization where I have a good hand on victory conditions and I build all of the wonders, even ones I don't need, just so others can't have them.

Which I don't begrudge them, as long as they keep providing a nice home for Mookie. I am mostly just disgusted by the Red Sox front office and their half-assed attempts to moneyball one of the most lucrative markets in MLB.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Aubrey Huff lol . This guy is really trying to take the dumbest dick in baseball title from Curt Schilling 

I was going to say out-dumb-dicking ol' ButtCurt is like beating Cal Ripken Jr's ironman streak, but I just looked up Huff's latest antics and woooooow.

Meanwhile, that Wander Franco fella is truly an evil dude. And whoof as well to the mother of this 14-15yo child for taking money to allow this.

"My girl, if my team realizes this it could cause problems for me, it is a rule in all teams not to talk to minors and, nevertheless, I took the risk and I loved it," Franco expressed in a screenshot of a conversation on the WhatsApp platform with the teenager

"I would like you to forget everything you have learned to raise yourself my way" — Excerpt from Wander Franco's conversation with a minor

"There was more to it, but you're just a girl and you don't know how to get along with me, that's why you failed. But I give you one chance, you should be just for me, don't look at anyone else. I know you've been with someone else, but "No one will know how to use you the way I want and give you."

Spoiler

Sounds good - the MLBTR projection was actually $33 million for Soto.

Yanks also signed Stroman.  Which is fine -- just wanted them to sign some starter (frankly the still need another one) and he's much less of a risk than whatever Snell is gonna get.  Weird thing is Cashman was incredibly unprofessional a few years back and talked shit about Stroman.

Yeah, Yankees and Stroman had a few awkward back and fourths. But money talks and all that. A few days ago I told a guy at work I wouldn’t mind getting him for like a 2yr/$40 million contract. Actually got him for less which is nice. I’m hoping they don’t break the bank for Snell too.

Also, welcome back. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Matt Chapman to the Giants for 3/54 with opt outs each year.  That's barely better than Jeimer Candelario's 3/45 deal he signed three months ago.

We'll see what happens with Snell and Montgomery, but hopefully this along with Bellinger's deal makes it clear to players that Boras' dumbass strategy to wait until spring training for some team to magically meet his outrageous demands is costing them tens of millions of dollars.

• 3 weeks later...