MLB 2024: The Reign of Shohei

Myshkin

45 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

That assumes there isn't a little...more...to the story. I really hope it's just what's reported, but then again...

The story has changed at least once already. It seems likely Ohtani did loan him money to pay his debts. I wonder if that’s illegal or if that infers Ohtani was involved in gambling.

https://deadspin.com/reports-shohei-ohtanis-interpreter-fired-tied-to-book-1851354260

The first report is quite different than what the story is now.

16 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

The story has changed at least once already. It seems likely Ohtani did loan him money to pay his debts. I wonder if that’s illegal or if that infers Ohtani was involved in gambling.

https://deadspin.com/reports-shohei-ohtanis-interpreter-fired-tied-to-book-1851354260

The first report is quite different than what the story is now.

From what I read it's the bookie that's under federal investigation.  Of course, now that Ohtani's attorneys are accusing the translator of theft, I imagine the latter will be under investigation too.  California is one of the few states where gambling is still illegal, and I'm no lawyer, but if it genuinely was just just paying off someone else's gambling debts - even to a shady bookie - I have a hard time believing anyone in that situation would be prosecuted.

Of course, whether or not MLB has an issue with it is another matter entirely.

Went to a sports bar to watch the Yanks-Astros opener.  Almost left after the second inning with the Yanks down 4-0, but they came back to win 5-4.  Kinda funny game too.  I expected Cortes to suck and was just there to watch the lineup - and certain guys in the lineup - and they did not disappoint.  Soto did Soto things at bat, and - perhaps most encouragingly - Volpe reached base four times.  

But the only home runs were one each from each team's #9 hitters.  There were only two other extra base hits for that matter - a Judge double for the Yanks and Pena double for the Astros.  Most amusingly, Soto saved the game on defense throwing out the potential tying run in the bottom of the ninth.  I say amusingly because all I've read the last five months is how his defense is a liability.

Also, another reason I'm excited about the season starting - the Yankees spring training complex is literally hundreds of feet from where I work.  And our parking lot is overload for both them and Raymond James (where the Bucs play) across the street.  The faculty lot is in the back, and during spring training/over the last month, oftentimes the most convenient entrance is literally gated off because of the fucking Yanks spring training games.  So..I'm very glad that's over.  Entitled-ass Yanks....

It's 1 and a half games against a Dodgers team that could absolutely win 110 games this year, but ho lee cow do the Cardinals look utterly lost. Atrocious pitching. Terrible contact. Questionable managerial decisions. Miles Mikolas talking shit for some reason. A snake of a GM *yet again* preaching "patience".

This fanbase is usually drunk on Busch Light and obnoxiously overconfident right now. This shit is just pathetic.

I'll be interested to see if other NL West teams can keep up with these guys. If they stay healthy, and Yamamoto is as advertised, boy howdy.

After last season and the additions the Cardinals made this year, I was flabbergasted the pundits were picking them to won the NL Central. I know I'm a Cubs guy, and expect them to win the Central, but the Cardinals aren't the worry in the division. The Red are.

Yanks now 3-0 against the Astros.  Soto looks awesome.  Volpe looks awesome.  For some reason, Oswaldo Cabrera is awesome.  Pretty pumped!

If more doesnt come to light it seems like Ohtani will be a victim only and not the protagonist in a gambling scandal.

What gives me caution though is the way the Black Sox scandal unfolded, there were many months between the WS fix and the eventual banning of Shoeless Joe.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Shoeless-Joe-Jackson

I will wonder if theres another shoe to drop in this story for a bit yet.

Hard to say that the Dodgers are definitively a 110 win team as they appeared against the Cardinals, who played about 34 awful innings of baseball this 4-game series. Our superstar Arenado with some of the worst at bats I've seen in his career in every game. I mean the Dodgers, damn they're insane! But you guys should have heard the crowd at a packed area bar tonight. This fanbase is pissed. Never in my life have I seen more resentment so early. Lots of schadenfreude for my many Cubs and Mets friends, but they're being polite about it while I wallow in bitter malaise. This is usually my favorite non-playoff-related week of the year in sports.

Arms shouldn’t be doing what an MLB pitcher demands, both irt velocity and breaking balls.  I don’t know what the solution is, but it will take the union to get 100% on board for any changes to be feasible.  Otherwise, the new norm will be/already is staffs in which there’s little if any distinction between starters and relievers, plus every team will anticipate at least 20 pitchers will be significantly relied upon to get through 162 games.