2023 College Football

DireWolfSpirit

Pretty good def struggle between PSU and osu with osu pulling away at the end.  Interested to see how Michigan stacks up against PSU in a few weeks.

Great one handed catch by UCF receiver in the end zone against Oklahoma but couldn't get a toe down.

Minnesota vs. Iowa was a crime against joy. What a truly awful game, but we won because a punt return was called back on an odd technicality. 

Floyd belongs to us! 

Edited by Tywin et al.

Call me a jinx because I just turned on ASU vs. Washington surprised the former was ahead and within seconds the latter returns a long pick six. 

ETA: Also, UNC, whoof. 

And LSU, respect the troops, jeez. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

I guess I don't know how teams prep for each game, but can't you just watch tapes of previous games to try to figure out a team's signs? Is it written in the NCAA's rules that people can't film a team's sideline during games? It's not like they tried to sneak into a team's practice sessions. I'm not sure what the big deal is, and surprised more teams haven't tried it during this day and age. I'm not saying I approve, just a bit confused about the hubbub.

41 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I guess I don't know how teams prep for each game, but can't you just watch tapes of previous games to try to figure out a team's signs? Is it written in the NCAA's rules that people can't film a team's sideline during games? It's not like they tried to sneak into a team's practice sessions. I'm not sure what the big deal is, and surprised more teams haven't tried it during this day and age. I'm not saying I approve, just a bit confused about the hubbub.

Honestly, I don't either.

I understood the baseball kerfluffle a few years ago when they were signaling with a buzzer or some sort.  But I don't see how this is appreciably different than just watching a ton of film.  :dunno: 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Honestly, I don't either.

I understood the baseball kerfluffle a few years ago when they were signaling with a buzzer or some sort.  But I don't see how this is appreciably different than just watching a ton of film.  :dunno: 

I think the difference would be in what you’re seeing. Game film wouldn’t concentrate entirely on the coaches/play callers, whereas I think the implication right now is that they were the ones being specifically recorded. Used in tandem with game film, you probably have a much higher chance of learning and being able to anticipate the calls being made. Maybe?

The guy, Stallions, is supposed to be an expert at seeing flaws and tendencies in the opponent, former Captain in military. So if he is getting this video and able to find one or two signals that mean run or pass, left or right, then it would slightly help. Then he passes the info to the coaches as his analysis but doesn't say he broke the rules to do it. This is best case scenario. My big issue will be if Harbaugh lied and he does know about it, to me that would be a problem.

But as Deion Sanders said, I don't care if you know, you still got to stop it. Most coaches publicly are saying it isn't a big deal.  I bet a lot of teams have been asking staffers this week if they have anyone doing this.

I think the real issue is that they had all signals for all opponents (probably not TCU) in the last three years. It's a clear violation of fair play. It's the equivalent of playing poker where Michigan gets to keep their cards secret while everyone else is playing open hand. You can't say it didn't help. Look at Harbaugh's middling record prior to 2021 before the sign stealing began.

The rule exists for two reasons equity and player safety.

1. While all Big Ten and SEC schools could afford to pay scouts, many of the have-not schools cannot. 

2. If the defense knows exactly where the ball goes they can hit the player with greater force increasing the chance of injury.

Privately most head coaches (especially big schools) would want to adopt NFL style helmet communications. This was considered cost prohibitive for most schools back in 1994 when the no scouting or recording of signs rule was implemented.  No idea if that is still true.