What’s for dinner? Part 9

Fragile Bird

So tomorrow after the movies im being dragged to a steak house where im told im expected to cook my own chop.

W.t.h. if im cooking it I deserve a discount imo.

Maybe i deserve a portion of my own gratuity?

Novelty dining, big eye roll, all i got to say is that better be a premium slice of moo-moo, porterhouse or bust baby.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

• 2 weeks later...

It's St. Patrick's Day so that's a good excuse to make Shepherd's Pie. Turned out quite tasty as per usual.

I also made Soda Bread for the first time ever. It is certainly one of the breads of all time. Comments on some of the recipes I followed mentioned adding dried fruit, sugar, or nuts to the recipe to make it a bit more... flavorful. Which I will likely do if I ever make it again. I tried the "authentic" method now I'm fine with screwing around with the recipe.

On 3/2/2024 at 3:31 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

So tomorrow after the movies im being dragged to a steak house where im told im expected to cook my own chop.

W.t.h. if im cooking it I deserve a discount imo.

Maybe i deserve a portion of my own gratuity?

Novelty dining, big eye roll, all i got to say is that better be a premium slice of moo-moo, porterhouse or bust baby.

So did this particular steak house happen to be a Black Rock?  I went to one of those a couple weeks ago.  I felt thoroughly PUT OUT that i had to cook my own dinner.   I found it to be neither  premium nor porterhouse.  I ordered the salmon and I wish I had cooked THAT myself.  It was thoroughly overdone.    

Edited by Tears of Lys
clarity

On 3/17/2024 at 10:23 PM, Durckad said:

It's St. Patrick's Day so that's a good excuse to make Shepherd's Pie. Turned out quite tasty as per usual.

I also made Soda Bread for the first time ever. It is certainly one of the breads of all time. Comments on some of the recipes I followed mentioned adding dried fruit, sugar, or nuts to the recipe to make it a bit more... flavorful. Which I will likely do if I ever make it again. I tried the "authentic" method now I'm fine with screwing around with the recipe.

Dry?  I always imagined soda bread to be dry.  

On 3/20/2024 at 12:55 AM, Tears of Lys said:

So did this particular steak house happen to be a Black Rock?  I went to one of those a couple weeks ago.  I felt thoroughly PUT OUT that i had to cook my own dinner.   I found it to be neither  premium nor porterhouse.  I ordered the salmon and I wish I had cooked THAT myself.  It was thoroughly overdone.    

Cant recall the restaurant name but Black Rock doesnt sound familiar.

The cut of meat, a KC Strip was a generous size, not a porterhouse but at least a 16 oz maybe slightly larger, tender, thick and marbled.

I was disappointed that I didnt get that perfect sear becuse I failed to get it right onto the very hottest point of the charcoal pit (the thing was at least 10 feet long maybe 3 foot across and by my estimation mustve had the equivalent of 10 large charcoal bags in the pit, there were 2 of these charcoal pits of that size btw).

Not the perfect sear, which is challenging on charcoal, but then I compounded it by not being patient enough for that thick of a cut.

The result a bit underdone, very rare, totally my own under-perormance on the grill, tender though and I did eat every bite.

Thing is if it was from the patio grill at home, I wouldve just put it back on the rack and let it get a little more well done. At the restaurant I didnt feel comfortable going back up and throwing my steak back on once I had sampled it. I kind of fealt it was like double dipping in the salsa bowl in a strange way.

Two other nitpicks, they served me coffe that very obviously was from the teapot, the waitress took that off the bill and admitted its happened before.

The other issue is I would never eat in this place in the summer time with all the heat the charcoal is putting off in the dining area, not for me and I did not notice outdoor, patio stye seating so summer time forget about it.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

20 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Dry?  I always imagined soda bread to be dry.  

Yeah, it turned out a bit dry, but not so dry that it's inedible.

Not sure I'd recommend it, but I've certainly made and had worse.

5 hours ago, HexMachina said:

Delighting in my hobbit lifestyle today, I had garlic mushrooms on crusty granary bread, toasted, with a poached egg on the side.

Twas quick, delicious, and I want it again

That sounds delicious. Can't go wrong with mushrooms and garlic, honestly.

10 hours ago, HexMachina said:

Delighting in my hobbit lifestyle today, I had garlic mushrooms on crusty granary bread, toasted, with a poached egg on the side.

Twas quick, delicious, and I want it again

I have this exact same meal for brekkie when i can be arsed at weekends. But I spread a layer of creme fraiche on the bread, also you have to have the poachy egg on top surely, so the yolk runs into everything else?

14 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have this exact same meal for brekkie when i can be arsed at weekends. But I spread a layer of creme fraiche on the bread, also you have to have the poachy egg on top surely, so the yolk runs into everything else?

i like to have it on the side so I can have some bites dipped into the yolk and some with a bit of crunch from the toast

It's been almost a joke in my family the last 15 years or so.  My father asks me, what do you want for your birthday dinner, and I say lamb.

So we get filet mignon.  My father does an excellent job preparing most foods but does tend to make the beef medium well even when you ask for rare.  I'm a medium rare guy overall but trying to play to the judge.

The last few years he'd made a bit of lamb for me and beef for the heathens.  Last year he, with all love, particularly did not nail the lamb.

Yesterday, I got to their house and there was a beautiful rack of lamb, with maybe 20% too much garlic, ready to be cooked.  Grabbed a glass of red, and Dad said, looked it up online and they said cut the fat off the top of the cut, pan sear it and bake in in the oven.  Apparently the steaks cooked faster because he asked it if it was ok to finish it on the grill.    Said sure.

Brown without black on the outside and so tender and juicy in the middle.  Absolute perfection this time.  Going to work on my nephew who is turning 8 in June to ask grandpa for the same, as he preferred the lamb too I think.  Came out way better than the steak.

While I wont be cooking it, I did pick up the ingredients for Easter dinner and im looking forward to cabbbage rolls of rice and ground beef in marinara w/cheese. Sides of sweet tator, asparagus, crunchy (I hope) brussel sprouts and rye rolls.

Choice of 2 pies

One Chocolat-y and one Key Lime.

Washed with Amberbock which im starting to like on my Sundays.

Just made (part of the way) two pies for Easter - an apple pie and a chocolate cream pie.  Everything from scratch, of course.  I'll bake them Easter morning so they're fresh.

Going to have a honey baked ham and homemade scalloped potatoes.  Veggies are up for grabs.  Not sure yet.  Maybe I'll farm that out to the attendees.  

On 3/30/2024 at 12:01 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

While I wont be cooking it, I did pick up the ingredients for Easter dinner and im looking forward to cabbbage rolls of rice and ground beef in marinara w/cheese. Sides of sweet tator, asparagus, crunchy (I hope) brussel sprouts and rye rolls.

Choice of 2 pies

[b]One Chocolat-y [/b] and one Key Lime.

Washed with Amberbock which im starting to like on my Sundays.

not made by Minnie I hope....