What’s for dinner? Part 9

Fragile Bird

Very no-nonsense dinner last night.

Has anyone ever had "butter rice?" It's something that Japanese families sometimes eat as an easy indulgence.

Three components: a bowl of rice, a slab of butter, and a dash of soy sauce. 

May not sound appetizing, but it is simple, quick, and delicious!

On 9/20/2023 at 7:41 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I usually buy the Mutti brand, no idea if it's Mafia free ! :o

Same issue with olive oil

With luck your tomatoes are only produced in China with massive use of pesticides that are illegal in the EU and only repacked in Italy as organic tomatoes.

That was the topic of the last tomate related documentary I have seen.

My last documentary was about worthless certificates on bananas. I actually had one of the brands mentioned by name at home.

No ethical consumption under capitalism as they say.

Chugged together what I had yesterday.

Onion, bulgur, tomato paste, tin of kidney beans, some parsley. Oh, used some harissa to spice it up a bit. Unfortunately I had no garlic.

Worked out perfectly adequate. Nothing exceptional, but also not bad either.

Saturday's ingredient use it before you lose it was a bit more satisfying.

Chickpea, coconut milk, tinned chopped tomatoes, onions, chili peppers, curry and masala powder. Thus some chickpea curry with rice as a side dish was born.

Dinner was okonomiyaki, which was delicious as always.

For dessert, my wife came up with the idea of yaki imo (baked Japanese sweet potato) ice cream. Fantastic flavor. The first attempt didn't get the texture right, but yesterday we started with a chilled custard and that gave perfect texture and flavor once it was run through the machine.

The muesli experiments continue. I might make a movie about that with Ryan Gosling and Mahershala Ali. The Muesli Experiments

This morning the extra ingredient was canned rhubarb. I'd hoped for something like stewed, fresh rhubarb; the bright red shiny stuff softened in a pan by someone wholesome on Saturday morning TV, and which they claim to have taken from their garden. Actually, this was grey and none of the texture had survived the canning process. It was edible with the addition of ginger, but was still not exactly enjoyable. Won't be adding rhubarb again unless my future life features an allotment and a kitchen. 

Edited by dog-days

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing a 41/2 hour smoke of a 4 lb rump roast. About half way through so I did a second basting and reloaded the smoker with some hickory, coals and lemon water for the steam pan. This is smoking pretty good looked moist, probably just kick back and watch the rest of late nite football contest as theres not a lot to do but wait the time at this point.

For sides I have the steamer loaded with sweet potatoes, Mini Bells, and from my garden cauli and handfuls of nice green beans, will fire this up in the last hour of the journey.

My friends who I regularly have Sunday dinner with decided they wanted brisket. The brisket went on the barbecue for slow smoking Saturday morning, then got transferred to a very low oven to finish off on Sunday morning. It was very tender. but so rich, I could barely finish.

I was asked to make a birthday cake, because my friends' daughter-in-law, who is 7 months pregnant, was turning 34. With 11 for dinner their ovens were busy (they have a stove with dual ovens that I really like, I think I'll buy a dual oven stove the next time. My current stove is now 16 years old, how time flies, so it doesn't owe me anything). I had bought apples to make a French apple cake, but my friends, who have apple trees on their small farm, said they'd had enough with apples for now and asked if I could make something different. I decided to make a lemon cake and found some recipes for lemon cake with lemon curd between the layers and a lemony icing. I combined a couple of recipes because I liked parts of one and parts of the other. I hadn't made my decision yet on Saturday and so when I went to the grocery store, bought everything I thought was mentioned, but totally missed the fact one called for cake flour instead of all purpose. I had to dash out on Sunday to buy cake flour and was worried I wouldn't finish on time. I also bought a pint of raspberries and used them to decorate the cake, placing raspberries about 3 cm apart around the edge to use as a cutting guide, and placed the rest around the base. That worked out perfectly.

As I was making the cake I wondered if I had made a terrible mistake. The cake was made using the "reverse creaming" method, which I had never heard of, just thought the recipe was a bit weird. Some of the ladies at dinner were surprised, since they said they never got good results with those recipes. The cakes I usually make call for creaming butter and sugar first, then combining dry ingredients, then alternating additions as you mix the batter. Reverse creaming calls for combining the dry ingredients, then adding the butter, mixing it with the flour and sugar, then adding the eggs (egg whites in this case) and then buttermilk and lemon juice and some vegetable oil. I was afraid it would be a disaster, but instead it turned into a lovely lemony sponge cake. The author said the edge would turn brown and hard and recommended cutting the edge off the layers, also a good idea in this case.

As a final touch, I knew two of the guests would be a young couple, a Canadian fellow who married a Polish girl who he met while they walked the full length of the Camino de Santiago. They got married in Poland and then honeymooned in Georgia, a place a lot of Poles go to on vacation apparently. I found out about the history of wine making in Georgia during a previous dinner. I always associated wine making with Greece and Rome and didn't realize Georgia is considered the cradle of wine production. Apparently they produce red wines so sweet the liquor board in Ontario refuses to buy them because most of us would consider them appalling, but which Chris, the young man, enjoys and really regrets he can't buy them here. I found a Georgian white at the liquor store and bought it for the dinner. The lady in the wine store said it was a fairly dry white, which made it drinkable in her opinion. It was quite good, a little sweet, amber colored, hit the spot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tried something not prepared before for last night's dinner: baked on a sheet pan in the 400° oven, kale, sliced pears and sweet Italian sausage -- a one dish meal.  With couscous, and a loaf of Italian bread dipped in some of that magnificent Spanish olive oil, and a bottle of dry white Sicilian wine.

The key is the 'dressing' with which the destemmed and chopped kale must be 'massaged': white wine (very dry), whole grain mustard, crushed black pepper and olive oil.

Partner declared it a keeper. :)

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Tried something not prepared before for last night's dinner: baked on a sheet pan in the 400° oven, kale, sliced pears and sweet Italian sausage -- a one dish meal.  With couscous, and a loaf of Italian bread dipped in some of that magnificent Spanish olive oil, and a bottle of dry white Sicilian wine.

The key is the 'dressing' with which the destemmed and chopped kale must be 'massaged': white wine (very dry), whole grain mustard, crushed black pepper and olive oil.

Partner declared it a keeper. :)

Sounds great apart from the pears. I fucking hate pears