What’s for dinner? Part 9

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, HexMachina said:

not made by Minnie I hope....

No I wont see her till May when im off for 10 days, its 500 miles one way so too far for a weekend trip.

But rest assured we  try to do all the cooking and cleaning when visiting so she can be unburdened.:dunno:

6 hours ago, HexMachina said:

I'm not sure the joke was fully caught there :PHave you ever seen or read The Help?

of course, the sign of great humour is having to explain yourself :D 

Havents seen or read the help.

Definitely wasnt even sure what Minny referenced so I googled- 

The word "minnie" is an informal term that means "mother". It's probably baby talk for the Scottish word "mither" or the northern English word "mother", or for "mommy". "Minnie" has been used in English since the 17th century, and is used in northern England and Scotland to mean "mother". 

I gather I missed something still?

Eta: Ahh im seeing a Emma Stone drama I must check out.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Havents seen or read the help.

Definitely wasnt even sure what Minny referenced so I googled- 

The word "minnie" is an informal term that means "mother". It's probably baby talk for the Scottish word "mither" or the northern English word "mother", or for "mommy". "Minnie" has been used in English since the 17th century, and is used in northern England and Scotland to mean "mother". 

I gather I missed something still?

Eta: Ahh im seeing a Emma Stone drama I must check out.

Minnie is a character (Octavia Spencer in the film) character and makes chocolate pies. I'll leave it there and you can come back to me later...

Homemade bean and cheese pupusas: by the way, learned that if you put “cooked.wiki/“ before any recipe site, it scrubs out all of the blog/scroll/ad content and puts the recipe in a viewing friendly format.

https://cooked.wiki/new?url=https%3A%2F%2Fthebigmansworld.com%2Fpupusas%2F

Slow cooked a chicken breast with lime juice, butter and olive oil and some minced onions, peppers and garlic on top for an hour. Then cooked way more onions, peppers and garlic and made them a bit more crispy. Then I took some bacon I made earlier and an avocado witch I turned into guac, plus a big handful of spicy shredded cheese. Made one good big ass burrito. 

9 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Slow cooked a chicken breast with lime juice, butter and olive oil and some minced onions, peppers and garlic on top for an hour. Then cooked way more onions, peppers and garlic and made them a bit more crispy. Then I took some bacon I made earlier and an avocado witch I turned into guac, plus a big handful of spicy shredded cheese. Made one good big ass burrito. 

the latest kitchen novelty

Edit: Actual question time, is an hour not a bit long for the chicken breast? Did it not dry out? Or did the onions, garlics, peppers, lime etc prevent that happening?

Edited by HexMachina

1 hour ago, HexMachina said:

the latest kitchen novelty

Edit: Actual question time, is an hour not a bit long for the chicken breast? Did it not dry out? Or did the onions, garlics, peppers, lime etc prevent that happening?

It's the best way to make it spelltacular.

No, it comes out very moist. I do it at 300 then let it rest for a bit on top of the oven. The combination of butter, lime juice, olive oil and the chopped produce does seem to keep it very fresh. And when I recook it in the pan, I only leave the chopped-up chicken in there for a moment. 

Last night, after some deliberation of what restaurant to go to, deciding on a Chinese place over a little, family-run Mexican restaurant, we bought some take-out and I got Beef Scallion with white rice.

Tonight we're having Swiss Steak.

16 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Good news for fish fry lovers!

Worlds oldest male-

111-year-old British man born the same year the Titanic sank is now world’s oldest man

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/06/europe/oldest-living-man-john-tinniswood-intl

Dude eats fish n chips every friday.

Him and 99% of all pensioners in the UK. Its pretty common for fish and chip shoos, and also pubs, to have some kind of special deal on Fridays for their fish and chips, particularly for pensioners. I think the fish and chips on Friday stems from some kind of Catholic tradition of not eating meat on Fridays but no just a much more widespread social thing that people follow.

Today I made a kedgeree. Haddock and cod is insanely expensive these days so I settled for smoked bass instead. Still a very good flavour, and I've got leftovers for tomorrow.

I also don't add hard boiled eggs, instead I poach an egg to get the nice runny yolk that mixes with the spiced rice

• 2 weeks later...

Went with my teammates from chess (well, most of them, one became a father two weeks ago and went home after his game, and will also be sitting out tomorow's final game due to babysitting duty) to an Asian all you can eat for ~25 € per person. Let's say I got value for money. Quality and quantity wise.

The desserts on offer were also fun. Tiramisu and Ice Cream are not exactly Asian, and yes, it was not an either or situation for me.

Same with appetizers. It was not either spring rolls or Sushi situation. I would have been fine with either, but when I can pick both, why not?