How is the weather out there?

LongRider

Last night and this morning were super clear here.  Just drank my coffee watching Venus rising ahead of the sun.  Last night Saturn was right near the moon, was pretty cool.  Pretty great night sky this week with the super harvest moon on Friday.  Eclipses coming up soon too.

Fall is certainly here, leaves are starting to change on the maples,the late summer wildflowers are are mostly done, pretty much just goldenrod and asters here now.  Nights have been all actually cooler temps in low 50s to mid 40s.  I'm out of town for the weekend and going to bring in all my tropical plants just in case.

We had a ton of rain before yesterday, creeks are swollen and there is standing water in the lower meadow behind our place.  With all the mid summer rain we had here in the North East I'm guessing it's going to be a pretty striking year for fall color.  

It's like Noah's flood out there.  Including the Thunder Cracks of Doom.  We're getting enormous amounts of rain, while the winds gust crazy strong.  The noise of it, even from inside, is loud.  Our fones went off a few minutes ago, warning of floods.  I'm thinking about that today.  We're not that far from the Hudson.

I meant to post last weekend that there has already been heavy frost in the area an hour north of Toronto. Maybe closer as well. My friends have a country house with a very large garden and she was happy they had picked most of their crop, because the frost wiped out the beans, tomatoes and greens still out there. Fall is definitely here.

Uncertainty re winter here, due to el Nino.  Judging by what we're already getting in terms of temperatures, and that some of the coldest weather of last winter showed up early in October!!!!! -- I'm guessing at least early, prolonged and quite cold.  Though last winter I missed at month of winter here with two weeks in New Orleans in Feb., and 2 1/2 weeks in Spain in March.  This year we'll be in southern Spain in March too, for nearly 3 weeks.  If things go all right, that is.

46 minutes ago, LongRider said:

alright!  

Thank you!  I think we are.  We're nearly out of emergency period. It should still rain off and on after 6:30, but lightly.

I just came back in from getting some things for dinner.  The busiest spot in relationship to the number of shoppers to how large the place, was -- tadah! -- our local wine store.  But the supermarket and Trader Joe's was not packed, as they would normally have been at this time of a Friday.  Good raincoat, rain boots and brolly.  I did just fine, even when, the downpour returned on my way back.

We're not going to be flooded in our basements here -- this time.  At the same time as climate change, due to these super huge buildings that been built here in the last 30 years -- the island is -- sinking!  This has been our new news for the City for the few weeks.  I kept wondering about that building of such buildings on land that isn't very landy, if you know what mean -- which is downtown, which is us.  And includes that disaster that was the combo  *r**p hotel-condo. . . .  Which is essentially empty; even prior to 2015 he couldn't give those damned condos away.

5 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Hope Zorral and other NYC boarders are as little affected as possible. 

Thanks!  What does affect us though, is our friend's concert in Williamsburg, debuting his latest music. This is one of the communities most affected by flooding in Brooklyn, which means subways, basements, streets and avenues.   I don't think we can get out there -- and as far as we know, the theater has a big basement. He hasn't gotten back to us as to whether it got canceled/postponed or not.  Lots and lots has gotten canceled, including a doggies in costume-theme parade scheduled for today, one of NYC's most favorite annual events.  :(  Yet the stupid mayor didn't allow schools to close today -- and now parents and kids are stuck all over the place, unable to get to their kids or the kids to get home. Most subways are suspended; buses, including school buses in many places can't get out of their lots, or are stuck in water.  Adams, the disaster given us by geriatric NY Dem party that just keeps on giving, giving, giving.  He did NOTHING  at all in terms of preparing organization for this new storm that was predicted all week.  Just as with every other weather disaster -- he just makes sure he gets the hell outta dodge, and then goes, 'What ya want from me?  I deserve life-work balance as much as everyone else."

But seriously, we got off lucky!  This time!

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

Thanks!  What does affect us though, is our friend's concert in Williamsburg, debuting his latest music. This is one of the communities most affected by flooding in Brooklyn, which means subways, basements, streets and avenues.   I don't think we can get out there -- and as far as we know, the theater has a big basement. He hasn't gotten back to us as to whether it got canceled/postponed or not.  Lots and lots has gotten canceled, including a doggies in costume-theme parade scheduled for today, one of NYC's most favorite annual events.  :(  Yet the stupid mayor didn't allow schools to close today -- and now parents and kids are stuck all over the place, unable to get to their kids or the kids to get home. Most subways are suspended; buses, including school buses in many places can't get out of their lots, or are stuck in water.  Adams, the disaster given us by geriatric NY Dem party that just keeps on giving, giving, giving.  He did NOTHING  at all in terms of preparing organization for this new storm that was predicted all week.  Just as with every other weather disaster -- he just makes sure he gets the hell outta dodge, and then goes, 'What ya want from me?  I deserve life-work balance as much as everyone else."

But seriously, we got off lucky!  This time!

V. glad you're okay, but what a crap mayor. Even a little college I worked in in the sticks a few years ago knew to send the kids home early on buses when the river was threatening to burst its banks and rain was forecast. 

27 minutes ago, dog-days said:

knew to send the kids home early on buses when the river was threatening to burst its banks and rain was forecast. 

It has been raining / storming here since last Friday already!  

I just heard a local report on what's happened here, in all the boroughs and the expressways and bridges coming into NYC.  Borough Presidents knew what was going on -- we'd gotten so much rain already before the morning commute for work and schools and deliveries.  They asked both the governor, and particularly the mayor, to call off school.  Neither would do it.  Already by 7:30 AM expressways and other main arteries everywhere were starting to flood.  But the middle of this morning the amount of damage done to homes and businesses was wide-spread.

Nobody can figure out why Adams does this.  The Brooklyn borough president speculated it's because he -- like all the fascists -- thinks image is everything, reality is nothing.  He doesn't want an image of NYC as flood prone or prone to anything going wrong.  While, of course. he does nothing at all except party, vacation and suck up to land developers, cops and the finance lords.

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

But the middle of this morning the amount of damage done to homes and businesses was wide-spread.

Just got a text from good friend up in the Bronx.  Their beautiful brownstone's cellar has 6 inches of water, their willow has been blown over, which knocked over the neighbor's fence. "Ten thousand dollar bill I wasn't expecting!"

:(

They aren't even on low ground, not low like we are, and they aren't close to one of the rivers either..

22 hours ago, Zorral said:

56° when we got up; cloudy all day, damp as hell.  Now it's raining and will rain through tomorrow They Say.  Again.  Sigh.

Ontario is getting  the longest stretch of nice weather we have had since May. Clear, warm and gentle breezes. I am volunteering again tonight at the biggest telescope in Canada so a clear night is nice for the people peering through the scope.

Edited by maarsen

Sounds like plenty of messes in and around the City.  Ugh!  Water in the subways.   :huh:     I rode the subways when visiting in the '80s, flooding there sounds awful.  Your mayor sounds like a dope, good grief, keep the kids home on a day like this.  Glad to hear there was plenty of wine available, one must have their priorities after all.   :D

Ultimately, whether or not for the nonce that we personally have had the great good fortune to come out of this OK, w/o loss of power etc. -- unlike Hurricane Sandy, from which we evacuated to -- New Orleans! -- this is a Disaster that needs federal assistance.

Climate change.

I wish to add what else is going on though, even if one's personal nabes did't get hit like so much -- all that flooding -- particularly of express ways and so -- which has been taking out so much of the country, particularly for trucking - it's been pretty obvious what this means with what is missing on the shelves of our supermarket and the local pharmacies, etc.

Disaster is the mode of the world today.

Edited by Zorral