How is the weather out there?

LongRider

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

We are all hoping that DMC and his family will be able to ride out the next few days safely down there in FL.

By now DMC has been arrested on suitably vague charges and is now in a reeducation camp.

I see Hurricane Idalia has been upgraded to a 4, but just checking stories it made landfall as a 3. That happens because hitting land can slow it down, right? In any event, the news reports this morning were calling it a “once in a lifetime event” for western Florida. Ha! Don’t hold your breath on that one, guys…

Also, now, Scott and his family -- though he's maybe far enough inland to be OK.  As per usual, that coastal turn to what has been known as Cape Fear from earliest colonial times -- is clobering coastal Georgia and Carolina.  

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I see Hurricane Idalia has been upgraded to a 4, but just checking stories it made landfall as a 3. That happens because hitting land can slow it down, right? In any event, the news reports this morning were calling it a “once in a lifetime event” for western Florida. Ha! Don’t hold your breath on that one, guys…

Sometimes the weather news people need to chill. They were covering it heavily this morning and acting like it was a nightmare despite the images not being very dramatic. I always love when someone finds the deepest place they can stand in where the water is up to their knees to do their spot and in the background people are casually walking on dry land like it's nothing. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

31 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sometimes the weather news people need to chill. They were covering it heavily this morning and acting like it was a nightmare despite the images not being very dramatic. 

When I was Colorado for Uni, the TV weather folks would see a snowflake and the next thing yanno it’s “The Blizzard of the Century!  WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!”     
Ugh! I hate tv weather. 

34 minutes ago, LongRider said:

When I was Colorado for Uni, the TV weather folks would see a snowflake and the next thing yanno it’s “The Blizzard of the Century!  WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!”     
Ugh! I hate tv weather. 

It's pretty funny watching them try to stand in terrible wind. Anything for ratings, right? 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There was another hurricane off the East coast of FL. What happens if two of them hit each other? 

BOOM!

Tornadoes!

Colliding Oil Platforms!

Oil Everywhere?

Sharks on MAL?

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Also, now, Scott and his family -- though he's maybe far enough inland to be OK.  As per usual, that coastal turn to what has been known as Cape Fear from earliest colonial times -- is clobering coastal Georgia and Carolina.  

We’re fine (thanks for thinking of us).  Simply a rainy afternoon.

:) 

Was a lovely night for golf.  Bit surprised the forecast for Monday/Tuesday is around 90F but still in the range of normal outcomes. Looks no rain for the holiday weekend here.

I fucking love weather.

It was one of those perfect days here in SE Michigan.  Temps in the upper 60's F, blue sky, slight breeze.  Tomorrow, more of the same.  Alas!  This weekend temps will be back up in the 80s.

We got a little taste of autumn and we want more!

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Have returned inside from a 50 minute Super Blue Moon viewing.  So Big.  So Bright.  Wispish clouds flowing over it occasionally. Cool.  Not so humid.  Purrfect.  We ate tiramisu.

There wasn't a cloud in the sky here, but I can't say it seemed all that different from other large full moons. 

#TeamBloodMoon

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

different from other large full moons.

It definitely was different here -- they are different.

We haven't been able to see the previous ones in this out-of-the-ordinary Super Moons due to occlusion, so we were particularly pleased to have this one, in such nice weather too, for viewing.  But even so, the previous ones, from behind the cloud cover really lit up the sky.

Don't rain on the lunar parade!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/photography/interactive/2023/super-blue-moon-photos/?itid=hp_ts-1-sallys-mix_p001_f006

I don’t understand why some people are sneering at Florida, looks pretty awful in some places. And since northern Florida got hit, apparently some rural customers may wait a month or even months for power to get restored. 

I would die if I had no power for a month. And people will die.

14 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I don’t understand why some people are sneering at Florida, looks pretty awful in some places. And since northern Florida got hit, apparently some rural customers may wait a month or even months for power to get restored. 

I would die if I had no power for a month. And people will die.

And in Florida!!