How is the weather out there?

LongRider

Asking in here in the hopes that Australians (lookin' at you, @karaddin) can tell me: when the fuck do the koel birds leave Australia? I haven't had a proper night's sleep since late August and I'm so completely over this obnoxious species and their awful, ear-piercing song. 

We've had shorts and t-shirt weather (25+ºC) on Saturday, followed by Sunday when temperature dropped so low (to around 10ºC) our citywide central heating system had to be turned on. Now we'll have a couple of cold days and then back to 25-30ºC.

Insane.

3 hours ago, baxus said:

We've had shorts and t-shirt weather (25+ºC) on Saturday, followed by Sunday when temperature dropped so low (to around 10ºC) our citywide central heating system had to be turned on. Now we'll have a couple of cold days and then back to 25-30ºC.

Insane.

I clicked on this when I saw 25-30, and was going to ask if that was normal for October, but I just saw you said Insane. 

We are down to single digits at night and mid teens during the day. The city hasn't had a hard frost yet, but an hour north of the city most places have had their frosts. The sad thing is the grey days.

The heat got turned on in our building for the first time since April-May.  It still feels too early for that, but lordessa, with the non-stop rain this weekend and temps staying in the 50's, and down at night into the 40's, I can't say I'm sad about the heat this morning!

16 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I clicked on this when I saw 25-30, and was going to ask if that was normal for October, but I just saw you said Insane. 

Traditionally, in Serbia we get a "preview" of autumn near the end of September, with another break of warm weather around middle of October and then the "real" autumn starts, with wind and the rain becoming more and more frequent. We've had hot Octobers before, it's the sudden changes in temperature that are insane. We'll have 25-30ºC then down to 6ºC (that's what we've had this morning, will get to 10-15ºC during the day) and back up to 25-30ºC within 5 days.

2 hours ago, baxus said:

Traditionally, in Serbia we get a "preview" of autumn near the end of September, with another break of warm weather around middle of October and then the "real" autumn starts, with wind and the rain becoming more and more frequent. We've had hot Octobers before, it's the sudden changes in temperature that are insane. We'll have 25-30ºC then down to 6ºC (that's what we've had this morning, will get to 10-15ºC during the day) and back up to 25-30ºC within 5 days.

Here in North America we call the return of the warmth in autumn “Indian summer”. It’s said it’s not a real Indian summer unless it happens after there’s been that first hard frost that I mentioned. The origin of the phrase apparently relates to the fact that Europeans associated it with the areas of North America where indigenous people lived. When I was a kid, we thought it related to the phrase “Indian giver”, a slur meaning someone who gave a gift and took it back, the warm weather being a gift after the cold that didn’t last. Native people considered gifts to be very important, and could demand their return if the person who got the gift did something dishonorable. To Europeans, a gift was a gift and you didn’t ask for it back, hence the slur.

• 2 weeks later...

It rained for a while here in cute little KS and I wore a turtleneck sweater from Old Navy and some green skinny jeans for some of the time, a grey mini skirt for some time, and some Champion sweatpants for the rest. It was chilly, so I was thinking, "I'm a little solemn today for real".

Classic Halloween weather, overcast, chilly, a bit of wind.

But instead of witches flying overhead on their brooms, we have fleets of helicopters.  Ongoing demonstrations, and the massive annual Halloween Parade, that brings tens and tens and tens of thousands here  I got groceries and etc. early this morning.  Already streets were cordoned off.  The party for the very littles in the neighborhood playground was filled with adorables in their costumes -- got a big delight from watching them on the way back from the library to send off and say farewell to Partner, departing for the airport and 18 days in Spain.