US Politics: them's indictin words

Kalbear

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Was the comparison accidental or deliberate, given the largely debunked claim that video games cause violence, a claim made to divert attention away from calls for gun control?

Yeah, I've been long annoyed at the calls to ban video games. It's just very sad and grotesque we are going to endure a certain amount of deaths so that some grown-assed people can G.I. Joe cosplay. And all enforced by a Supreme Court that wants these wackos no where near them.

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

Fear and anger.  A Jedi craves not these things.  ;)

It's not a terrible idea to occasionally check one's own gut reaction.  Be tit for tat for a smile.  Jesus didn't have the advantage of multiple iterations of game theory challenges, but Golden Rule was an improvement over priors.  (This is not meant religiously at all, non believer myself, but turn the cheek is an advancement over eye for an eye, if there's more than a moderately few amount of potential payback cycles.)

Lol.  Carlin had it right.  it's a big club and you ain't in it.  I referenced that one in the last year or two. 

...I'm really not sure which of the three it bothers me the most that you are invoking to try to justify your perspective - Carlin, Star Wars, or Jesus.  Do think it's funny you acting like you understand game theory when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, but we'll chalk that one up to Jesus.  Or the Skywalkers.  Your choice.  Anyway, you at least have to choose one between Carlin and Jesus.  You can't have both.  Carlin died for our sins!

33 minutes ago, DMC said:

...I'm really not sure which of the three it bothers me the most that you are invoking to try to justify your perspective - Carlin, Star Wars, or Jesus.  Do think it's funny you acting like you understand game theory when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, but we'll chalk that one up to Jesus.  Or the Skywalkers.  Your choice.  Anyway, you at least have to choose one between Carlin and Jesus.  You can't have both.  Carlin died for our sins!

Well, I don't recall Carlin having problems with Jesus directly, or even second hand.  He certainly would have issues with pointy hat people telling people how forgiveness and tolerance leads to you must obey us.  But maybe he and I are on the same level of ignorance compared to your spiffy lid.

3 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Well, I don't recall Carlin having problems with Jesus directly, or even second hand.

....Er, what the fuck are you talking about?  I mean, sure, he didn't "directly" attack Jesus, but George Carlin DIRECTLY attacked Christianity and religion in general.  It was a major part of his set for...the entirely of his career.  Like, how fucking ignorant are you?

A Texas county that was ordered to return banned books to its shelves is set to consider shutting down its library system

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/12/us/texas-llano-county-library-banned-books/index.html

“It appears that the defendants would rather shut down the Library System entirely — depriving thousands of Llano county residents of access to books, learning resources, and meeting space — than make the banned books available to residents who want to read them,” Ellen Leonida, the attorney for plaintiffs in the case, said in a statement to CNN.

14 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Was the comparison accidental or deliberate, given the largely debunked claim that video games cause violence, a claim made to divert attention away from calls for gun control?

This was NOT the original motive of most of those who researched the connection between violent media (including video games) and aggressive acts. And I believe their research has shown there is a connection between exposure to violent media and aggression (though video games are not more of a problem than simply watching violent films or television.)

Recently right-wing politicians in the USA have tried to use this research to divert attention from gun control. This is NOT something which is supported by researchers in the field, because the connection between violent media and aggression is the same everywhere around the world, so the difference in gun deaths between the USA and other places can not be explained by it. 

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

o the difference in gun deaths between the USA and other places can not be explained by it. 

But it can be explained by the vast difference there is between other places and the number of guns in the hands of USian private citz.  And that in many places the ruling elite not covertly encourages their use on those the ruling elite perceives as its enemies, or, you know, just for funzies, because the Others aren't really people anyway, and don't really exist, and besides we can do whatever we want because USA YAY FREEDUM (for me, not for thee).

4 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

A Texas county that was ordered to return banned books to its shelves is set to consider shutting down its library system

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/12/us/texas-llano-county-library-banned-books/index.html

Following the trail of ignorance blazed by MO. Be interesting to see how many other Red States pull this stunt - and whether the politicians voting for it retain office.

It's war on libraries everywhere just it is on public education.  Our satanic corrupt lazy worthless scared-to-death-of-cops and bestie of the financial and real estates industries, bought and paid for now by xtian crazies too -- and he's a Democrat he keeps telling us! -- is axing the NYPL system's budget too.  Gonna close a lot of them as cost savings.  Which means all the programs from the classes for new moms, to cooling and warming centers in crazy weather, the use of wifi and computers for those who can't have a home or place or money to have any of these, our covid tests -- o so much -- poof.

I dream dream dream of arraignments, indictments, trials, convictions, imprisonment, and, then, then! the tumbrels and guillotines. 

37 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I was curious how well that pays. :D

Come on, you know only reichs get PAID.  Progressives, etc. foolishly do it all for the good of the community.  :bang:

Meanwhile, the few remaining quality political media in this country that actually retains journalistic integrity is being attacked by idiots:

National Public Radio (NPR) is quitting Twitter.

The outlet announced on Wednesday morning it would let its accounts go dormant and no longer publish its work on the social media platform, citing a recent decision by CEO Elon Musk to label it as state-affiliated media.

“We are not putting our journalism on platforms that have demonstrated an interest in undermining our credibility and the public’s understanding of our editorial independence,” the outlet said in a statement to The Hill. “We are turning away from Twitter but not from our audiences and communities.”

Archived