US Politics: them's indictin words

Kalbear

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Perhaps. I don't know enough about the finances of it to know if having a portfolio of 10-15 senators is enough to be worthwhile to a lobbying firm when there's so many other ex-congresspeople/cabinet secretaries/etc. ready for the job as well.

Well, I think the key there are the specific Senators she does have a relationship with.  They are pretty crucial to passing any major legislation.  So, those 10-15 Senators matter considerably more than if you just picked them out of a hat.

And yeah, any centrist or third party-enthusiast group will absolutely love her.

18 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Isn't there like a block of D congresspeople who are more aligned to the likes of Machin and Sinema and just sort of pretend to be more liberal than they actually are?

Yeah.  A good check on this is simply looking up DW-NOMINATE scores here.  Manchin and Sinema have definitely been running interference on certain issues that others are just glad they don't have to position-take on.  There are of course benefits to that in terms of exposure - especially for Manchin - but also downsides - especially for Sinema.  Other Senators in that boat I'd say are Tester and Coons as larry mentioned, but also Carper, Kelly, Shaheen, Bennett and Hickenlooper in Colorado, Warner in Virginia, and maybe Kaine too.

30 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah.  A good check on this is simply looking up DW-NOMINATE scores here.  Manchin and Sinema have definitely been running interference on certain issues that others are just glad they don't have to position-take on.  There are of course benefits to that in terms of exposure - especially for Manchin - but also downsides - especially for Sinema.  Other Senators in that boat I'd say are Tester and Coons as larry mentioned, but also Carper, Kelly, Shaheen, Bennett and Hickenlooper in Colorado, Warner in Virginia, and maybe Kaine too.

Given the size of that block, and the opportunities to sabotage legislation they do not care for, then the realistic options for progressives become 'no change' or 'incremental change.'

3 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Given the size of that block, and the opportunities to sabotage legislation they do not care for, then the realistic options for progressives become 'no change' or 'incremental change.'

Sure.  Incremental change is the best we can hope for -- and is exactly what we got in Biden's first two years.  It's why he deserves a lot more credit than frankly I and many others gave him going in for being able to achieve as much as he did. 

Also, notice I forgot to add Angus King on that list up there.  After Manchin and Sinema he's probably the most centrist/moderate Democrat (and of course isn't technically a Democrat).

Just a County Commission in Oklahoma, reminiscing about the good old times of lynching Black people and discussing the hiring of a hitman to get rid of reporters:

https://eu.oklahoman.com/story/news/state/2023/04/17/mccurtain-county-sheriff-commissioners-audio-lynching-hiring-hitmen/70122140007/

On 4/17/2023 at 2:52 AM, Zorral said:

And even outside the USA YAY, a whole buncha idiots fell for the fascist manipulation, including the mom of Harry Potter They wanted hate, They sponsored hate, and a whole buncha dumsters ate it with a spoon.

I think Rowling's been at it (spreading hate against trans ppl) for longer than the US fascists; they probably took their cues from her and her very successful movement.

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

Just a County Commission in Oklahoma, reminiscing about the good old times of lynching Black people and discussing the hiring of a hitman to get rid of reporters:

https://eu.oklahoman.com/story/news/state/2023/04/17/mccurtain-county-sheriff-commissioners-audio-lynching-hiring-hitmen/70122140007/

Wtf? Imagine being the reporter hearing those bastards say “if a hair on Chris Wilmington’s head or a hair on his wife’s head were touched”, who’d be blamed. And they’d need to get a hit man from Louisiana because “around here it’s all Mafia”? Oklahoma is all Mafia? And pretty well all the other comments, although I’m sure black humor (no pun intended) it’s used by emergency workers everywhere to cope with what they see. Still. Disgusting.

3 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

The shitbag sherrif has responded.  He’s very upset… that someone recorded their racist speech:

16 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The shitbag sherrif has responded.  He’s very upset… that someone recorded their racist speech:

Chances are someone in that meeting was as disturbed by the official's attitudes and decided to out them. 

4 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

That shyte ain't changed, as we've been saying for decades.  So let's kill Trans people instead since the meanies are agin' us lynching Black people -- USA YAY!

Anyway, fake noose, not precise and altered -- and a criminal act!

Archived