GRRM Seemingly Confirms Euron Went to Valyria

Imo he got the armor, like the horn, from the warlocks. He captured them when the warlocks left from Qarth to sail for Pentos after Dany. This implies that the entity behind Shade of the evening held some crucial knowledge from the warlocks, and leading them into a trap. Euron lay in Dany's future in the visions of the HotU, as was her slave revolt with being declared Mysha. The Undying imo are a front for the entity that is part of the drink. As the drink did survive. That entity (I call her Shade) knew Dany would be in Slaver's Bay, not Pentos. Shade motivated the warlocks to pack and leave Qarth, promising them revenge in visions, but actually leading them straight to Euron, somewhere between Qarth and Valyria. He may have used the Valyrian steel armor to then go to Valyria and test it.

Can't access the tiktok link, since I don't have a tiktok account (not making one either). I found a youtube videolink to the same I think (from 2016?)

Anyhow, the Valyrian Steel armor is the magic he used to enter and return Valyria imo. It's why he survived. And he got the armor most likely from the warlocks or Asshai.

Edited by sweetsunray

11 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Imo he got the armor, like the horn, from the warlocks. He captured them when the warlocks left from Qarth to sail for Pentos after Dany. This implies that the entity behind Shade of the evening held some crucial knowledge from the warlocks, and leading them into a trap. Euron lay in Dany's future in the visions of the HotU, as was her slave revolt with being declared Mysha. The Undying imo are a front for the entity that is part of the drink. As the drink did survive. That entity (I call her Shade) knew Dany would be in Slaver's Bay, not Pentos. Shade motivated the warlocks to pack and leave Qarth, promising them revenge in visions, but actually leading them straight to Euron, somewhere between Qarth and Valyria. He may have used the Valyrian steel armor to then go to Valyria and test it.

Can't access the tiktok link, since I don't have a tiktok account (not making one either). I found a youtube videolink to the same I think (from 2016?)

Anyhow, the Valyrian Steel armor is the magic he used to enter and return Valyria imo. It's why he survived. And he got the armor most likely from the warlocks or Asshai.

Do you think Euron is aware of/working for Shade or is he just being used as a puppet?

3 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Do you think Euron is aware of/working for Shade or is he just being used as a puppet?

I'm not sure how much he knows Shade is an entity of its own. And yes, I am absolutely certain that he is a sacrificial puppet for Shade. She has four uses for him:

• help set up a new Undying fortune telling shop: the aim is Oldtown
  • help make new Undying Ones: this will be the result of what we see at the end of the Forsaken. Aeron and the other men will become a non breathing, non seeing Undying One. What is dead may never die.
  • capture and destroy Dany: attempt will be made, but will fail
  • be her new blue beating heart (that's his godhood): Euron is conned the same way he has conned everybody else

On 5/9/2023 at 6:01 AM, Lady Stonehearts Simp said:

I saw a tiktok of someone asking GRRM and he confirms it.

I don't believe GRRM wants anything confirmed. Confirmation is boring and static, controversy is energising and keeps interest high - so if you ask me, none of his remarks in interview are canon, their only purpose is to spark discussion, not end it. Even apparently simple statements. Why set up a mystery, and then just pop the bubble without the readers doing any work at all?

If GRRM does have a taste for the direct and gross red herring, I'd sooner expect it in off-the-cuff remarks than in the books he's laboured over for decades.

5 hours ago, Springwatch said:

I don't believe GRRM wants anything confirmed. Confirmation is boring and static, controversy is energising and keeps interest high - so if you ask me, none of his remarks in interview are canon, their only purpose is to spark discussion, not end it. Even apparently simple statements. Why set up a mystery, and then just pop the bubble without the readers doing any work at all?

If GRRM does have a taste for the direct and gross red herring, I'd sooner expect it in off-the-cuff remarks than in the books he's laboured over for decades.

So he is lying? That’s a dick move. Either dance around it or don’t answer it. 

I think the questioning of Euron having been to Valyria is a minor set up for the minor pay off at the end of the Forsaken which is supposed to answer the question, big up Euron and hint that he has more Valyria gotten tricks up his sleeve. So I don't think it's surprising GRRM would confirm it because it's minor in the first place and he released the Forsaken.

2 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

I think the questioning of Euron having been to Valyria is a minor set up for the minor pay off at the end of the Forsaken which is supposed to answer the question, big up Euron and hint that he has more Valyria gotten tricks up his sleeve. So I don't think it's surprising GRRM would confirm it because it's minor in the first place and he released the Forsaken.

It's the Reader's line I'm thinking of - it's a line that sings, because even though it's such a small, quiet thing, it strikes to the heart of Euron's kingship:

Every man there knew that the Doom still ruled Valyria. The very sea there boiled and smoked, and the land was overrun with demons. It was said that any sailor who as much as glimpsed the fiery mountains  of Valyria rising above the waves would soon die a dreadful death, yet the Crow's Eye had been there, and returned.

"Have you?"  the Reader asked, so softly.

Euron's blue smile vanished. "Reader," he said into the quiet, "you would do well to keep your nose in your books."

The courage, the deadliness of it. (And oh my, is the author addressing us?)

it's a flourish any author would be proud of, and it deserves better than to be thrown to the dogs like a stale sandwich. So I don't think GRRM deliberately did that. It might have slipped out of course, if he was tired, distracted, but the quote above is strong enough that we should keep our minds open, I think.

On 5/11/2023 at 5:34 PM, Lady Stonehearts Simp said:

So he is lying? That’s a dick move. Either dance around it or don’t answer it. 

Bit strong, but yes he does dick around in interview. Cheese doodles, anyone?

And he says some strange things. (irrc) He modestly laughs about how difficult it to keep track of eye colours etc. Well, it's not, it's not difficult at all, you keep notes, if you don't want to do that, any helper can do it for you, or a computer can do it. In one of his acknowledgements he thanks someone for IT support - there are no limits on what that could do for him. And to cap it all, he merrily continues turning various eyes to blue, and never once asks for later editions to be corrected. (as far as I know)

Again, he says (irrc) Sansa has become a more sympathetic character now she has taken responsibility for her part in her father's death. That never happened. Sansa has never shown the slightest guilt or anxiety about anything she told Cersei. As she remembered it, she poured her heart out and Cersei smiled and sent her away. Ned was set on his doomed path anyway, nothing could save him - the text leaves no room to doubt this.

So - GRRM pulled a dick move in interview. I think he does it amuse, and provoke more debate. Interestingly, another time a show watcher asked if he wasn't frustrated that the betrayal scene didn't appear in the show, because it would have been a great scene, and very revealing about Sansa's character. He wasn't.

Edited by Springwatch
word

On 5/10/2023 at 12:45 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Even if he did go to Valyria, I doubt he found a suit of Valyrian steel armor just laying around in Valyria somewhere. He probably plundered it from a palace he raided.

Preston Jacobs says he found the valyrian armor in the Arbor - Preston's reason being The Arbor is one of the richest regions in Westeros. But that raises the question - why didn't we hear of this armor before ? Surely noble families that own such treasures would want to show it off /flaunt it 

1 hour ago, Springwatch said:

it's a flourish any author would be proud of, and it deserves better than to be thrown to the dogs like a stale sandwich.

Yeah I'm saying I don't think he cares about confirming it outside of the text because to his mind the pay off was the end of the Forsaken chapter and he's already 'released' (read) that, so the answer is already out there in text. It's also been so long it might have slipped his mind the Forsaken chapter didn't make it into Dance.

10 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Yeah I'm saying I don't think he cares about confirming it outside of the text because to his mind the pay off was the end of the Forsaken chapter and he's already 'released' (read) that, so the answer is already out there in text. It's also been so long it might have slipped his mind the Forsaken chapter didn't make it into Dance.

Would be a better pay off if Euron didn't go. And even the Forsaken falls short of proof - there's no law of physics that the armour could only be found in Valyria. GRRM loves writing ambiguities.

1 hour ago, Springwatch said:

Would be a better pay off if Euron didn't go. And even the Forsaken falls short of proof - there's no law of physics that the armour could only be found in Valyria. GRRM loves writing ambiguities.

You have a vested interest in Euron not having gone it seems when the point is the opposite. The purpose of the Forsaken chapter which was to round out ADWD was to legitimise Euron as a world scale threat, Aeron deducting that the armour proves he's been to Valyria is supposed to be taken at face value and contributes to the chapter's purpose.

1 hour ago, chrisdaw said:

You have a vested interest in Euron not having gone it seems when the point is the opposite. The purpose of the Forsaken chapter which was to round out ADWD was to legitimise Euron as a world scale threat, Aeron deducting that the armour proves he's been to Valyria is supposed to be taken at face value and contributes to the chapter's purpose.

Do you think that means Euron is destined to be around for awhile?

Well as we all know, Euron is warging the poor Dusky Woman, who happens to be Missandei's mum. So maybe he was warging some other poor fool he sent into Valyria? 

(Who wouldn't want to read the chapter in Winds in which Missandei, Daenerys, the Dusky Woman and Victarion all meet and all learn that Euron is warging, or glamouring, Missandei's mum, whom Victarion has been keeping as a bedwarmer?) 

23 hours ago, Lady Stonehearts Simp said:

Do you think that means Euron is destined to be around for awhile?

He's the mount to dread, the corpse at the prow of the ship, the stone beast, betrayal for blood, the drowned crow with seaweed from his wings and the one most of all, tall twisted with ten arms and one eye sailing on a sea of blood. Since ACOK I think GRRM has been setting him up as the most depraved threat to Westeros, no he's not going anywhere soon.

Stannis will be the big bad of the series by way of failing the leader's burden to balance a course between the heart and the mind, whereas Euron is the one rung below big bad but in the more straightforward sense that he's just direct evil, limited only by the bounds of magic in world.

Edited by chrisdaw