'Most Dangerous Man in Dorne', what will he do next?

So far Darkstar has been, like Doran Martell and a load of other people, all talk no show. The only thing of note he has done is maim a little girl in a surprise attack and then run away. He needs to do something cool to redeem himself next book. I am already struggling to take him seriously. However if he kills Obara/Areo Hotah he will really elevate himself in my eyes.

10 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

Get killed by Areo Hotah

I hope not. Areo is really boring to me, I would much prefer Darkstar survive the encounter. Besides, Areo's purpose was to serve as a POV near Doran, now that he is no longer near Doran he has 'outlived his usefulness' and can be disposed of.

3 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I hope not. Areo is really boring to me, I would much prefer Darkstar survive the encounter. Besides, Areo's purpose was to serve as a POV near Doran, now that he is no longer near Doran he has 'outlived his usefulness' and can be disposed of.

I don't disagree. Areo is immensely tedious, so hopefully George has spent his extra time making him a more interesting character. I just think Darkstar, in addition to being a rather pathetic edgelord, is also set up as a red herring or something. I don't see him surviving any encounters with people who aren't pubescent girls.

17 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

I just think Darkstar, in addition to being a rather pathetic edgelord,

I remember reading somewhere that GRRM genuinely intended for him to be cool and was surprised by how people hated him/found him pathetic...

Edited by Craving Peaches

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

I remember reading somewhere that GRRM genuinely intended for him to be cool and was surprised by how people hated him/found him pathetic...

This

What i suspect is hes tied some huge secret into darkstar so we are stuck with him

I suspect fhe plan is  hotah and obara wil try and kill him with balon swann then kill the kingsguard thus burying the secret (but we readers will know it) and of course removing one more pair of  pro royal eyes from sunspear so they can plot more openly

Or balon will work out hes about to be betrayee and he and the deadly child maimer will form an odd double act for a bit, revealing his secret but alao grmm trying to redeem him as cool as he shows the hounrable ser swann how to think more like a sneaky scumbag...classic good cop maverick cop material

19 minutes ago, astarkchoice said:

This

What i suspect is hes tied some huge secret into darkstar so we are stuck with him

Dorkstar could be a descendant of Valarr(through a bastard most likely since Kiera had stillborns), even on the male line considering the Dornish inheritance practices. 

"He shed no tears for me, either," said Baelor Breakspear from the grave, "Though I was his prince, the hope of Westeros. The gods never meant for me to die so young."

"My father was only nine-and-thirty," said Prince Valarr. "He had it in him to be a great king, the greatest since Aegon the Dragon." He looked at Dunk with cool blue eyes. "Why would the gods take him, and leave you ?" The Young Prince had his father's light brown hair, but a streak of silver-gold ran through it.

Arianne watched him warily. He is highborn enough to make a worthy consort, she thought. Father would question my good sense, but our children would be as beautiful as dragonlords. If there was a handsomer man in Dorne, she did not know him. Ser Gerold Dayne had an aquiline nose, high cheekbones, a strong jaw. He kept his face clean-shaven, but his thick hair fell to his collar like a silver glacier, divided by a streak of midnight black. He has a cruel mouth, though, and a crueler tongue. His eyes seemed black as he sat outlined against the dying sun, sharpening his steel, but she had looked at them from a closer vantage and she knew that they were purple. Dark purple. Dark and angry.

Very few people have streaks of different colors in their hair and almost all of them have it due to their age.

Another possible example is... Serra, the Lyseni bedslave.

"A maiden? I know the way of that." Illyrio thrust his right hand up his left sleeve and drew out a silver locket. Inside was a painted likeness of a woman with big blue eyes and pale golden hair streaked by silver. "Serra. I found her in a Lysene pillow house and brought her home to warm my bed, but in the end I wed her. Me, whose first wife had been a cousin of the Prince of Pentos. The palace gates were closed to me thereafter, but I did not care. The price was small enough, for Serra."

6 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

The only thing of note he has done is maim a little girl in a surprise attack and then run away.

He killed her.  The blade was poisoned.   Rosamund is the only Myrcella that Doran has left.

He needs to do something cool to redeem himself next book.

Like murdering more children?

I am already struggling to take him seriously. However if he kills Obara/Areo Hotah he will really elevate himself in my eyes.

Darkstar and Obara will join forces on Doran's orders and massacre Balon Swan and his men.  And of course, they will kill the little squires too.  Because that's been foreshadowed.

Darkstar and Doran and the Sandstakes are no longer at odds.  Because, as Doran says, "war is already upon us".  Their differences lie in the past.  Finally, they are on the same page.

5 hours ago, Gilbert Green said:

He killed her.  The blade was poisoned. 

Certainly possible given the association Darkstar has with poison, but does this mean Doran cut off Rosamund's ear to make her look like the 'injured' Myrcella? And why would he talk to Arianne about what happened with 'Myrcella' being badly injured and treated by Maester Culotte if she was dead? What purpose does it serve to not have Arianne know the truth?

Like murdering more children?

Preferably not.

Darkstar and Obara will join forces on Doran's orders and massacre Balon Swan and his men. 

I have heard the opposite: that Darkstar will reveal to Balon Obara is planning to kill him and then they will join forces.

Darkstar and Doran and the Sandstakes are no longer at odds.  Because, as Doran says, "war is already upon us".  Their differences lie in the past.  Finally, they are on the same page.

Interesting. My interpretation was that Darkstar was something of a 'rogue agent' based on what Doran says about him. I guess only time will tell.

I kind of suspect that Darkstar may be "the most dangerous man in Dorne" not so much because he is violent and unethical or particularly talented as a warrior, but because of who he is by birth. He probably descends from Maegor son of Aerion, who was passed over in the great Council of 233. They seem to have the same black streak in silver hair. There is nothing to confirm it at the moment of course, but there are several hints that House Dayne carries some Valyrian blood, and possibly Targaryen. Maegor may not have been the only Targaryen to marry into House Dayne either, as the Daynes were likely implicated in the attempts to make peace via marriage alliances between Marcher Houses in Dorne, the Stormlands and the Reach, meaning a femal edescendant of Rhaena (Targaryen) Hightower or of Elaena (Targaryen) Penrose may have married into this family.

This means he is dangerous because of his right to continue the Targaryen dynasty should everyone else with a better claim die or fail to gain acceptance (because female). This of course means that Gerold's interests are in conflict with Doran's.

I think Darkstar may be dangerous because he knows something Doran doesn't want revealed.  For example, maybe Viserys and Daenerys secretly spent time in Dorne, say at a house with a red door.  I don't know that it's that, but I'd bet on knowledge being why he's dangerous.

If Myrcella is dead, there's no reason to maim Rosamund.  That only makes matters worse.  Anybody sent from Kings Landing is likely to know what Myrcella looks like, and even about her companion.  And Rosamund would have no reason to stay silent.  If Myrcella is dead, take your lumps.  Hiding it and harming her companion gets them in real trouble.

17 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

So far Darkstar has been, like Doran Martell and a load of other people, all talk no show. The only thing of note he has done is maim a little girl in a surprise attack and then run away. He needs to do something cool to redeem himself next book. I am already struggling to take him seriously. However if he kills Obara/Areo Hotah he will really elevate himself in my eyes.

Gerold Dayne's peculiar hair color pattern is a clue.  He is Part-Targaryen, Part-Dayne.  What he does next is up in the air but he might work his way to claim the throne for himself.  He will oppose Aegon Blackfyre, Stannis Baratheon, and Tommen Baratheon.  He doesn't look powerful now.  His family is not strong in the military department but if he can sell the Dayne sword as the original Lightbringer and get enough to support his right to the throne.  Who can say Dawn isn't Lightbringer?  Who would know the difference?  Nobody.  Until Daenerys and her three dragons make their long-awaited appearance.  Gerold Dayne will have no choice but to kneel to the might of the dragons and their great Mother. 

22 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Actually he can refuse and run into the desert again. The last time dragons were in Dorne it didn't end well for them.

By them you really mean one of them dying...the rest  of the dragons had a ball angrlily turning dorne into one big bonfire!!

I mean given the price dorne paid to kill one dragon its bizzare theyd consider it a 'win' 

5 minutes ago, astarkchoice said:

By them you really mean one of them dying...the rest  of the dragons had a ball angrlily turning dorne into one big bonfire!!

I mean given the price dorne paid to kill one dragon its bizzare theyd consider it a 'win' 

What was a win is that Targaryens failed to conquer Dorne militarily, and had to accept marriage alliance.

Also, one dragon out of three is not exactly a small deal.

1 hour ago, Aldarion said:

What was a win is that Targaryens failed to conquer Dorne militarily, and had to accept marriage alliance.

Also, one dragon out of three is not exactly a small deal.

They chose not to burn sunspear though and given the payback even the loss of one dragon out of 3 ..i mean every single village and keep was set on fire !   In reality (esp in a land with dry wood and limited water access) that would probably be a genocide event that dornish should only now be recovering from!

Edited by astarkchoice

I can't help thinking of him as Dorkstar, which means Martin has definitely failed to make him look like a badass. That being said, I don't think Gerold has been thrown off his stride as much as people think. As cruel as it was, his plan to assassinate Myrcella was simple, direct, and almost certain to kick off the war he wants. Maiming her is almost as good. Look at how much effort Doran is having to make to delay the war from immediately breaking out. Gerold was already defying Doran by taking part in Arianne's plan and killing Myrcella was only going to make that worse. I suspect that Gerold was already anticipating a strong reaction from Doran.