Football: The summer of selling (out)

polishgenius

In a blow to Ajax, Tadic held a meeting with Ajax's board as he was unhappy about all the sales and lack of quality in the squad. He wanted his contract rescinded because of that. Ajax have confirmed that a mutual agreement has been reached to terminate his contract.

When we signed Ramsdale, a lot of the negativity and piss taking was forgivable, at the time. But those people look a bit silly now. BTW - how do you like yer crow cooked? 

But I just don't get how people who watch a lot of football think that we've wasted a stack of cash on Rice. There is a concensus amongst football writers and pundits that he is pure class. But I guess these people have no idea what they are talking about. 

Anyway, I'm absolute delighted. Been coveting him for years, and can't wait to see him in the shirt. 

Edited by Spockydog

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

When we signed Ramsdale, a lot of the negativity and piss taking was forgivable, at the time. But those people look a bit silly now. BTW - how do you like yer crow cooked? 

But I just don't get how people who watch a lot of football think that we've wasted a stack of cash on Rice. There is a concensus amongst football writers and pundits that he is pure class. But I guess these people have no idea what they are talking about. 

Anyway, I'm absolute delighted. Been coveting him for years, and can't wait to see him in the shirt. 

Because the best version he can ever be of himself is not worth the price you paid. He's a water carrier, you spend a 100 million for stardust. 

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Because the best version he can ever be of himself is not worth the price you paid. He's a water carrier, you spend a 100 million for stardust. 

Mate, we've got more stardust in our first eleven than any team in the league. 

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Mate, we've got more stardust in our first eleven than any team in the league. 

I'm not sure why that justified overpaying for Rice though. I think he's a very good fit for you. But he's worth 60m max  

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm not sure why that justified overpaying for Rice though. I think he's a very good fit for you. But he's worth 60m max  

Let's see in a couple of seasons, eh? I mean, wasn't Jack Grealish the biggest waste of money since Dido Harding's Test&Trace, until he helped City win the treble. 

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Let's see in a couple of seasons, eh? I mean, wasn't Jack Grealish the biggest waste of money since Dido Harding's Test&Trace, until he helped City win the treble. 

Obviously if he pushes you over the hump and you win the league or CL he's worth it. 

English players tend to be overpriced. If you are going to sign an English player, particularly one who is a lynchpin at his club, then you better be prepared to pay a premium. In general, an English club signing any important player from another English club will have to pay a premium unless that player has low(ish) release clause. Reportedly Brighton are also going to be demanding a similar fee to Rice's for Caicedo.

Nice profile piece on Arseblog:

Certain roles require craft and creativity, but there is nothing subtle about Rice and his elite defensive qualities. Mostly deployed as the deepest midfielder (number six), he is tasked with patrolling central spaces and screening any danger that threatens the lowest line in the league – Wyscout data. What impresses most about the 24-year-old is his defensive variety; he is aggressive in duels but with clean timing and technique which points to consistency, as opposed to more chaotic styles which can feel erratic. Rice won possession more times (334) than any other Premier League player last season and since the start of 2019/20 is second only to Wilfried Ndidi (311) for successful tackles made (287), totting up just 26 yellow cards in 204 top flight appearances; making him more smooth criminal than bull in a china shop.

But there are more ways to skin a cat and what truly elevates Rice is his reading of the game. Despite his stocky, 6ft 1in (185cm) frame there is dexterity and sharpness to his movement which, when combined with high-level quickness of thought creates an interception machine. Again, the midfielder made more interceptions (63) than any other Premier League player last season and often surprises the opposition by walking or jogging into position, before springing into life and pouncing on passes. That sixth sense for anticipating where the ball will drop can not only help Arsenal – who play a very high line – defend in transition, but also sustain pressure and keep teams penned in as they search for an escape route.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

You know I'm just yanking your chain, right. 

7 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Is Balogun good? I read many Inter fans online that would be happy with him but I haven't seen him play.

He's a promising player with room to improve. He got 21 league goals for Reims last season. I think Arsenal would have preferred to keep hold of him but he wants regular game time and it was reported previously that he's not open to extending with Arsenal since they can't offer him the game time he's looking for right now. Not sure what fee Arsenal would be looking for - I've seen reports ranging from £40m to £50m.

Re: Rice, of course we've overpaid but the last time we finished second all we did was buy Cech and then we did nothing else. We've needed a player in that position, so I'm glad we've got someone who by everyone else's measure is quite good.

Also, especially when you're competing against City & Bayern, you probably are going to overpay when those clubs are bigger than us ( in different ways)

Edited by Raja

Tuchel also heavily hinted in a PC that Mane should look for a new club, as does not feature in their first team plans next year. Goretzka can also leave, if a club comes kocking.

Meanwhile Liverpool's MF overhaul is starting to look very interesting/ambitious. Looks like Fabinho is on his way to Saudi Arabia, too.

I would have thought, he'd be the player from their MF they'd try to hang onto.