Poll: Status of Aegon, son of Elia

Gilbert Green

Blather all you want, but before you do, please to pick one of the 3 options.

A.  "Aegon Dead & YG Fake" (Aegon, son of Elia, is dead; and Young Griff is NOT Aegon, son of Eia).

B.  "Aegon Alive & YG Real"  (Aegon, son of Elia is alive, and Young Griff IS Aegon son of Eli)a.

C.  "Aegon Alive & YG Fake" (Aegon, son of Elia is alive, and Young Griff is NOT Aegon, son of Elia).

(In theory, a 4th option would be D.  Aegon is dead; but nonetheless Young Griff is this same Aegon.  I can't wrap my mind around such a possibility, but I don't forbid such answer, if anyone wants to be super-original).

Bonus questions, only for those inclined, are (1) if Young Griff is NOT Aegon, who else is he? and (2) if Young Griff is fake, and Aegon alive, who else is the real Aegon?

I will tally results as we go.

I am aware that Polls vaguely of this type have been done before but that was then, this is now; and now you have 3 options instead of 2; plus bonus questions.

--------------------------------------------------x

TALLY SO FAR

11 for A: Aegon=Dead & YG is not Aegon (Nevets, Damsel in Distress, Green Stag, Prince of the North, astarkchoice, Craving Peaches, Castellan, AemonsEyes, BalerionTheCat, Lord of Raventee Hall, Jon Snowfyre)

6 for B: Aegon=Alive & YG=Aegon (Alester Florent, Aebram, Sandy Clegg, Springwatch, Ser Arthurs Dawn, oldbus)

3 for D: Aegon=Dead but YG is still Aegon (John Suburbs, kissdbyfire, Saffron Lady).

0 for C: Aegon=Alive & YG is not Aegon

BONUS QUESTIONS

Who is YG if not Aegon?:  Just some kid, not Blackfyre (Alester Florent); some blond from Lys (Damsel in Distress); Illyrio's Blackfyre son (astarkchoice); Illyrio & Serra's son (Castellan); Illyrio & Serra's Blackfyre son (BalerionTheCat, Lord of Raventree Hall); jointly descended from Maegor & Blackfyres (Jon Snowfyre).

IF Aegon is alive but not YG, who is he?  [no takers]

Thank you for all votes so far.

Edited by Gilbert Green

25 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

It doesn't matter who or what he is. If he wins the crown and manages to keep it, he is Aegon VI, lawful son of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen and Princess Elia of Dorne. If he doesn't, he was just another pretender.

Very realpolitik view of claims. Probably the way things would have gone if this wasn't a world with magics and dragons.

I choose to believe B, but I am aware A is a distinct possibility and would not be surprised if that's what it turns out to be.

I have no strong opinions on who he is if not the real Aegon. Most likely explanation is that he's just some kid Varys found. I'm not personally a fan of the Blackfyre theories, but again recognise they are a possibility.

Edited by Alester Florent

3 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

It doesn't matter who or what he is. If he wins the crown and manages to keep it, he is Aegon VI, lawful son of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen and Princess Elia of Dorne. If he doesn't, he was just another pretender.

The poll does not ask whether might makes right, or whether deception is as good as truth, or who will hold the Iron Throne at the end.

Can I list you under "D", then?

Edited by Gilbert Green

2 hours ago, SaffronLady said:

Very realpolitik view of claims. Probably the way things would have gone if this wasn't a world with magics and dragons.

Just to be clear, the poll does not ask how things will go with the iron throne

Also, do you have a vote?

Edited by Gilbert Green

A.  "Aegon Dead & YG Fake" (Aegon, son of Elia, is dead; and Young Griff is NOT Aegon, son of Elia).

It is very suspicious that Aegon managed to survive and that Varys is behind it.  Even more suspicious, why would Illyrio care so much ?  If Aegon was replaced and Varys was behind the whole thing, why wouldn't Elia insist that he be sent to family in Dorne, or get sent to Dragonstone, anywhere with known loyalist?   Sending him to Essos seems dangerous, if anyone finds out his identity he could easily be taken and ransomed.

Additionally, the whole introduction to Young Griff is suspicious.  It seems Tyrion was given just enough information to piece it together:  Griff is obviously from Westeros, is almost certainly high born, uses the name "Griff", YG seems to be receiving a high born education on the ship, etc.  I think the plan was to use Tyrion to help provide legitimacy:  "They tried to hide their identities, but I figured it out..."

A is what I have thought it probably true since first reading, and think this partly because of the hints about Aegon possibly being Illyrio's son & and the idea Varys & Illyrio have Blackfyre blood and have bred a substitute king. I think I have no real opinion now, my mind is busted from the long wait for the next book.

1 hour ago, Castellan said:

A is what I have thought it probably true since first reading, and think this partly because of the hints about Aegon possibly being Illyrio's son & and the idea Varys & Illyrio have Blackfyre blood and have bred a substitute king. I think I have no real opinion now, my mind is busted from the long wait for the next book.

I will err on the side of inertia, and put you down as a vote for "A".  Unless you object of course.

6 hours ago, Gilbert Green said:

Just to be clear, the poll does not ask how things will go with the iron throne

Also, do you have a vote?

My vote is D: Aegon son of Rhaegar is dead, but is ressurrected via very powerful fire magic to become a "fire wight" that sustains his own glamour of appearing to grow up. He is physically still an infant, as seen in how he plays chess with Tyrion, a dwarf.

Option D is impossible, because Young Griff is alive ... unless you think he's the most energetic wight we've ever seen, able to walk, talk, eat, and otherwise behave exactly like a living person.

My vote is for B. I wrote a post about this some months ago, where I discussed the implications of "fAegon" in some detail.  Basically, if YG is not really Aegon, the secret has been kept from Varys and Connington, two of the most important people in the scheme; and the whole thing gets bizarrely complex, a conspiracy-within-a-conspiracy.

Edited by Aebram
left out Connington's name

1 hour ago, Aebram said:

Basically, if YG is not really Aegon, the secret has been kept from Varys and two of the most important people in the scheme; and the whole thing gets bizarrely complex, a conspiracy-within-a-conspiracy.

Well, things MIGHT be bizzarrely complex.  This is GRRM writing this stuff, after all.

I don't want to argue too much, since that might better be done in response to your thoughtful thread.  But the thing is, I see good points raised on both sides of Aegon being alive versus Young Griff being fake.  Why cannot they both be true?  In short, will no brave soul consider option C?    Zero votes so far.  In dead last place after "D".

Edited by Gilbert Green