Football: So it begins

Raja

Nah, I think smart money is on PSG. They'll lose Mbappe, they want to get rid of Neymar apparently (good luck with his wages and injury record). So they very likely wnat a new shiny toy.

Anyway, waiting for the Hoeneß bust up.

Perspective. Not only is Shearer only the fifth highest top flight scorer in English football, but he has the worst GPG ratio in the top 10. If the beating of Shearer's 'record' is what is driving Kane now, he's a bigger melt than I thought was possible. 

Edited by Spockydog

32 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Perspective. Not only is Shearer only the fifth highest top flight scorer, but he has the worst GPG ratio in the top 10.

Doesn't really disprove Carragher's point, though, which is that people talk about Shearer's record all the time and he's treated as the one to aim at. Fair or not, he's gone down in history for it. Fair or not, Kane will go down in history if he breaks it. 

Personally I hope he signs for us and bags both it and Henry's single-season assist record. 

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Doesn't really disprove Carragher's point, though, which is that people talk about Shearer's record all the time and he's treated as the one to aim at. Fair or not, he's gone down in history for it. Fair or not, Kane will go down in history if he breaks it. 

Personally I hope he signs for us and bags both it and Henry's single-season assist record. 

So what? He will only hold that record until Haaland betters it (unless he buggers off to sunny Spain).

58 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Perspective. Not only is Shearer only the fifth highest top flight scorer in English football, but he has the worst GPG ratio in the top 10. If the beating of Shearer's 'record' is what is driving Kane now, he's a bigger melt than I thought was possible. 

Never mind Harry Kane, just take a minute to savor Dixie Dean's hallucinatory GPG ratio.  The guy was a machine.

We're at the eve of the season, and this saga is still going on lol. I feel like Brighton have probably delayed to get a bidding war going, and they've got one

glad we're not involved.

Edited by Raja

Technically he looks sound enough to me.

The #6 is usually not the position for your most technically gifted midfielder, but rather for the player with the better footballing brains, who can read plays make the interceptions and can reliably pass the ball. Preferably forward.

And he ticks a lot of the boxes for what you want for that position.

The only thing he doesn't have is EPL experience.

I'm only passingly familiar with Alvarez, but any bid for him must also come with the big-ass Eredivisie caveat, and in his case specifically that, given the careers of VDB, Ziyech and Antony so far since they left, ETH clearly built a team that was greater than the sum of its parts and at the least you can expect some settling in time. 

Also I'm not sure who the actual names to note are right now but I feel like if you're shopping in a non-big-4 league into the Prem, Ligue 1 is a more reliable source of midfielders than the Eredivisie. There must be someone there worth looking at.

You don't have to be the *most* technically gifted player in the team to play the 6, but imo it's an old way of thinking that your 6 can get by without having very good technique when you want to play for a top team ( chelsea v west ham)

Partey's biggest strength is his technique, and why he was probably the best 6 for the first 6-8 months before his injuries last season. Rodri, Fabinho and Casemiro are all very technically sound ( before Fab fell off)

36 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

. There must be someone there worth looking at.

This I agree with. There is a lot of talent out there and it is a bit disappointing that lots of PL teams resort to getting players from the same league ( i know they are risk averse, but still)

Edited by Raja