Football: So it begins

Raja

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The bidding war for these DMs, and potentially others, is a real-time example of the inflation I mentioned from the influx of Saudi money.  Every club knows Liverpool is desperate for a DM and willing to spend up to 110m.  Expect to get rinsed.  Clubs focused on developing & selling players will receive a boost, e.g. the handful of Portuguese clubs.

Boehly was spending like a drunk sailor in a brothel before the influx of Saudi money.

Again, while I think that selling Henderson was the very obvious and right call, I am still less convinced that selling Fabinho was the best of ideas. I think it would have made sense, to keep at least one MF in place, and good DMs are not that easy to come by.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

That temporary DoF Liverpool got in started well with two quick midfield signings but really fucked it after that.

Mac Allister was Ward before he left so he's basically paid Szoboszlai's release clause. To be fair I doubt the guy on a 3 month contract is making the decision to bid £111 million for Caicedo but I suspect he's not going to be brought on permanently.

16 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Enzo-Caicedo-Lavia. That's a mint midfield. Only cost around £280m.

They're probably going to play 4-2-3-1 so it's Fernandez-Caidcedo with Lavia on the bench in all likelihood. Definitely when Nkunku's back fit anyway.

There's fucking no way Chelsea aren't over the ffp line no matter how clever their accounting is.

I see The Guardian is speculating that a £50m bid should sorta be in the ballpark right for Onana, and I think they're on drugs.

Consider:

- People pay over the moon for DMs (they have mentioned this)

- Onana is young and developing (they sorta mention it, but seems it doesn't come into consideration)

- He arrived last year for £33m (mentioned)

- He's got four years left on his contract

- Everton doesn't have to sell (mentioned)

Given all that, I'd say you bid under £80m and we should laugh away everything. That's an absolute minimum, to my mind. 

3 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

- People pay over the moon for DMs (they have mentioned this)

- Onana is young and developing (they sorta mention it, but seems it doesn't come into consideration)

- He arrived last year for £33m (mentioned)

- He's got four years left on his contract

- Everton doesn't have to sell (mentioned)

Yeah, but consider this counter

- Your owners are idiots

I think we need to get Garnacho off, Rashford out left and Sancho up front (or Martial, but I'd rather someone who's going to be fit next week). Rashford and Garnacho together might work against teams like Villa or Burnley or even City who are gonna push up on us, but not against the compact defenses. And Rashford really doesn't being central in these situations.

Liverpool fans are now on the darkest timeline, but this was exactly my fear when we dithered on Lavia’s fee and then abruptly went all-in on Caicedo despite him spending months talking to Chelsea.  But, in fairness to Liverpool’s transfer team, Chelsea’s willingness to give very long contracts and pay more to agents gives them an advantage in a head-to-head bidding war so maybe our flailing about was only a partial contributor.

Chelsea do seem over-stacked in CM for a 3-4-3 or a 4-2-3-1.  Enzo and Caicedes look like the obvious starters, and Chelsea doesn’t have European football this season to need a lot of squad management.

And, yes, Boehly’s free-spending ways  pre-date the Saudi influx but Chelsea have generated a lot in sales, pumped up directly and indirectly by Saudi money, and the asking prices of all the selling clubs like Brighton and Southampton are influenced by the amount of money they see sloshing around this summer.

I just hope Liverpool don’t end up with something like an Arthur Melo loan again.  It’s a waste of time, money, development and smacks of a failure to identify & secure a real target.

8 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

But, in fairness to Liverpool’s transfer team, Chelsea’s willingness to give very long contracts and pay more to agents

I must admit I’m not sure what the appeal of the extra long contracts is for the players. I assume they include high wages but if you’re Caicedo, a player who’s just had two big clubs fighting over him at 21, if you sign a standard five year contract you’re theoretically available again at 26 and you could leverage that into another big payday. An 8 year contract with the option of another year gives Chelsea all the leverage.

7 minutes ago, Raja said:

i know there haven't been goals but i think it's been entertaining enough

The second half’s been better to be fair.