Football: So it begins

Raja

Liverpool messing around with the Caicedo bid has destabilized Lavia, who previously reportedly favored a move to Anfield.  Although Chelsea’s higher wages and longer contracts for new signings are probably a factor too.

The bidding war for these DMs, and potentially others, is a real-time example of the inflation I mentioned from the influx of Saudi money.  Every club knows Liverpool is desperate for a DM and willing to spend up to 110m.  Expect to get rinsed.  Clubs focused on developing & selling players will receive a boost, e.g. the handful of Portuguese clubs.

Kristof Terreur has reported that Lavia moving to Chelsea is now more likely. Chelsea haven't agreed a fee with Southampton yet though. If Steinberg's report is accurate then they will have to match or beat Liverpool's £60m bid.

Steinberg has also reported that United have approached Everton for Amadou Onana. Also mentions that Everton are unlikely to sell unless a huge bid comes in as the club are not under pressure to make a sale and don't need to raise funds to finance the signing of a striker.

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The fuck is Neyman thinking? 

I've always had the impression that he doesn't think much in general. 

55 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The bidding war for these DMs, and potentially others, is a real-time example of the inflation I mentioned from the influx of Saudi money. 

I've been wondering how much this will fuck with every sport, and it's not just because of the Saudis. Major corporations are beginning to make similar plays and it's going to inflate the cost of everything. The major sports leagues in the US are starting to allow the Saudis and Qataris access and have for a long time been seeking individual billionaires to buy into teams. Unless I'm mistaken nothing has move value in the viewing market than live sports so everyone with fuck you money is rushing in now while they can. 

And I'm still of the mind every sport will be a PPV event in the not to distant future. 

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Every single signing that positively impacts the team gets an ACL injury within first year. It’s really fucking old.

'What we really need' say UEFA, FIFA and the FA, 'is more games. That'll fix it!'

1 hour ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Given that Onana was one of our best players on Saturday, that he's young and developing, and all that jazz, I'd say United should pay through the nose to get him. 

You want him, you show it.

I'd be alright with that. I'd rather pay really big for Onana than quite big for Amrabat, purely on the basis that Onana can conceivably be built up into the eventual Casemiro replacement whereas Amrabat is not that guy. 

I don't think we can sign Onana unless West Ham have come in with an improved bid for McTominay. Atalanta pulled our pants down so I don't think we can do another £70/80m+ fee without making a big sale.

ETA. Plus Steinberg has reported that the Maguire transfer could fall through because West Ham are growing frustrated over United taking too long to finalise his exit.

Edited by Consigliere