Your Unpopular ASOIAF Opinions/Hot Takes

Maegor_the_Cool

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

Because it shows that there are no actual arguments that support your claims, that’s why you keep repeating the same ones. And these same two or three points you’ve been banging on and on and on about for days now are factually incorrect. But have at it; after all it’s not like anyone else is going to change your mind.

I have not invented the Aegon dream thing, the author said that in an interview, the producers included it, the laws established I reported were mentioned in Fire and Blood, those are facts, I change my mind with facts, I don't care about your opinions or feelings

5 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

I have not invented the Aegon dream thing, the author said that in an interview, the producers included it, the laws established I reported were mentioned in Fire and Blood, those are facts, I change my mind with facts, I don't care about your opinions or feelings

Yeah, but the laws in FaB and that you've cited don't actually support the case you're making. They were either introduced way after Aegon, so that he can't claim the credit for them, or they're irrelevant to the "greater good" point. There was the "rule of six" law, which you have alluded to but not, curiously, actually identified, although this seems like it was all Rhaenys, and nothing to do with Aegon. And in all of that, these are all after the fact. If I murder someone and adopt their slightly underweight child, and give the child a healthy diet, even if that was my intention all along, that I've given the child a healthy diet doesn't make the murder ok

As I have said what feels like a hundred times now, I actually agree with you that Aegon's dream was probably a thing. 

I do not think that having a dream gives him automatic carte blanche to do whatever the hell he wants, and think he should still be accountable for the way he chooses to act.

As the saying goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Good intentions alone are not enough.

Edited by Alester Florent

1 minute ago, Alester Florent said:

I note that you haven't actually addressed anything I said, there, just reached for another controversial analogy

Discussion of whether Mohammed was justified in his conquests, or whether he was a good guy, is unlikely to end well and is almost certain to cause offence to someone, so in line with the board rules I suggest we do not do that. 

He did the Conquest for religious motives, are there victims in a Conquest? Of course there are, you are keeping to say Aegon was a bad guy, as an example you reported the burning of the poor Harren The Black. 

Aegon is one of the most important character, who fried previous monarchs for his dream and made Westeros better, if you are fan of some house he fried, that's your feeling, but you must prove with facts your statements

Just now, KingAerys_II said:

He did the Conquest for religious motives, are there victims in a Conquest? Of course there are, you are keeping to say Aegon was a bad guy, as an example you reported the burning of the poor Harren The Black. 

Aegon is one of the most important character, who fried previous monarchs for his dream and made Westeros better, if you are fan of some house he fried, that's your feeling, but you must prove with facts your statements

This just looks to me like you either haven't read anything I've said, or you're just deliberately misconstruing it.

To reiterate: killing Harren was A-OK by me. I am less thrilled about the burning of Harren's slaves, salt wives, prisoners, servants etc. who undoubtedly burned along with him due to the way Aegon went about killing Harren.

8 minutes ago, Alester Florent said:

This just looks to me like you either haven't read anything I've said, or you're just deliberately misconstruing it.

To reiterate: killing Harren was A-OK by me. I am less thrilled about the burning of Harren's slaves, salt wives, prisoners, servants etc. who undoubtedly burned along with him due to the way Aegon went about killing Harren.

Do you know the siege would have done more victims, right? It was the purpose of Harren to make every siege impossible to do by building the Harrenhal, same situation for the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. 

The historians of Westeros, the Maesters, consider Aegon a positive figure for Westeros, meanwhile Harren, Argillac and Meria are considered very bad

7 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

The historians of Westeros, the Maesters, consider Aegon a positive figure for Westeros, meanwhile Harren, Argillac and Meria are considered very bad

I mean, they're not, though, are they. Argilac's memory was honoured after he died. 

Besides which, the maesters are writing under the Targaryen regime. Obviously they're not going to say their founding figure was a monster. 

2 hours ago, Alester Florent said:

Robert was gored by a dangerous wild animal in its natural habitat, after he went looking for it and deliberately antagonised it. That's about as natural as deaths come.

Yes, Cersei helped contribute to the circumstances to make him more likely to die, but I can't see how any of it was "unnatural".

He was killed by a boar. 

I know I'm the minority here. 

There's not much evidence for R+L=J, but it feels right. But I think it's a trap. It's too clean... suspiciously clean... in a very messy story. 

It's out of place. It's a fairy tale in a story that deconstructs fairy tales. 

Maegor was the monster, Aenys was weak, Aegon IV was disgusting, Aerys II mad and evil, as historians were able to make bad description of emperors, so the Maesters in Westeros are able to do, some Maesters mocked Jahaerys as not able to understand his daughters as he did with roads

Edited by KingAerys_II

21 minutes ago, SaffronLady said:

Theory: to kickstart the crisis of House Stark so he could get his hands on Bran, Bloodraven skinchanged into the boar that killed Robby B. The king would die whether he drank wine or not.

I assumed it was Jorah Mormont.

The Mormonts sleep with bears, so may be skinchangers. The Mormont sigil is a bear, which looks a lot like "boar". At Lannisport Jorah defeated Strongboar, so he's established his dominion over boars. And Robert was trying to murder his beloved waifu, so he had a reason to kill him.

5 minutes ago, Alester Florent said:

I assumed it was Jorah Mormont.

The Mormonts sleep with bears, so may be skinchangers. The Mormont sigil is a bear, which looks a lot like "boar". At Lannisport Jorah defeated Strongboar, so he's established his dominion over boars. And Robert was trying to murder his beloved waifu, so he had a reason to kill him.

It is known, we’re even explicitly told! 

ADwD, The King's Prize

A stab at me, Asha thought, but let it be. "You are wed."

"No. My children were fathered by a bear." Alysane smiled. Her teeth were crooked, but there was something ingratiating about that smile. "Mormont women are skinchangers. We turn into bears and find mates in the woods. Everyone knows."

Asha smiled back. "Mormont women are all fighters too."

7 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

It is known, we’re even explicitly told! 

ADwD, The King's Prize

A stab at me, Asha thought, but let it be. "You are wed."

"No. My children were fathered by a bear." Alysane smiled. Her teeth were crooked, but there was something ingratiating about that smile. "Mormont women are skinchangers. We turn into bears and find mates in the woods. Everyone knows."

Asha smiled back. "Mormont women are all fighters too."

Well, that takes it from a 90% certainty to a 500% certainty!

5 minutes ago, SeanBeanedMeUp said:

Fair, though I do understand why she saw Rhaego as a threat. 

Sure, she saw him as Baby Hitler, and Dany as simply the enemy, and I can see where she was coming from.  I would not expect her to have any mercy towards the family of her persecutor, even if I disagree with her action.