The Rich and Powerful Who Abuse the System: the contempt topic

polishgenius

19 hours ago, Kalbear said:

It's funny, because at least for me I consider this an absolute win for Tesla and their systems. The regulators found an issue and Tesla is able to fix it without anyone coming in to the shop at all, improving the safety for every single owner of their vehicles at very little cost. This both improves safety and increases the likelihood that recalls will be issued because they're so cheap to do. 

Compare this to the airbag issue with Toyota that was issued several years ago and thousands of vehicles are still out there at risk, to the point where they're planning on giving citations to owners of the vehicles who haven't fixed them yet. 

On the one hand, it is a useful feature to be able to patch problems like this remotely. On the other hand, I wonder if individual users have the option of accepting or rejecting the patch? And if they don't, then I wonder what else Tesla can do to the cars it manufactures without the owners' consent. And obviously the connection goes both ways, Tesla must be collecting a huge amount of data as well. So yeah, this is a useful feature, but the broader implications of an always online car make me very nervous.

19 hours ago, Liffguard said:

And if they don't, then I wonder what else Tesla can do to the cars it manufactures without the owners' consent.

I remember a story a few years ago about Tesla changing the braking pattern via a software update in one of its models without warning its users first, but I can't find it now because any combination of 'Tesla' and 'braking' results in a mountain of stories about badly brakepads or Teslas just deciding on their own that they were gonna stop in the middle of a freeway. 

On the other hand, I wonder if individual users have the option of accepting or rejecting the patch? And if they don't, then I wonder what else Tesla can do to the cars it manufactures without the owners' consent. And obviously the connection goes both ways, Tesla must be collecting a huge amount of data as well. So yeah, this is a useful feature, but the broader implications of an always online car make me very nervous.

Force 20 year-olds to download the latest U2 album.

Yeah, I'd be quite worried about the implications for debtors as many car owners are debtors. It's both becoming harder to avoid auto debt and easier for the companies to collect and take back cars, plus gather all sorts of nifty data on the debtor on side to prepare for the next debt cycle after the bankruptcy.

Edited by Martell Spy

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Tesla Will Lay Off More Than 10% of Workers
Along with the departure of two senior executives, the cuts added to signs of turmoil at the electric car company.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/15/business/tesla-layoff-elon-musk.html

Makes sense. On top of fElon's many issues, this doesn't look like a great product advert:

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Makes sense. On top of fElon's many issues, this doesn't look like a great product advert:

Ye gods it's so fucking ugly.

So funnily enough I drove a Tesla for a few days last week. My car was in the shop and we went for a rental. EVs were actually the cheapest rentals available. Later on the rental dude (Hertz) told us that they were abandoning EVs because the replacement parts were so delayed.

Anyway, I actually rented a Bolt but they only had a Tesla Model 3 available. I didn't like it. Interior felt cheap and rickety. There was persistent noise leakage behind my ear like a hissing 8-track (hi, I'm old). I hated the fucking touchscreen being in charge of pretty much every car function except lights and shifting. I hated the stupid fucking flush door handles.

Acceleration was nice, I'll give them that, and acceleration is important to me (I've rejected prospective cars I otherwise liked in the past because they were so anemic). At times I really wanted to rip into some curves, but I had groceries sliding around in the back. It took some adjustment to the fact that the car would pretty much brake if I let off the gas. The brake pedal was almost superfluous.

So I continue to feel confident in our "not a Tesla" policy for Mrs Gabriel's next car. We're thinking a Hyundai or Kia at this point. Probably can't wait until the VW electric bus comes out (maybe I'll get one after I've driven my current car into the ground).

Edited by DanteGabriel

"It will not surprise you that a lot of the libertarian douchebros who run weed dealerships are horrible employers. Luckily, at least on the west coast, a lot of those workers have organized with the United Food and Commercial Workers. They need that representation and strikes may be on the horizon."

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/15/cannabis-delivery-strike-california-eaze

Tesla asks shareholders to back $56bn pay for Elon Musk rejected by judge
Delaware court in nullified compensation deal based on carmaker’s market value in January, calling it ‘unfathomable sum’

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/apr/17/elon-musk-tesla-pay

Tesla on Wednesday asked its shareholders to once again approve CEO Elon Musk‘s record-breaking $56bn pay that was set in 2018. A Delaware judge rejected the pay package in January, calling it excessive and saying the company’s board failed to justify it.

Elon Musk in front of a screen showing a Tesla Model 3 car, in January 2020.
Tesla to cut 14,000 jobs as Elon Musk aims to make carmaker ‘lean and hungry’
Read more
The compensation includes no salary or cash bonus, but sets rewards based on Tesla’s market value rising to as much as $650bn over the next 10 years. Tesla is now valued at over $500bn, according to LSEG data.

Musk’s pay was rejected by Kathaleen McCormick of Delaware’s court of chancery, who termed the compensation granted by the board as “an unfathomable sum” that was unfair to shareholders.

The company’s request for a new vote is an apparent attempt to bolster support for Musk’s pay package and serve as a public rejection of the court’s decision. The January ruling, which can be appealed, had nullified the largest pay package in corporate America. .....

• Stubby locked this topic