Who is the most famous/infamous/ahead of the rest in their field?

BigFatCoward

11 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I'm a penguin and I flew today. American Airlines. DFW suuuuuuucks.

@Madame deVenoge I'd put Sun Tzu over Ghengis Khan.

I mean, I've never read Ghengis Khan's The Art of War.

I thought he’s on the list cause he’s the most well known and accomplished mass murderer and rapist  ?

9 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I thought he’s on the list cause he’s the most well known and accomplished mass murderer and rapist  ?

:dunno:

The names were together, so I thought they were put forward for the same field. (warfare)

Perhaps the field should be listed first, and then the name.

Edit:For example,

Most Flyingist Penguin: ATK.

Edited by A True Kaniggit

Ronnie O’Sullivan

Roald Amundsen

6 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Thomas Edison (electricity), Walt Disney(Western Animation),Henry Ford(Cars),Edmund Hillary(Mountaineering),Bill Gates(PC),Warren Buffet(Investment),Adolf Hitler(Dictator/Fascist), Christopher Columbus(Explorer),Da Vinci(Renaissance),michael schumacher(F1) and Christopher Reeves(The one and only Superman)

Some of the guys you describe were better business men than innovators in their field. 

Columbus was a shit explorer btw. 

7 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Snooker Player: Ronnie O’Sullivan

Norwegion Explorer: Roald Amundsen

See? These names mean nothing to me. The field should absolutely be included before the name.

Of course now I have to look these two up for myself. 

Edit: Bolded done.

8 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

See? These names mean nothing to me. The field should absolutely be included before the name.

Of course now I have to look these two up for myself.

O’Sullivan: Snooker

Amundsen: exploration. The first man to successfully navigate the NW passage and reach the South Pole. All his men came back alive from both expeditions. 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Kim Jong-Il: Best golfer. 

He’s amazing. 

Donald Trump: the best at weighing 215lbs. 

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

3 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Donald Trump: the best at weighing 215lbs. 

Also the best at growing taller in old age despite being noticeably shorter than other people claiming to be 6'3. 

47 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Thomas Edison (electricity), Walt Disney(Western Animation),Henry Ford(Cars),Edmund Hillary(Mountaineering),Bill Gates(PC),Warren Buffet(Investment),Adolf Hitler(Dictator/Fascist), Christopher Columbus(Explorer),Da Vinci(Renaissance),michael schumacher(F1) and Christopher Reeves(The one and only Superman)

Wouldn't agree with quite a lot of these in either notoriety or accomplishment tbh. Edison has at the least Tesla for company for fame, Bill Gates is not significantly more famous than Steve Jobs, Julius Caesar was such a successful dictator that his name (or derivations of it) still mean 'emperor' in multiple languages, I'm not sure what 'reneissance' means here but there are plenty of hyper-famous reneissance dudes (Michelangelo, Galileo), and Schumi much as I love him was just one F1 great in a succession of them, preceded by Senna and followed by Hamilton. As far as the longevity of their fame goes Hamilton and Verstappen will probably get a significant boost because this current era is afaik the first time F1 has made any serious strides in the US. 

If we're talking sportsmen I'd nominate Wayne Gretzky for Ice Hockey and Michael Jordan for basketball. Jordan's kind of iffy coz there are other famous and great basketball dudes but I'd say Jordan is the only one who non-sports fans have definitely heard of, and that is still true and will continue to be true for decades after his retirement. Oh, and Tony Hawk (not being recognised by his fans), of course. 

This one is gonna vary significantly by country I'd imagine but I'd put forward Christopher Wren for architecture at least in Britain. 

14 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

This one is gonna vary significantly by country I'd imagine but I'd put forward Christopher Wren for architecture at least in Britain. 

Difficult to pick on one predominant architect from the UK. Church architecture fiends tend to love Wren, of course. But apart from him, there's Pugin, Rennie Mackintosh, Inigo Jones, John Nash, Sir John Vanbrugh, Edwin Lutyens... Plus Wren was predominantly active in London. If you're from the provinces, he doesn't loom so large in the imagination. 

19 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

… F1…

Well, as I interpret the thread topic, “ahead of the rest of their field”, guys like Schumacher, Senna, Hamilton, etc don’t really qualify. Super talented, sure. But just doing it a bit better than their competitors. You could throw Prost into that list as well.

As far as innovators, my money would be on Jackie Stewart and Niki Lauda. The way they approached their driving was fundamentally different and really the template for everyone who came after. 

3 minutes ago, dog-days said:

If you're from the provinces, he doesn't loom so large in the imagination. 

That may be fair, but I also think it's fair to say that most architects aren't known by people who aren't really into architecture, so Wren having designed several famous landmarks and 'rebuilt London after the fire' makes him one of the few who might come close to being known that way. Because his name is in school history books, basically. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Ronnie O’Sullivan

Roald Amundsen

Some of the guys you describe were better business men than innovators in their field. 

Columbus was a shit explorer btw. 

The thread isn’t about competency or whether they were actual inventors, it’s about fame and name recall so while I agree some of them are just businessmen and shit explorers, their fame lives on today unlike most of their competitors 

30 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Godzilla: Best destroyer of Tokyo. 

Bullshit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Tokyo

Best destroyer of Tokyo: America / 1923 Earthquake

Or this earthquake I suppose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_Great_Kantō_earthquake

Edit: Godzilla ain’t got shit on America and earthquakes. 

54 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Wouldn't agree with quite a lot of these in either notoriety or accomplishment tbh. Edison has at the least Tesla for company for fame, Bill Gates is not significantly more famous than Steve Jobs, Julius Caesar was such a successful dictator that his name (or derivations of it) still mean 'emperor' in multiple languages, I'm not sure what 'reneissance' means here but there are plenty of hyper-famous reneissance dudes (Michelangelo, Galileo), and Schumi much as I love him was just one F1 great in a succession of them, preceded by Senna and followed by Hamilton. As far as the longevity of their fame goes Hamilton and Verstappen will probably get a significant boost because this current era is afaik the first time F1 has made any serious strides in the US. 

Again, not talking about their accomplishments or actual competency, but just the name recall and fame. Bill is known as the PC guy and Steve jobs legacy is far more known for iPhones and post-pc apple than the macs today. Hitler and Schumi are better known amongst today’s generations than Caesar and Senna, although I agree Caesar’s overall impact was of course far larger but i interpret the OPs question in the modern context amongst today’s youth.Edison probably ties now with Tesla due to Elons company popularising that name more now though and it’s definitely debatable but I think da vinci has a tad more name recall than Michelangelo,Galileo,Raphael,etc cause of the Mona Lisa and other more prominent pop cultural artefacts he’s made that still greatly resonate in today’s culture (eg Dan Brown books,video games,other pop novels ,movies etc ) 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II