NFL 2023: No Swifties Allowed

Tywin et al.

Nah, the Lions probably aren't quite ready to be a true NFC contender, but they're still a good team that will win a lot of regular season games.  They are much better than the Raiders in the trenches, and it's not like Vegas has great coaching or anything to close that gap. 

I expect Detroit wins this one by double digits. 

17 hours ago, Kalbear said:

And you willingly support the Bengals?

Either you have a very weird humiliation fetish or you're trying to impress someone to get laid, and one is cool but the other is just sad, man. Anyone who needs you to he a Bengals fan to get them in bed is not worth it, no matter how crazy the crazy sex is.

Became a fan out of spite for my college roommates back in 2004. Wasn't a big football fan so at the time, it was a big "fuck you, I'm going to be a Bengals fan now" type of declaration. It stuck. Sadly, not getting laid because of it though I'm a lot happier when they're winning so my wife is happy.

6 hours ago, Mexal said:

Became a fan out of spite for my college roommates back in 2004. Wasn't a big football fan so at the time, it was a big "fuck you, I'm going to be a Bengals fan now" type of declaration. It stuck. Sadly, not getting laid because of it though I'm a lot happier when they're winning so my wife is happy.

Flip side of how I became a Niners fan.

Fifth grade. 1988.  Kid asks me “Who are you cheering for in the Super Bowl?”  “Who’s playing?” “Bengals and the Forty Niners.” “Who do you like?” “I like the Bengals.” “I like the other guys.”

35 yesrs later here I am. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Flip side of how I became a Niners fan.

Fifth grade. 1988.  Kid asks me “Who are you cheering for in the Super Bowl?”  “Who’s playing?” “Bengals and the Forty Niners.” “Who do you like?” “I like the Bengals.” “I like the other guys.”

35 yesrs later here I am. :lol: 

Funny how "out of town" fans come to be!

I was 9 or 10 at my grandma's house. I was banished to the living room because the older brothers and adults were playing cards in the kitchen. I saw news broadcast and the sports was on (back in those days it wasn't 24/7) and first they showed a clip from a NFL game and then scores, I saw Dallas scored like 86 points! Went and told older brothers and they laughed at me, told me it's impossible and I've been a Cowboys fan every since.

It was some years later that I realized it was a basketball scores shown after the football clip, not Dallas Cowboys! 

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

@Tywin et al. has always been a huge Josh Dobbs guy.  Huge.

Eh, at least they gave up next to nothing for him. I was optimistic the Vikes could turn things around, but the Cousins injury is a killer. Honestly they should probably be trying to trade away a lot of players and tank out, but the team never does that. We'll probably end the year 6-11 and just miss out on a pick that could get one of the sexy QB prospects. Who knows what they'll do in the offseason.

Also, Chase Young for a third is an absolute steal.

The rich get richer. 

Josh McDaniels and the team GM got shit canned. That's probably it for McDaniels as a HC, but all his money is guaranteed so that's got to be nice. If I were him I'd just get a condo in a tropical location, buy a boat and relax for a bit.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Josh McDaniels and the team GM got shit canned. That's probably it for McDaniels as a HC, but all his money is guaranteed so that's got to be nice. If I were him I'd just get a condo in a tropical location, buy a boat and relax for a bit.

Just in time to go back to New England and save Bill’s job.

On 10/31/2023 at 12:49 AM, dbunting said:

Funny how "out of town" fans come to be!

I was 9 or 10 at my grandma's house. I was banished to the living room because the older brothers and adults were playing cards in the kitchen. I saw news broadcast and the sports was on (back in those days it wasn't 24/7) and first they showed a clip from a NFL game and then scores, I saw Dallas scored like 86 points! Went and told older brothers and they laughed at me, told me it's impossible and I've been a Cowboys fan every since.

It was some years later that I realized it was a basketball scores shown after the football clip, not Dallas Cowboys! 

Probably about the same age, my best friend who got me into football was a Niners fan, so there I went. Plus, I lived in the middle of LA, the Rams were from Anaheim and I hadn't spent enough time in detention to be a Raiders fan.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The GM was a New England guy too. Maybe he comes back here if Belichick likes him. Have no idea if he was good at his job, but he can't be worse at GMing than late stage Belichick.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

The GM was a New England guy too. Maybe he comes back here if Belichick likes him. Have no idea if he was good at his job, but he can't be worse at GMing than late stage Belichick.

Jimmy G gonna wind up starting in New England after all!!!!!

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Just in time to go back to New England and save Bill’s job.

He might sink him for good. I don't think BB is long for the Pats and they should be thanking themselves they didn't let McDaniels be the heir apparent. 

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Idk why anyone would hire a coach from his tree. Haven't they mostly failed, both in college and in the pros? Hiring a front office disciple of BB seems like an even worse idea. It's been a disaster for well over a decade and other teams across sports should take note. Don't make your coach your GM. Get a coach and GM that work great together. It's just too much work for one person to do both jobs.

Over the course of the Patriots dynasty I've argued it's more because of Belichick than Brady, but my opinion has changed. Brady absolutely needed BB in the beginning, but after a certain point Brady was the driver. Seeing BB without him hammers that home. 

11 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The Chase Young deal looks like a steal, heard hes been injured a lot though so maybe its not the coup it looks like?

Well Washington trading the Niners future hall of famers for a third round pick is sort of their thing. 

But more seriously, yes, he has been hurt a lot.  And those injuries have had a habit of lingering such that Washington wasn't really sure whether he was still sort of injured or if this is just the new normal. 

However, this season he has been in the best form since his rookie year (maybe better than that as well), and has shown flashes of real dominance.  His advanced metrics have been really good.  I have no idea why Washington would trade him for a late third rounder when his compensatory pick would almost assuredly be a...late 3rd rounder.  I also don't understand why he didn't command a greater return than that.  He has a much higher ceiling than either Leonard or Sweat, and both those guys fetched a 2nd rounder.   Ceiling isn't everything, but when you're talking about pass rushers it matters a lot.  It is very possible Young will be a pro bowl pass rusher for the next seven years in SF. 

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

However, this season he has been in the best form since his rookie year (maybe better than that as well), and has shown flashes of real dominance.  His advanced metrics have been really good.  

I am sure it's a coincidence that he is playing for a contract this year. (I hate the cynic in me!)

9 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Probably about the same age, my best friend who got me into football was a Niners fan, so there I went. Plus, I lived in the middle of LA, the Rams were from Anaheim and I hadn't spent enough time in detention to be a Raiders fan.

My older cousin was born in LA. Moved back to Michigan while he was less than one year old. His favorite sports teams are ALL of the California teams! Why, because I was born there!

14 hours ago, dbunting said:

I am sure it's a coincidence that he is playing for a contract this year. (I hate the cynic in me!)

If you want guys to go out and risk their long term health for your entertainment, they ought to be well compensated.  I'm not aware of anyone questioning Young's commitment or desire to win in his time in Washington, so I don't think he's a particularly likely candidate for "only good in contract years".