Ned Stark as King

KingStoneheart

During my most recent re-read of AGoT, I picked up on something again during Robert and Ned's conversation just before the melee at the Hand's Tourney. Robert once again complains about being king and that he wishes either Ned or Jon took the throne - but Ned argues back that Robert's had more right than either of them and so it had to be them.

Hypothetically, let's just say one of Ned's more recent ancestors married into the Targaryen line in place of Robert's ancestor and this made Ned's claim to the throne stronger than Robert's, how would King Eddard Stark's reign, small council and Westeros look? On similar topics I've seen, it's always that Ned takes the throne by either Robert dying or him snatching it on arrival into the throne room.

Would Benjen be named Lord of Winterfell whilst Ned rules the new Royal line from King's Landing, would Jaime be sent to the Wall (and would he hold his oath and stay there as he would no longer get to see Cersei?).

Who would be on Ned's Small Council and who would be on Ned's Kingsguard / would he even keep the traditional 7 Kingsguard as he does not follow the Faith of the Seven?

Honestly, I think Ned would make a better King than Robert. But, it is troubling as Ned loves Winterfell. I think he would abolish the Kingsgaurd as it is not really an Old Gods kind of thing. He would have council, but I doubt it would look like our current councils. Probably it would have Robert and Jon Arryn and Hoster Tully on it. Things would not look good for the Lannisters. It is very probably that if Eddard has his way, Tywin Lannister is executed. If not, then at the very least things would be icy at best between himself as the Lannisters. AS I said, there would probably not be a Kingsguard, but if there was, then Jaime Lannister would be stripped of it, and either way I can see Ser Jaime being forced to take the Black (Lord Commander Jaime Lannister?) 

A solid question could be who would be the Lord of Dragonstone. Perhaps, .....Benjen? Are there any major players in Eddard*'s (can't be called Robert's anymore eh?) rebellion who would be rewarded with Dragonstone? 

Oh last thing, Tywin may be able to make peace with Eddard, but Gregor Clegane and Armory Loach have no chance. He'd hang them so quick. 

1 hour ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Honestly, I think Ned would make a better King than Robert. But, it is troubling as Ned loves Winterfell. I think he would abolish the Kingsgaurd as it is not really an Old Gods kind of thing. He would have council, but I doubt it would look like our current councils. Probably it would have Robert and Jon Arryn and Hoster Tully on it. Things would not look good for the Lannisters. It is very probably that if Eddard has his way, Tywin Lannister is executed. If not, then at the very least things would be icy at best between himself as the Lannisters. AS I said, there would probably not be a Kingsguard, but if there was, then Jaime Lannister would be stripped of it, and either way I can see Ser Jaime being forced to take the Black (Lord Commander Jaime Lannister?) 

A solid question could be who would be the Lord of Dragonstone. Perhaps, .....Benjen? Are there any major players in Eddard*'s (can't be called Robert's anymore eh?) rebellion who would be rewarded with Dragonstone? 

Oh last thing, Tywin may be able to make peace with Eddard, but Gregor Clegane and Armory Loach have no chance. He'd hang them so quick. 

I imagine Robb would be Prince of Dragonstone. He is Ned's heir. Benjin would likely get Winterfell though.

8 minutes ago, sifth said:

I imagine Robb would be Prince of Dragonstone. He is Ned's heir. Benjin would likely get Winterfell though.

Ah you are suggesting he plays it like Robert did, but eh..I don't think he does. I think Bran is named Lord of Winterfell. I do like the idea of the heir apparant being the Prince of Dragonstone like the Targaryen's though. I think Benjen could be castellan of Winterfell, but Ned would name his son I think. He literally talks multiple times about Bran being a Lord serving under Robb in our books (that isn't exactly precedent, but it...seems likely). 

12 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Ah you are suggesting he plays it like Robert did, but eh..I don't think he does. I think Bran is named Lord of Winterfell. I do like the idea of the heir apparant being the Prince of Dragonstone like the Targaryen's though. I think Benjen could be castellan of Winterfell, but Ned would name his son I think. He literally talks multiple times about Bran being a Lord serving under Robb in our books (that isn't exactly precedent, but it...seems likely). 

Keep in mind, in the timeline you're suggesting Bran isn't born yet and may not be. Only Robb and Jon are born. The other children might not even exist.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Keep in mind, in the timeline you're suggesting Bran isn't born yet and may not be. Only Robb and Jon are born. The other children might not even exist.

Well, Bran might not be Bran,but I'd suggest he would continue to have more children. Benjen would hold Winterfull as a Stark, but I don't think he would name him Lord of Winterfell. That child would probably be named Bran still, but it might not be our Bran. I am sticking with what I said. There is no set rule of what Eddard has to do. He doesn't have to name anyone Lord for as long as he wants. 

4 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Well, Bran might not be Bran,but I'd suggest he would continue to have more children. Benjen would hold Winterfull as a Stark, but I don't think he would name him Lord of Winterfell. That child would probably be named Bran still, but it might not be our Bran. I am sticking with what I said. There is no set rule of what Eddard has to do. He doesn't have to name anyone Lord for as long as he wants. 

He could also only have girls or be too busy rebuilding the realm to have more children. Just too many variables at play. Ned would be a much more hands on king and not leave the work to his Hand and small council, that’s for sure.

Jon Arryn = Hand

Hoster Tully = Master of Ships(not sure who takes over when Hoster becomes ill, I like to think Ned would award on merit)

Little finger = Master of Coin (I think in a battle of Jon(influenced by Lysa) Ned (influenced by Cat) and Petyrs "proven" track record he will get a place over Hosters concerns, especially if he has already taken ill)

Varys = master of whispers, I imagine Ned getting rid of the position but if Jon arryn convinces hom to keep the role then Varys is best for the job.

Robert Baratheon = Master of Laws, I think this is a terrible appointment but I believe as a leader of the rebellion he would be on the Small council...not sure if he will last until the time we begin the story.

Oberyn Martell = Dornish seat, I like to think Ned would be more willing to make amends to Dorne.

Barristan Selmy = Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. He would definitely keep him, as for keeping the Kingaguard he should but may abolish the 7 rule....although maybe he will be convinced as not to alienate the High septon.

Viserys Targaryen = Lord of Dragonstone, this may be wishful thinking but Ned.....May do this.

Hand- Jon Arryn(replaced by Stannis)

Master of Ships - Stannis(Replaced by Wendel Manderly)

Master of Coin - Hoster Tully (Replaced by Petyr Bealish then Stevron Frey)

Master of Whispers- Varys (Replaced by Benjen Stark)

Lord commander Barristan Selmy

Lord of Dragonstone: Davos Seaworth (Formerly disputed by Viserys Targaren and Aegon Blackfire)

I think Ned wouldn’t take the crown.  He’d declare the North it’s own kingdom.  He’d leave the South to those that follow the Faith of the Seven, Great Council maybe?  Jaimie would abscond to essos with Cersei.  Robert also may go to Essos.  He mentioned being a sell sword in book one.

2 hours ago, Otatop1000 said:

I think Ned wouldn’t take the crown.  He’d declare the North it’s own kingdom.  He’d leave the South to those that follow the Faith of the Seven, Great Council maybe?  Jaimie would abscond to essos with Cersei.  Robert also may go to Essos.  He mentioned being a sell sword in book one.

I disagree. Ned had no desire to be a king, but I don't think we're given any reason to believe that he wanted independence. Cersei had no desire to leave for Essos. Jaime would probably be happy about it, but Cersei wants power. Robert would probably stay at Storms End. Becoming a sellsword was an escape from 15 years of being a king and marriage to Cersei.

4 hours ago, Lee-Sensei said:

I disagree. Ned had no desire to be a king, but I don't think we're given any reason to believe that he wanted independence. Cersei had no desire to leave for Essos. Jaime would probably be happy about it, but Cersei wants power. Robert would probably stay at Storms End. Becoming a sellsword was an escape from 15 years of being a king and marriage to Cersei.

Ned had no desire to be Lord of Winterfell but it passed to him and his sense of duty wouldn't let him shirk it, being king would be treated the same way, whether as king in his own right or as regent for the king or queen to come

Ned might not have wanted independence but he was probably one of the few who didn't north of the neck and only a stark king would hold that at bay

1 hour ago, Alden Rothack said:

Ned had no desire to be Lord of Winterfell but it passed to him and his sense of duty wouldn't let him shirk it, being king would be treated the same way, whether as king in his own right or as regent for the king or queen to come

Ned might not have wanted independence but he was probably one of the few who didn't north of the neck and only a stark king would hold that at bay

That's what I as saying. If Ned thought being king was his duty, he'd become the king. He'd just do it begrudgingly and after a lot of pushing.

11 minutes ago, Lee-Sensei said:

That's what I as saying. If Ned thought being king was his duty, he'd become the king. He'd just do it begrudgingly and after a lot of pushing.

Probably a fair bit of house cleaning as well particularly after the flush of victory subsides and he realises just how bad some of them are

What do you think of my picks for the small council?

33 minutes ago, Alden Rothack said:

the first picks are just after the Rebellion, of those only Sir Barristan (Who stays where he is) and Stannis (Who moves from Ships to Hand) are still on it

Jon Arryn would likely stay the Hand of the King if he's not killed off. Jon was a healthy and strong man, even though he was old. If he does die, Stannis would probably take over. A Manderly makes sense as the Master of Ships. If Stannis can convince Ned to kill Littlefinger or Baelish flees, I can see Stevron taking his place (I'm curious about the relationship between him and Hoster, since Stevron is actually in his age group and Walder's part of an older generation). I think Ned might want Benjen to stay in Winterfell, but I'm not sure who he'd replace Varys with. Maybe Yohn Royce? Barristan I agree with. 100%. I don't think Davos would be the made the Lord of Dragonstone. His father was a crabber. Tywin was aghast at the idea that the son of a butcher would get Harrenhal. Davos is ennobled and a landed knight now, but I think that would be seen as too big of a jump. Dragonstone would probably go to Robb.

4 minutes ago, Lee-Sensei said:

Jon Arryn would likely stay the Hand of the King if he's not killed off. Jon was a healthy and strong man, even though he was old. If he does die, Stannis would probably take over. A Manderly makes sense as the Master of Ships. If Stannis can convince Ned to kill Littlefinger or Baelish flees, I can see Stevron taking his place (I'm curious about the relationship between him and Hoster, since Stevron is actually in his age group and Walder's part of an older generation). I think Ned might want Benjen to stay in Winterfell, but I'm not sure who he'd replace Varys with. Maybe Yohn Royce? Barristan I agree with. 100%. I don't think Davos would be the made the Lord of Dragonstone. His father was a crabber. Tywin was aghast at the idea that the son of a butcher would get Harrenhal. Davos is ennobled and a landed knight now, but I think that would be seen as too big of a jump. Dragonstone would probably go to Robb.

I suspect several of the changes are related to each other, Jon Arryn may have stepped down to go put his house in order because on information uncovered by Stannis, Benjen and maybe even Stevron (who has ties to several of the other kingdoms)

Benjen isn't needed in Winterfell by this point as Varys only really starts being a problem when Viserys and Aegon start making their moves though Benjen and others were spying on him and a number of other people before that

Ned giving Davos Dragonstone is for the same reason his ancestor gave an Andal the Wolf's den, because he was the right man for the job at the time, if he succeeds he can keep it, if he doesn't then Stannis and Manderly take it back and put someone else in control.