Cricket 45: World Cup Fever

Paxter

13 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Never knew Time Out was even a thing until today :o. Feel for Matthews...

I knew timed out was a thing, that's why you see people who obviously aren't ready rushing out when you get and unexpected flurry of wickets from time to time, I have to say this one was bullshit though. He was out there on time and the strap on his helmet has snapped. Surely some common sense has to be applied in that situation.

This led me to look up the other rare dismissal types, and I discovered that while there’s been a few internationals where people have been out obstructing the field or handled the ball, there has only been one hit ball twice, which was earlier this year in a T20 between Malta and Romania 

Yeah, they shouldn't have appealed for a time out in that circumstance. Matthews was already on the field and there was an obvious accidental reason why he was delayed in taking the crease. I didn't actually see it but I wonder what discretion the umpires have to advise (or at least clarify) with a captain as to whether they want to withdraw the appeal.

I agree with the general principle but the biggest cricket stadium in the world is the Narendra Modi Stadium ffs. I think the ship has sailed on that front.

To be fair though it does appear it was SLC who asked the ICC to get involved to try to limit government interference.

9 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I agree with the general principle but the biggest cricket stadium in the world is the Narendra Modi Stadium ffs. I think the ship has sailed on that front

:rofl:. You're goddamn right, but the dairy owner of the BCCI cash cow being milked be it IPL or anything is the ruling party in power. So mushy mushy. Sri Lanka is broke they just had an economic crisis, everyone fucks the poor relative.

There appears to be some controversy over the pitch (to assist the spinners, I surmise). Dont know why the BCCI wants to taint a potential victory, this Indian team is good enough to not need such shenanigans. And at any rate, Shami is the best bowler in the NZ innings, so its all a bit farcical.

5 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Never ever ever EVER back South Africa in a knockout game. Shaping to be another WC exit with a whimper.

I'm not sure about that just yet. Klaasen and Miller still in. At 4/76 off 24 overs they've not got much on the scoreboard and have eaten up a lot of overs, but I think if these guys stay in they've still got a path to 250+, which would be competitive. Great opening bowling by Starc and Hazlewood though. Aussies are coming good at the right time.

O'Donnell speaks for all Australians

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/301010520/black-caps-slammed-by-former-australian-cricketer-for-assisting-virat-kohli

former Australian ODI allrounder Simon O’Donnell, for helping Virat Kohli recover from cramp.

“I had a problem a couple of times last night. Virat Kohli gets cramp, they’re heading for 400 and blokes go over and help him,” O’Donnell said on Australian radio station SEN on Thursday.

“Why would you go and help Virat Kohli when he had a cramp? When they’re heading for 400. In a World Cup semifinal. Spirit of the game is playing within the laws. Virat Kohli is tearing your country apart and you want to go over and give him a hand?”

Forum survey says...?