FILM AWARDS SEASON 2023/2024 (Update: Writers Guild of America - Winners)

Mladen

Another year, another Film Awards Season... And once again, brought to you by none other :D

2023 was an incredibly difficult year for industry. We have faced two guild strikes - screenwriters and actors, both ending in the past few months, but not without disrupting the industry for a while. This has also affected the beginning of fall season, when the most of Oscar contenders are being released. This year, award season begins in New York on November, 30th when New York Film Critics Circuit will award their favorite movies and ending in March, 10 with Academy Awards. This year had a great range of rather interesting movies from Barbenheimer phenomenon to Martin Scorsese and Yorgos Lanthimos' newest flicks.  Per usual, the award season will give us clues at which movies will become true contenders for most coveted movie award - Oscar. 

This year, the award season will look like this and these will be the award shows that I will post about here:

That's all folks! Hope to enjoy this season with some great cinema and nice conversation... As always, it is a pleasure :wub:

VARIETY'S ACTORS ON ACTORS

VARIETY'S DIRECTORS ON DIRECTORS

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER ROUNDTABLES 

LOS ANGELES TIMES ROUNDTABLES

OSCAR SHORTLISTS

BAFTA LONGLISTS

GOLDEN GLOBES WINNERS

SCREEN ACTORS GUILD AWARDS - NOMINEES

DGA NOMINEES

GUILDS NOMINATIONS

PGA NOMINEES

THE CRITICS CHOICE AWARD (CCA) WINNERS

BAFTA NOMINATIONS

ACADEMY AWARDS NOMINATIONS

AACTA International Awards WINNERS

DGA WINNERS

BAFTA WINNERS

WGA NOMINNES

GUILDS WINNERS

César Awards WINNERS

SAG-AFTRA WINNERS

Independent SPIRIT Awards WINNERS

PGA WINNERS

SATELLITE AWARD WINNERS

ACE, GMS, ASC WINNERS

ASIAN FILM AWARDS WINNERS

WGA WINNERS

Edited by Mladen

I've seen 5 of these films - since the others still haven't opened here - and my favourite is either Poor Things or Past Lives (they are so different it's hard to compare them). Then Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon. Barbie last, but I enjoyed it too.

Oppenheimer has to get Best Editing, and Barbie Production Design. Cinematography- Poor Things.

For lead roles I think Cillian Murphy and Emma Stone, but I wouldn't mind Di Caprio and Lily Gladstone, they were great too. No opinion on Supporting Actress - since the favorite ls are mostly from movies I haven't seen. On the other hand, I've seen the movies of the top 5 favorites for Supporting Actor, and they are all great. But I'll be rooting for Mark Ruffalo.

Best Director - well, Nolan should finally win an Oscar he has already deserved before. Although Scorsese deserves more than one. Lanthimos can wait, but I sure wouldn't mind him winning.

I need to see The Holdovers and Anatomy of a Fall, but so far, I really hope Padt Lives wins Original Screenplay since it probably won't win other categories with all those flashier rivals.

@Annara Snow, if I remember correctly, we come from the same neck of the woods (unless you moved) so I am pretty much around that number too. That said, I expect this list to change, like always.

Honestly, OPPENHEIMER is the movie of the year and I can see AMPAS going in that direction. Pair it with Best Director for Nolan, couple of tech nominations and perhaps Murphy and RDJ in acting categories and there is a winning package. 

That said, Scorsese made such a beautiful movie and we'll see how Academy reacts to it. They do like to nominate him, but when it comes to winning, not so much. I mean, THE IRISHMAN went 0 out of 10. 

In acting categories, Emma Stone is "leading the pack" in Best Actress category. She hasn't won Volpi Cup in Venice, but POOR THINGS won bigger award so that is what ultimately counts (just like we understand that Sandra Huller has better chance of being nominated for Cannes' awarded ANATOMY OF A FALL than Merve Dizdar who won Best Actress at Cannes). That said, Stone is already a winner and if we have learned anything from Blanchett v Yeoh last year, it is that it can be used incessantly against you during campaign months. So the big question for Stone will be whether Academy is ready to give Stone her second Oscar. 

I have watched ANATOMY OF A FALL and Sandra Huller is mesmerizing. As international actress, she will need the push from international bloc of Academy, and perhaps critics' push as well. The same can be said for Greta Lee, whose subdued performance is not the Academy's cup of tea.

Mulligan and Benning ride on overdue narrative, but I doubt that will be enough for win... That leaves us with Lily Gladstone, whose borderline supporting performance has gained enough passion to carry her into the Oscar season. Which of the Michelles (Yeoh or Williams) will she prove to be this season, remains to be seen. She had a locked Oscar in Best Supporting Actress, but she decided to fight for the main prize. I respect that (from both her and Mulligan) but we'll see how it plays out.

Sleeping giant in Best Actress category is Natalie Portman whose NETFLIX Todd Haynes movie, MAY DECEMBER may get her nominated.

When it comes to Best Actor, we have the clash of the giants with Di Caprio, Cooper and Murphy. Di Caprio comes from Cannes with amazing reviews and I doubt there are many against giving him second Oscar. Cooper will have overdue narrative, with 9 Oscar nominations,  0wins (4 in acting categories). Murphy is the face of one of the most successful stories of the year, he is a beloved TV face and an amazing actor so we'll see.

In Supporting categories, everything is open. Danielle Brooks got raves from screenings of THE COLOR PURPLE and I would be over the moon if she wins (I adored her in ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK). We can expect some big name to find its way to this category like Moore or Cruz, but I would adore if it would be Rosamund Pike for SALTBURN. As I hear, she delivered the goods with some epic one-liners. I watched that clip "Men are so lovely and dry"... GLORIOUS!

For gentlemen, RDJ and Gosling ride on the fame of Barbenheimer, but I wouldn't be surprised if neither wins, despite strong cases for winning. On the rise is Charles Melton and a lot of people who have seen MAY DECEMER want him nominated. Also, De Niro is never to be ignored as well as Ruffalo. 

Later today, when they finish announcing the winners, I will post the winners of NYFCC. 

3 hours ago, Mladen said:

. That leaves us with Lily Gladstone, whose borderline supporting performance has gained enough passion to carry her into the Oscar season. Which of the Michelles (Yeoh or Williams) will she prove to be this season, remains to be seen. She had a locked Oscar in Best Supporting Actress, but she decided to fight for the main prize. I respect that (from both her and Mulligan) but we'll see how it plays out.

She should not have submitted for the Supporting Actress category because her role is not supporting. She is one of the leads. Actresses playing her sisters and mother would be supporting.

I hate category fraud, and I hate the way it's treated like supporting category is treated like some sort of a consolation prize and the lead category as "the main prize". It should be about whether you are playing one of the leads or a supporting character.

I also find it really annoying when people commonly call the Best Actor in A Leading Role / Best Actress in a Leading Role categories "Best Actor"/"Best Actress". No, there is no such category at the Oscars. You have to look at SAG awards or some others that don't have separate leading and supporting categories for that. The Best Leading Actor category is about leads, the Best Supporting Actor categories are about the supporting actors. It's not supposed to mean that the former are better than the latter. The former category is not all-emcompassing of all roles.

59 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

She should not have submitted for the Supporting Actress category because her role is not supporting. She is one of the leads. Actresses playing her sisters and mother would be supporting.

The truth is she could have campaigned in Supporting Actress category. Having watched the movie, I can see the arguments for both ways. That said, I am glad she decided on campaigning in Lead.

Spoiler

I hate category fraud, and I hate the way it's treated like supporting category is treated like some sort of a consolation prize and the lead category as "the main prize". It should be about whether you are playing one of the leads or a supporting character.

Sadly that is how it works these days. We have seen a lot of category frauds in the last years. I suppose the worst was 2016 with Alicia Vikander and Rooney Mara having to campaign in Supporting. Mara even objected back then, but sadly, that is how this circus works. Lately, more and more actresses are willing to campaign their co-lead roles in Lead category. Michelle Williams did it last year for THE FABELMANS, Carey Mulligan and Lily Gladstone this year. I support that and I agree with you. Supporting Actor/Actress Oscar is not some consolation prize.

Spoiler

I also find it really annoying when people commonly call the Best Actor in A Leading Role / Best Actress in a Leading Role categories "Best Actor"/"Best Actress". No, there is no such category at the Oscars. You have to look at SAG awards or some others that don't have separate leading and supporting categories for that.

For me, it is just linguistic thing, but I suppose you are right. No, televised awards always have separated Lead from Supporting performances. Movie festivals for example don't. But mostly Lead Actor/Actress win, although not necessarily. Cate Blanchett has won Volpi Cup at Venice for "I'm Not There" and that was Supporting Actress category at the Oscars. 

And, yeah... I have edited the opening post. When I'm wrong, I'm wrong :D

New York Film Critics Circle (NYFCC) Awards

Spoiler

Best Film:
Killers of the Flower Moon

Best Director:
Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer

Best Lead Actor:
Franz Rogowski, Passages

Best Lead Actress:
Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon

Best Supporting Actor:
Charles Melton, May December

Best Supporting Actress: 
Da'Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers

Best Screenplay:
Samy Burch, May December

Best Animated Film:
The Boy and the Heron

Best Cinematography:
Hoyte van Hoytema, Oppenheimer

Best Non-Fiction Film:
Menus-Plaisirs — Les Troisgros

Best International Film:
Anatomy of a Fall

Best First Film:
Past Lives

Edited by Mladen

4 hours ago, Mladen said:

The truth is she could have campaigned in Supporting Actress category. Having watched the movie, I can see the arguments for both ways. That said, I am glad she decided on campaigning in Lead.

Hide contents

Sadly that is how it works these days. We have seen a lot of category frauds in the last years. I suppose the worst was 2016 with Alicia Vikander and Rooney Mara having to campaign in Supporting. Mara even objected back then, but sadly, that is how this circus works. Lately, more and more actresses are willing to campaign their co-lead roles in Lead category. Michelle Williams did it last year for THE FABELMANS, Carey Mulligan and Lily Gladstone this year. I support that and I agree with you. Supporting Actor/Actress Oscar is not some consolation prize.

Reveal hidden contents

I also find it really annoying when people commonly call the Best Actor in A Leading Role / Best Actress in a Leading Role categories "Best Actor"/"Best Actress". No, there is no such category at the Oscars. You have to look at SAG awards or some others that don't have separate leading and supporting categories for that.

For me, it is just linguistic thing, but I suppose you are right. No, televised awards always have separated Lead from Supporting performances. Movie festivals for example don't. But mostly Lead Actor/Actress win, although not necessarily. Cate Blanchett has won Volpi Cup at Venice for "I'm Not There" and that was Supporting Actress category at the Oscars. 

And, yeah... I have edited the opening post. When I'm wrong, I'm wrong :D

The most absurd example was when both of the co-leads of Judas and the Black Messiah ended up being nominated as Supporting Actors.

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

The most absurd example was when both of the co-leads of Judas and the Black Messiah ended up being nominated as Supporting Actors.

I would say one of if not THE most absurd example of category fraud is Anthony Hopkins winning Best Actor in a lead role for his 16 mins of screen time in Silence of the Lambs.

12 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

I would say one of if not THE most absurd example of category fraud is Anthony Hopkins winning Best Actor in a lead role for his 16 mins of screen time in Silence of the Lambs.

I wouldn't call that crazy but it's definitely a bit of a stretch.

Even more ridiculous was a video essay (about 'male centric' and 'female centric' best picture winners) that claimed Silence of the Lambs was 'male centric' and that Hopkins was the star of the film.

Of the 4 I have seen, my personal favourites would be Oppenheimer, Past Lives, Killers of the Flower Moon and then Barbie.  All are very good movies in their own way.  I don't think I could ever watch Killers of the Flower Moon again though (or at least, for a very long time), which is both a point in its favour and the opposite.  Oppenheimer blew my mind.

5 hours ago, Mladen said:

Variety's Actors on Actors 2023/2024 Lineup:

Margot Robbie (“Barbie”) & Cillian Murphy (“Oppenheimer”)

Robert Downey Jr. (“Oppenheimer”) & Mark Ruffalo (“Poor Things”)

Emily Blunt (“Oppenheimer”) & Anne Hathaway (“Eileen”)

Halle Bailey (“The Little Mermaid”, “The Color Purple”) & Rachel Zegler (“The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes”)

Emma Stone (“Poor Things”) & Bradley Cooper (“Maestro”)

Colman Domingo (“Rustin,” “The Color Purple”) & Jacob Elordi (“Priscilla,” “Saltburn”)

Carey Mulligan (“Maestro”) & Michael Fassbender (“The Killer”)

Jeffrey Wright (“American Fiction”) & Taraji P. Henson (“The Color Purple”)

Greta Lee (“Past Lives”) & Andrew Scott (“All of Us Strangers”)

Annette Bening (“Nyad”) & Julianne Moore (“May December”)

Natalie Portman (“May December”) & Paul Mescal (“All of Us Strangers”)

Alden Ehrenreich (“Fair Play,” “Oppenheimer”) & Da’Vine Joy Randolph (“The Holdovers”)

Lots of reunions of people who were together in different movies amd shows - or in one case, two young women both starring in new  Disney versions of popular fairytales who got a lot of racist hate for being cast.

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

Lots of reunions of people who were together in different movies amd shows - or in one case, two young women both starring in new  Disney versions of popular fairytales who got a lot of racist hate for being cast.

Personal favorite is SHAME reunion of Mulligan and Fassbender. One of the gravest sins of Academy in 2010s was not nominating both of them in their respective categories for that masterpiece.

A lot of interesting pairings. Naturally, Barbenheimer couldn't have been avoided. Also interested in Bening and Moore. As always, will watch all :D

Couple of omissions, but I suppose KOTF crowd will do THR Roundtables. 

In other news, MAY DECEMBER is finally available on Netflix. The first reactions are considerably more positive than the first Cannes reviews from May. Netflix has the usual Oscar bait in MAESTRO, but I wouldn't be surprised if MAY DECEMBER becomes their greatest hit of the Oscar season. Whoever is in charge, I do hope they won't make the same mistake like last year betting on the wrong horse. Portman and Moore know how to properly campaign and Melton could easily become the strong contender to challenge big names in his category. 

Edited by Mladen

The Film Independent SPIRIT Awards - NOMINATIONS

Spoiler

BEST FEATURE (Award given to the producer)
All of Us Strangers – Producers: Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin, Sarah Harvey
American Fiction – Producers: Cord Jefferson, Jermaine Johnson, Nikos Karamigios, Ben LeClair
May December – Producers: Jessica Elbaum, Will Ferrell, Grant S. Johnson, Pamela Koffler, Tyler W. Konney, Sophie Mas, Natalie Portman, Christine Vachon
Passages – Producers: Michel Merkt, Saïd Ben Saïd
Past Lives – Producers: David Hinojosa, Pamela Koffler, Christine Vachon
We Grown Now – Producers: Minhal Baig, Joe Pirro

BEST FIRST FEATURE (Award given to director and producer)
All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt – Director: Raven Jackson, Producers: Maria Altamirano, Mark Ceryak, Barry Jenkins, Adele Romanski
Chronicles of a Wandering Saint – Director: Tomás Gómez Bustillo, Producers: Gewan Brown, Amanda Freedman
Earth Mama – Director/Producer: Savanah Leaf, Producers: Sam Bisbee, Shirley O’Connor, Medb Riordan, Cody Ryder
A Thousand and One – Director: A.V. Rockwell, Producers: Julia Lebedev, Rishi Rajani, Eddie Vaisman, Lena Waithe, Brad Weston
Upon Entry – Directors: Alejandro Rojas, Juan Sebastián Vásquez, Producers: Sergio Adrià, Carlos Juárez, Alba Sotorra, Carles Torras, Xosé Zapata

JOHN CASSAVETES AWARD – Given to the best feature made for under $1,000,000 (Award given to the writer, director and producer)
The Artifice Girl – Director/Writer: Franklin Ritch, Producers: Aaron B. Koontz, Ashleigh Snead
Cadejo Blanco – Director/Writer/Producer: Justin Lerner, Producers: Mauricio Escobar, Ryan Friedkin, Jack Patrick Hurley
Fremont – Director/Writer: Babak Jalali, Writer: Carolina Cavalli, Producers: Rachael Fung, Chris Martin, Marjaneh Moghimi, George Rush, Sudnya Shroff, Laura Wagner
Rotting in the Sun – Director/Writer: Sebastián Silva, Writer: Pedro Peirano, Producer: Jacob Wasserman
The Unknown Country – Director/Writer/Producer: Morrisa Maltz, Writer: Lily Gladstone, Writers/Producers: Lainey Bearkiller Shangreaux, Vanara Taing, Producers: Katherine Harper, Laura Heberton, Tommy Heitkamp

BEST DIRECTOR
Andrew Haigh – All of Us Strangers
Todd Haynes – May December
William Oldroyd – Eileen
Ira Sachs – Passages
Celine Song – Past Lives

BEST SCREENPLAY
David Hemingson – The Holdovers
Cord Jefferson – American Fiction
Laura Moss & Brendan J. O’Brien – Birth/Rebirth
Emma Seligman & Rachel Sennott – Bottoms
Celine Song – Past Lives

BEST FIRST SCREENPLAY
Samy Burch; Story by Samy Burch & Alex Mechanik – May December
Noah Galvin, Molly Gordon, Nick Lieberman & Ben Platt – Theater Camp
Tomás Gómez Bustillo – Chronicles of a Wandering Saint
Laurel Parmet – The Starling Girl
Alejandro Rojas & Juan Sebastián Vásquez – Upon Entry

BEST LEAD PERFORMANCE
Jessica Chastain – Memory
Greta Lee – Past Lives
Trace Lysette – Monica
Natalie Portman – May December
Judy Reyes – Birth/Rebirth
Franz Rogowski – Passages
Andrew Scott – All of Us Strangers
Teyana Taylor – A Thousand and One
Jeffrey Wright – American Fiction
Teo Yoo – Past Lives

BEST SUPPORTING PERFORMANCE
Erika Alexander – American Fiction
Sterling K. Brown – American Fiction
Noah Galvin – Theater Camp
Anne Hathaway – Eileen
Glenn Howerton – BlackBerry
Marin Ireland – Eileen
Charles Melton – May December
Da’Vine Joy Randolph – The Holdovers
Catalina Saavedra – Rotting in the Sun
Ben Whishaw – Passages

BEST BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMANCE
Marshawn Lynch – Bottoms
Atibon Nazaire – Mountains
Tia Nomore – Earth Mama
Dominic Sessa – The Holdovers
Anaita Wali Zada – Fremont

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Katelin Arizmendi – Monica
Eigil Bryld – The Holdovers
Jomo Fray – All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt
Pablo Lozano – Chronicles of a Wandering Saint
Pat Scola – We Grown Now

BEST EDITING
Santiago Cendejas, Gabriel Díaz, Sofía Subercaseaux – Rotting in the Sun
Stephanie Filo – We Grown Now
Daniel Garber – How to Blow Up a Pipeline
Jon Philpot – Theater Camp
Emanuele Tiziani – Upon Entry

ROBERT ALTMAN AWARD (Given to one film’s director, casting director and ensemble cast)
Showing Up
Director: Kelly Reichardt
Casting Director: Gayle Keller
Ensemble Cast: André Benjamin, Hong Chau, Judd Hirsch, Heather Lawless, James Le Gros, John Magaro, Matt Malloy, Amanda Plummer, Maryann Plunkett, Denzel Rodriguez, Michelle Williams

BEST DOCUMENTARY (Award given to the director and producer)
Bye Bye Tiberias – Director: Lina Soualem, Producer: Jean-Marie Nizan
Four Daughters – Director: Kaouther Ben Hania, Producer: Nadim Cheikhrouha
Going to Mars: The Nikki Giovanni Project – Directors/Producers: Joe Brewster, Michèle Stephenson, Producer: Tommy Oliver
Kokomo City – Director: D. Smith, Producers: Bill Butler, Harris Doran
The Mother of All Lies – Director/Producer: Asmae El Moudir

BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM (Award given to the director)
Anatomy of a Fall (France) – Director: Justine Triet
Godland (Denmark/Iceland) – Director: Hlynur Pálmason
Mami Wata (Nigeria) – Director: C.J. ‘Fiery’ Obasi
Tótem (Mexico) – Director: Lila Avilés
The Zone of Interest (United Kingdom, Poland, USA) – Director: Jonathan Glazer

PRODUCERS AWARD
 Presented by Bulleit Frontier Whiskey – The Producers Award, now in its 27th year, honors emerging producers who, despite highly limited resources, demonstrate the creativity, tenacity and vision required to produce quality independent films.

Rachael Fung
Graham Swon
Monique Walton

SOMEONE TO WATCH AWARD
The Someone to Watch Award, now in its 30th year, recognizes a talented filmmaker of singular vision who has not yet received appropriate recognition.

Joanna Arnow – Director of The Feeling That the Time for Doing Something Has Passed
Laura Moss – Director of Birth/Rebirth
Monica Sorelle – Director of Mountains

TRUER THAN FICTION AWARD 
The Truer Than Fiction Award, now in its 29th year, is presented to an emerging director of non-fiction features who has not yet received significant recognition.

Set Hernandez – Director of unseen
Jesse Short Bull, Laura Tomaselli – Director of Lakota Nation vs. United States
Sierra Urich – Director of Joonam

Edited by Mladen

The British Independent Film Awards (BIFA) - WINNERS

Spoiler

Best British Independent Film
All Of Us Strangers – Andrew Haigh, Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin, Sarah Harvey
Femme – Sam H Freeman, Ng Choon Ping, Myles Payne, Sam Ritzenberg
How To Have Sex – Molly Manning Walker, Ivana MacKinnon, Emily Leo, Konstantinos Kontovrakis
Rye Lane – Raine Allen-Miller, Nathan Bryon, Tom Melia, Yvonne Isimeme Ibazebo, Damian Jones
Scrapper – Charlotte Regan, Theo Barrowclough

Best International Independent Film
Anatomy Of A Fall – Justine Triet, Arthur Harari, Marie-Ange Luciani, David Thion
Fallen Leaves – Aki Kauriskmäki
Fremont – Babak Jalali, Carolina Cavalli, Marjaneh Moghimi, Sudnya Shroff, Rachael Fung
Monster – Hirokazu Kore-eda, Yuji Sakamoto, Genki Kawamura, Kenji Yamada
Past Lives – Celine Song, David Hinojosa, Christine Vachon, Pamela Koffler

Best Director
Raine Allen-Miller – Rye Lane
Sam H Freeman, Ng Choon Ping – Femme
Andrew Haigh – All Of Us Strangers
Molly Manning Walker – How To Have Sex
Charlotte Regan – Scrapper

Best Screenplay
Nathan Bryon, Tom Melia – Rye Lane
Andrew Haigh – All Of Us Strangers

Best Lead Performance
Jodie Comer – The End We Start From
Mia McKenna-Bruce – How To Have Sex
Tia Nomore – Earth Mama
Nabhaan Rizwan – In Camera
Andrew Scott – All Of Us Strangers
Tilda Swinton – The Eternal Daughter

Best Supporting Performance
Ritu Aryu – Polite Society
Jamie Bell – All Of Us Strangers
Samuel Bottomley – How To Have Sex
Alexandra Burke – Pretty Red Dress
Amir El-Masry – In Camera
Claire Foy – All Of Us Strangers
Paul Mescal – All Of Us Strangers (TIE)
Alia Shawkat – Drift
Shaun Thomas – How To Have Sex (TIE)
Katherine Waterson – The End We Start From

Best Joint Lead Performance
Lola Campbell, Harris Dickinson – Scrapper
David Jonsson, Vivian Oparah – Rye Lane
Nathan Stewart-Jarrett, George MacKay – Femme

The Douglas Hickox Award (Best Debut Director)
Raine Allen-Miller – Rye Lane
Savanah Leaf – Earth Mama

Breakthrough Producer
Theo Barrowclough – Scrapper
Georgia Goggin – Pretty Red Dress
Yvonne Isimeme Ibazebo – Rye Lane [Also Produced By Damian Jones]
Gannesh Rajah – If The Streets Were On Fire
Chi Thai – Raging Grace

Breakthrough Performance
Le’Shantey Bonsu – Girl
Lola Campbell – Scrapper
Priya Kansara – Polite Society
Mia McKenna-Bruce – How To Have Sex
Vivian Oparah – Rye Lane

Best Debut Screenwriter
Nathan Bryon, Tom Melia – Rye Lane
Nida Manzoor – Polite Society

Best Debut Director – Feature Documentary
Chloe Abrahams – The Taste Of Mango
Sophie Compton, Reuben Hamlyn – Another Body
Ella Glendining – Is There Anybody Out There?
Alice Russell – If The Streets Were On Fire
Christopher Sharp – Bobi Wine: The People’s President [Also Directed By Moses Bwayo]

The Raindance Maverick Award
If The Streets Were On Fire – Alice Russell, Gannesh Rajah
Is There Anybody Out There? – Ella Glendining, Janine Marmot
Name Me Lawand – Edward Lovelace
Raging Grace – Paris Zarcilla, Chi Thai
Red Herring – Kit Vincent, Ed Owles

Best Feature Documentary
Another Body – Sophie Compton, Reuben Hamlyn, Isabel Freeman, Elizabeth Woodward
Bobi Wine: The People’s President – Moses Bwayo, Christopher Sharp, John Battsek
If The Streets Were On Fire – Alice Russell, Gannesh Rajah
Lyra – Alison Millar, Jackie Doyle
Occupied City – Steve Mcqueen, Bianca Stitger, Floor Onrust, Anna Smith-Tenser

Best British Short Film
Christopher At Sea – Tom C J Brown, Laure Desmazières, Emmanuel-Alain Raynal, Pierre Baussaron, Amanda Miller, Hannah Stolarski, Nick Read, Emily-Jane Brown
Festival Of Slaps – Abdou Cissé, Cheri Darbon, George Telfer
Lions – Beru Tessema, Ama Ampadu
Muna – Warda Mohamed, Angela Moneke, Simon Hatton
The Talent – Thomas May Bailey, Emma D’arcy, Ellen Spence

Best Casting
Shaheen Baig – Scrapper
Kharmel Cochrane – Rye Lane
Kahleen Crawford – All Of Us Strangers
Isabella Odoffin – How To Have Sex
Salome Oggenfuss, Geraldine Barón, Abby Harri – Earth Mama

Best Cinematography
Olan Collardy – Rye Lane
Suzie Lavelle – The End We Start From
Molly Manning Walker – Scrapper
Jamie D. Ramsay – All Of Us Strangers
James Rhodes – Femme

Best Costume Design
George Buxton – How To Have Sex
Oliver Cronk – Scrapper
Buki Ebiesuwa – Femme
Cynthia Lawrence-John – Rye Lane
PC Williams – The End We Start From

Best Editing
Jonathan Alberts – All Of Us Strangers
Victoria Boydell – Rye Lane
Paul Carlin – Bobi Wine: The People’s President
Avdhesh Mohla – High & Low: John Galliano
Arttu Salmi – The End We Start From

Best Effects
Paddy Eason – Polite Society
Theodor Flo-Groeneboom – The End We Start From
Jonathan Gales, Richard Baker – The Kitchen

Best Music Supervision
Ciara Elwis – Femme
Connie Farr – All Of Us Strangers
David Fish – Rye Lane

Best Make-Up & Hair Design
Zoe Clare Brown – All Of Us Strangers
Claire Carter – Polite Society
Marie Deehan – Femme
Natasha Lawes – How To Have Sex
Bianca Simone Scott – Rye Lane

Best Original Music
Adam Janota Bzowski – Femme
Patrick Jonsson – Scrapper
Kwes – Rye Lane
Anna Meredith – The End We Start From
Ré Olunuga – Girl

Best Production Design
Laura Ellis Cricks – The End We Start From
Sarah Finlay – All Of Us Strangers
Elena Muntoni – Scrapper
Nathan Parker – The Kitchen
Anna Rhodes – Rye Lane

Best Sound
Ben Baird, Jack Wensley, Adam Fletcher, Alexej Mungersdorff – Scrapper
Steve Fanagan – How To Have Sex
Stevie Haywood, Joakim Sundström, Per Bostrom – All Of Us Strangers
Mark Jenkin – Enys Men
Jens Rosenlund-Petersen, Amy Felton, Joe Jackson, Tim Cavagin, Lori Dovi – The End We Start From

Edited by Mladen

Despite having zero chances to win, mescal was my favorite in his category last year. AFTERSUN is such an amazing movie, a true gem and he is sublime. 

MAY DECEMBER SPOILERS

Spoiler

Having watched MAY DECEMBER, I am all in for Charles Melton winning. The Best Supporting Actor category is stacked with Hollywood heavy-weights like De Niro, Gosling; Ruffalo and RDJ, but Melton was absolutely perfect in MAY DECEMBER. The way his posture speaks about his psychological state should be in acting books. He verbalizes so little, and yet every time he is on screen, you realize what was done to him. 

My cinephile soul was over the moon to see that Haynes and Moore also transferred some of their masterpiece SAFE energy and infused it into this movie. Loved it, especially in terms of the conversations one can have. And that graduation scene with Gracie and Elizabeth and that switch of power... Portman and Moore nailed how the huntress and the hunt exchanged so easily in a second. 

Not sure about other categories, but for acting:

• Melton - totally win-competitive
  • Moore - could be win-competitive, but I think she could be nominated
  • Portman - can't see her winning, wouldn't be surprised if she gets nominated