NFL 4th Quarter

DireWolfSpirit

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

All the same, what teams wouldn't fire their coach to hire him? I can only think of a few not including a few of the young promising coaches that got hired in the last two years or someone like Payton who the team owes too much money to. 

He'd get a job immediately, no doubt. And I wish him the best, just think things have grown stale. At this point I'd like to invest in a younger offensive-minded coach. That's the way the game has shifted. Tomlin has full-blown, blue ribbon nincompoops at OC all the time. And he has a say-so in that stuff, like heavily. When you see guys like McVay who've had a coaching tree since he was 35, and even Sirianni has had an OC get a promotion to HC already, you wonder why Tomlin keeps signing off on these idiots. It's not just coaching with him, it's his stubborn hiring ways. He hires older people that are in-house. He doesn't consider hiring outside talent. That's shallow thinking and it puts the team behind. 

11 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

He'd get a job immediately, no doubt. And I wish him the best, just think things have grown stale. At this point I'd like to invest in a younger offensive-minded coach. That's the way the game has shifted. Tomlin has full-blown, blue ribbon nincompoops at OC all the time. And he has a say-so in that stuff, like heavily. When you see guys like McVay who've had a coaching tree since he was 35, and even Sirianni has had an OC get a promotion to HC already, you wonder why Tomlin keeps signing off on these idiots. It's not just coaching with him, it's his stubborn hiring ways. He hires older people that are in-house. He doesn't consider hiring outside talent. That's shallow thinking and it puts the team behind. 

He's made missteps, sure, but so has BB all over the place. It's a hard, random job. A lot of coaches get celebrated in large part because they lucked into a good situation. I tend to trust the ones that can turn shit into something decent. It's clearer than ever unless you're a rare offensive mind you just need a good leader and a top third of the league QB. 

One of Tomlin's strengths is absolutely man-management.

During his time with the Steelers, he mostly kept some real problem characters in line and focused on playing the game.  And he did so without letting the issues with those characters get into the media, unless those characters leaked it themselves.

He generally kept Big Ben, who is a self-absorbed anti-leader, generally playing well and smoothed out BB's many conflicts with his teammates that BB generated himself by running his mouth on places like his radio show.

He kept a lid on Antonio Brown's bizarro behavior for years, and dealt with him in such a way that allowed Brown to experience success on the field to an enormous extent.  Only Brown's own broadcasting of his own insanity (filming the lacker room, etc.) at the end, after years, finally let the cat out of the bag about what kind of stuff he was up to.

He got James Harrison and his crew to play (mostly) within the lines, and he gave them a focus point for their nutso aggression.  They would come down here to Scottsdale and train at a local sport medicine place in the summer, and I would sit and watch them play a sort of beach volleyball with 50-lb. medicine balls on some days at our local park.  They were always talking trash to each other about what "T" would want and what his expectations were.

He kept Lamar Woodley on task for almost his entire Steelers career, but as soon as Woodley overtly indicated that he would rather eat than perform, he shipped him off to the NFL Old Folks' Home in Phoenix.

I could go on, but Tomlin is the coach that can probably get the most out of a talented but personally undisciplined player.  Since player salaries are Expense No. 1, and failure to extract talent is Risk No. 1 for an NFL team, he is an incredibly valuable coach.

I loved Cowher, and he had his own gifts and talents, but he lacked this particular vision for flawed players.

Lmao, poor JAX FG kicker down there in Tampa.

The crosswinds off the Gulf must've carried that kick a good 10 feet right, he was doomed as soon as he launched.

Mayfield looks ready to fight for some playoff time, he doesnt quit.

Bucs up 20-0 over Jags in 1st half.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

One of Tomlin's strengths is absolutely man-management.

During his time with the Steelers, he mostly kept some real problem characters in line and focused on playing the game.  And he did so without letting the issues with those characters get into the media, unless those characters leaked it themselves.

He generally kept Big Ben, who is a self-absorbed anti-leader, generally playing well and smoothed out BB's many conflicts with his teammates that BB generated himself by running his mouth on places like his radio show.

He kept a lid on Antonio Brown's bizarro behavior for years, and dealt with him in such a way that allowed Brown to experience success on the field to an enormous extent.  Only Brown's own broadcasting of his own insanity (filming the lacker room, etc.) at the end, after years, finally let the cat out of the bag about what kind of stuff he was up to.

He got James Harrison and his crew to play (mostly) within the lines, and he gave them a focus point for their nutso aggression.  They would come down here to Scottsdale and train at a local sport medicine place in the summer, and I would sit and watch them play a sort of beach volleyball with 50-lb. medicine balls on some days at our local park.  They were always talking trash to each other about what "T" would want and what his expectations were.

He kept Lamar Woodley on task for almost his entire Steelers career, but as soon as Woodley overtly indicated that he would rather eat than perform, he shipped him off to the NFL Old Folks' Home in Phoenix.

I could go on, but Tomlin is the coach that can probably get the most out of a talented but personally undisciplined player.  Since player salaries are Expense No. 1, and failure to extract talent is Risk No. 1 for an NFL team, he is an incredibly valuable coach.

I loved Cowher, and he had his own gifts and talents, but he lacked this particular vision for flawed players.

Man management? He has people quitting on the team and making it a known issue for the past 6-7years. Bell, Blount, Brown, Harrison, Melvin Ingram, Morgan Burnett, Martavis Bryant, and Juju constantly being a distraction. He now has two clowns in Johnson and Pickens that can't stay focused or give full effort and it happens more than once so clearly Tomlin doesn't rectify the problem.

I don't understand why people slap him on the back for keeping AB's behavior under wraps for so long. AB's craziness escalated over time, it wasn't there from the start, not like how we saw it at the end. To say that year 1-4 AB was the same as 2017-18 era AB is wrong. 

Cool anecdote on Harrison and the training sessions. Wonder if he was leading that jamboree when he was sleeping in meetings cause he wasn't getting playing time towards the end. 

Tomlin saw success early on cause he didn't have to man manage anyone. He had Heath Miller, Kiesel, Polamalu, Hines Ward, Willie Colon, Farrior, and a less disgruntled Harrison, etc taking care of that. It's after those guys leave where you see the issues popping up. 

Keep drinking his cool aid and you'll keep seeing these recycled issues pop up every year. 

7 hours ago, Jace, Extat said:

I would trade every player on the Colts for Mike Tomlin. You can build talent, coaches are rarer than gold.

You're nuts.  I feel like the local shop tech in a horror movie trying to tell the college kids to turn around before it's too late. 

I'll accept this trade if it's official. 

I really just can't understand why everyone on here thinks he's a great coach. 2009 was a long time ago. The shortcomings and failures since then are higher than Mt. Doom. 

Edited by l2 0 5 5

39 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Trying to forecast your teams likely playoff matchup this year is a bit like catching a greased pig I see. 

Even harder than that:

Courtney Cox was hotter than Jennifer Aniston. Merry Christmas.

ETA: Also the Niners really made me doubt them tonight. @Rhom, your boy kind of sucks. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

It's fine to say that every quarterback has a bad game or two this year.  A 4 interception stinker where you get sorta injured/sorta benched and then Sam Darnold moves the ball noticeably better than you is more than just a bad game.  And it was on national tv!  Purdy's argument was always a combination of "the quarterback on the best team" and great stats.  Well the stats look less great after last night, and the best quarterback on the best team is now Jackson. 

Contrast this with McCaffery, who in spite of losing still had a great game.  I really hope they give it to a non-qb this year.  Both McCaffery and Hill are far more deserving.