Football: The long goodbye. tic-toc goes the Klopp.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Is your intention here just to prove my point a few posts back? Because this post fucking reeeeeeeks of bitterness. 

:lol: Jesus Christ wind your neck in. If you don't recognise that's true it's a little embarrassing. 

We've taken four points off Liverpool. 

We've taken three points off Man City. And we'll probably beat them again. 

So if anyone needs to be winding anything in, it ain't me. 

6/1 looks ver attractive to me right now. 

Edited by Spockydog

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

No it's not. We look refreshed and up for it. 

Yes it is. City now is 5 pts behind with 2 games in hand. If Liverpool won, they'd stay ahead, now City is in the driver seat. Sure we can compete, but we're going to need to win some big away games (still need to go to City, United, Spurs) and actually score our xG and give up our xG against, neither of which is assured given we're incredible at wasting chances and fantastic at giving up goals on minimal shots on target. Don't get me wrong, huge match for Arsenal to stay in the race, but that helped City get closer to winning the league than it did us.

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

We're going to beat them next month. 

At the Etihad? I'm not expecting this, especially with our paper thin squad. I'm not counting out more injuries. Your confidence is very high, appreciate that, but I still remember us playing Fulham, West Ham and Liverpool (in the FA Cup) this season. Those types of matches can and will happen to us.

Edited by Mexal

21 minutes ago, Mexal said:

At the Etihad? I'm not expecting this, especially with our paper thin squad. I'm not counting out more injuries. Your confidence is very high, appreciate that, but I still remember us playing Fulham, West Ham and Liverpool (in the FA Cup) this season. Those types of matches can and will happen to us.

Sure, Arsenal sometimes struggle against teams we're expected to beat. But so do City (I have a strong feeling they're going to get stung by the Bees tonight). And Liverpool most definitely struggle several times a season.

I really don't get the certainty around Arsenal not being able to compete. What is this based on? We have the joint best defence in the league, and despite it's thinness, the 2nd most valuable squad in world football.

And no matter what the haters say, we definitely have one of the best young managers around.

Edited by Spockydog

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Sure, Arsenal sometimes struggle against teams we're expected to beat. But so do City (I have a strong feeling they're going to get stung by the Bees tonight). And Liverpool most definitely struggle several times a season.

I really don't get the certainty around Arsenal not being able to compete. What is this based on? We have the joint best defence in the league, and despite it's thinness, the 2nd most valuable squad in world football.

And no matter what the haters say, we definitely have one of the best young managers around.

Thinness of the squad, yes is probably a big reasons, given how injuries have completely wrecked Arsenal's seasons before.

Plus, not having a decent 20 goal striker always feels like a failing that will always hobble you. That shot from Havertz yesterday that led to the goal kind of sums it up. 

15 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Who said we can't compete? All I said is that our win over Liverpool helped City more than us. That is statistically true based on fixtures, squad, and games in hand. I didn't say they're going to win or that we have no chance. Yes, all teams will drop points, I just think it's less likely City drop more than us.

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Thinness of the squad, yes is probably a big reasons, given how injuries have completely wrecked Arsenal's seasons before.

Plus, not having a decent 20 goal striker always feels like a failing that will always hobble you. That shot from Havertz yesterday that led to the goal kind of sums it up. 

Poor Havertz. He was great yesterday, absolutely critical in bullying Konate but just can't finish. So frustrating.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

Who said we can't compete? 

I'm referring to the claims that all we did yesterday was increase the chance of City cheating their way to another title.

I don't subscribe to that notion. Not one bit. 

Just now, Spockydog said:

I'm referring to the claims that all we did yesterday was increase the chance of City cheating their way to another title.

I don't subscribe to that notion. Not one bit. 

No one said "all we did". But we did increase the chance of City winning another title. That chance can change if they lose today but as of yesterday, it did increase their odds.

I understand why Carragher was being a baby about it, but Gary Neville was complaining about someone over-celebrating against Liverpool? This Gary Neville?

In any case it does increase the chances of City winning the title because Arsenal are the Spurs of North London.

Liverpool are still the most likely team to challenge City. They are still ahead of Arsenal in the table and have a number of key players coming back. Should be a good 3-way title race though - I'd be surprised if Arsenal fold quite so easily as they did last season when the pressure was on.

Edited by Consigliere

A little bit of good news regarding Lisandro. His injury is apparently not as bad as first feared - there were concerns that he'd torn his MCL or ACL. Turns out he has a sprained collateral ligament which will keep him out for 6–8 weeks and does not require surgery.

23 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Liverpool are still the most likely team to challenge City. They are still ahead of Arsenal in the table and have a number of key players coming back. Should be a good 3-way title race though - I'd be surprised if Arsenal fold quite so easily as they did last season when the pressure was on.

Luckily, this year, we don't need to play Rob Holding as our starting CB in the most crucial stretch of the run in.

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Timber should be fit again for the run in as well.

That'll be huge, especially with Zinchenko coming off at half with yet another calf injury. Luckily Tomi is back this week from Asia Cup but he doesn't exactly have the most stellar injury history either.