Football: The long goodbye. tic-toc goes the Klopp.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

eta. unless they are on the same side of the draw as City. Haven't checked.

Hum?!?

Free draw isn't it? Inter (should they advance) can draw any other team, including City. No play-off tree with pre-determined paths.

1 hour ago, The Sunland Lord said:

The problem is that now Thuram is injured for the next few weeks

Some good news on that front. There are reports saying that his injury is minor and he's expected to be back for the game against Genoa or Bologna at the latest.

14 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Hum?!?

Free draw isn't it? Inter (should they advance) can draw any other team, including City. No play-off tree with pre-determined paths.

Just checked. The draw for the QFs and SFs will only take place on March 15.

Edited by Consigliere

For those who are interested Short intervuew with Mona Nemmer (Liverpool's nutrionist) - German language, I won't transalte, you can use google translate and ask if you have problems with passage.

I found it amusing, that she apparently pretty much had to start from scratch in terms of nutrition at a club of Liverpool's size.

4 hours ago, Darryk said:

I'm really jealous of the way Liverpool so efficiently breaks down well-organised defenses, even with a team stretched by injuries. They're like a battering ram.

There has been a huge shift by Liverpool to being a second-half team this season.  A few years ago we would blitz teams for the first ~20 minutes and score at least one goal, then we could reduce intensity, manage the game, and eventually score another on a counterattack.

Now we struggle to score early and often concede first.  But our half-time tactical adaptations have generally been a good response to the latest variety of parked bus, and we seem to exhaust our opponents as the game wears on.  Plus our attacking subs have generally done well against tiring defenders.  Klopp’s in-game management seems really important this year, and much different from when he was criticized for making subs too late.

It’s definitely an effective system so far and we’re having a high scoring season despite Nunez and Diaz having very low conversion %.

Edited by Iskaral Pust

34 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Freiburg v West Ham

Early rematch from the Group Stage. Along side Roma - Brighton the pairing the watch out for this round. Ah, OM - Villareal should be fun.

Liverpool pumping Sparta Prague for fun is not gonna be that itneresting of a pairing.

43 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Hojlund out for 2–3 weeks with a muscle injury.

Damn. Here I was hoping his recent form would help you take points off City in the derby! :rolleyes:

What is it with these shitty muscle injuries this season. Everyone is getting them!  Heard a stat that muscle injuries are up 40% this season.

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

36 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Damn. Here I was hoping his recent form would help you take points off City in the derby! :rolleyes:

What is it with these shitty muscle injuries this season. Everyone is getting them!  Heard a stat that muscle injuries are up 40% this season.

Might have something to do with a crammed fixture list last season in order to accommodate a December WC.

eta. preseasons becoming marketing campaigns involving extensive travel probably doesn't help either.

Edited by Consigliere

Pressing has become a much bigger part of basically everyone’s gameplan these days too. It wasn’t that long ago that a lot fowards could spend a decent chunk of the game jogging around making sure they were in roughly the right position but weren’t being asked to do anything too taxing. Now even out of possession it’s loads of high intensity sprints.

Edited by ljkeane

The constant, creeping expansion of internationals is eventually going to push top players out of their national teams.  And good riddance from my perspective, as international competitions don't hold my interest outside of the CAF - they are just opportunities for players to bring injuries and exhaustion back to their clubs.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd like to hear when do people think Klopp should field a team of second-stringers and youngsters if not when he has a few players out with injuries, faces a side in relegation battle at home and 4 days before a Cup final?

It's perfectly reasonable star players would be rested, especially when they have some nagging injuries or something.