NBA - squeaky bum time

BigFatCoward

Squeaky bum time is from Sir Alex Ferguson, basically when shit get real.

Pleased its back, business end of the season is so much more engaging.

Very convincing win for OKC. 

Wemby has separated himself from the pack in the rookie of the year, and put another excellent stat line, just missing out on a 5 x 5.

MVP is very close

Jokic again is ridiculous, 21,19,15 with 10/10 FG's in about 30 mins

Luka dragging the Mavs into top 4 contention and him and Kyrie seem to have properly gelled

SGA quietly going about his business (he might suffer in MVP votes because he never has stand out games, just scores 30 every night). 

47 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

And going further, why do we want them to?  If you want All-Stars to play hard in the ASG, you have to risk injury, and why would that be desirable?  Why does this game need to be saved?

After watching Orlando's first game back last night, I'm very happy most of the team got a week off.  The one that didn't - Paolo - was literally sick.  As was Donovan Mitchell, who didn't play, so I guess that worked out for me.

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Wemby has separated himself from the pack in the rookie of the year, and put another excellent stat line, just missing out on a 5 x 5.

Wemby has been better than Chet, but I have a hard time giving it to him. Chet is a key piece on one of the top teams. The Spurs just flat out suck. If they were a fringe play in team, sure, but being that bad should disqualify you. 

MVP is very close

I have no idea who the MVP should be. It's a weird year. 

On ROY, I agree with BFC that Wemby has pulled ahead of Chet over the past few weeks based on his improved performance - that Magic game we talked about a couple weeks ago notwithstanding.

I think there's been a quadruple double a few seasons ago. Though, the fourth double was in turnovers if I'm not mistaken. :lol:

For the life of me, I can't remember who it was to do it.

Yeah a quick google says Giannis had one too about a year ago.

Watched the Pistons last night.  Cade Cunningham is a great player.  Definitely top 40, maybe 30.  I think he’s getting unfairly maligned for the team’s historic shittiness.  He’s improved his shooting significantly since last year, which was really his only weakness.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yeah a quick google says Giannis had one too about a year ago.

Watched the Pistons last night.  Cade Cunningham is a great player.  Definitely top 40, maybe 30.  I think he’s getting unfairly maligned for the team’s historic shittiness.  He’s improved his shooting significantly since last year, which was really his only weakness.

I just think he's being used incorrectly. He's not a PG. Play him as a SF or PF in a small ball lineup and you'll unlock him. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I just think he's being used incorrectly. He's not a PG. Play him as a SF or PF in a small ball lineup and you'll unlock him. 

I’m not sure such distinctions matter much in today’s NBA, let alone the fact the rest of his team eats dick anyway.  They’ve been playing him with Ivey for a while now so it’s not like there’s not another ballhandler/playmaker.

I do agree ideally he’d be better playing with a true 1 and facilitator, but watching the league the last year and a half it’s apparent those are very hard to come by.

37 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If you are going to score a buzzer beater might as well make it from 60 feet. But Jesus that was some lackadaisical defence from Luka. 

Tell him to stop smoking and get in shape. He should be a better defender than he's been so far.

Wolves beat the Wembys last night. He is probably already the best rim protector in the league, but he needs to stop shooting from distance. Even if he's probably still 2-3 years away from being a lot stronger he needs to live around the rim on offense. His handle is solid, but at that size it's easy to strip. I knew he'd be raw on that end coming in though I didn't expect it to be this. He's way more talented than Chet, however you can see the difference when it comes to knowing the game and being more seasoned. 

6 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

The Celtics are up by 44 at halftime. Jfc. Wasn’t their lack of depth a huge issue during the offseason, lol?

Isn't it still? Porzingis is always in and out and their bench excluding Horford is Tillman/Kornet/Hauser/Pritchard. Not really encouraging considering they had Williams and Brogdon last season. The upgrade to the starters is more than worth it though. Minutes are short for the bench in the playoffs anyway.

The Magic are now - for the moment - the ninth best team in the league.  As I mentioned months ago, if they could just get through the arduous schedule from mid-December through January with a .500 record, they'd be in a very advantageous position.  That's materialized - they've won 13 of their last 16, feasting on poor competition.

What I also found interesting looking at the overall standings last night was the team that is the eighth best in the league - New Orleans.  That surprised me.  And for all the shit Zion (rightfully) gets, especially a couple months ago, he's now played in 51 of the team's 62 games at 30 minutes per game.  Also can't believe he's still only 23.