NBA - squeaky bum time

BigFatCoward

32 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

I think it's time for Klay to go home and be a family man. 

Yeah, having gotten another championship after his injuries should be enough. Think he'd still play though. Question is how much will the Warriors offer. 

Edited by Proudfeet

5 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

I think it's time for Klay to go home and be a family man. 

He's washed. Having those back to back injuries for sure cut down his longevity. Still a first ballot HoFer though.

I think we saw a dynasty die tonight. Green is pretty cooked as well and Steph can't carry the team anymore. He can for a night, but he needs a lot more help to make one more push and I'm not sure who they can add. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Steph can't carry the team anymore. He can for a night, but he needs a lot more help to make one more push and I'm not sure who they can add. 

Who would have the cap space/a spot for him if he decided 'i'm not spending the next few years playing on a 7-10 team'? 

And who would have the assets to give up, without stopping them contending?  

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Who would have the cap space/a spot for him if he decided 'i'm not spending the next few years playing on a 7-10 team'? 

And who would have the assets to give up, without stopping them contending?  

Cap space might be tricky, but I think if he asked for a trade GS would take pennies on the dollar to help him get to a contender. A couple of picks and swaps, a young player with upside and some bad contracts might do it. I just don't know which team can make that deal. 

I still think he might just want to be a Warrior for life, but getting one more ring cements him as a top 10 all-time player (I think he already is) and that may tempt him to leave. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

He's washed. Having those back to back injuries for sure cut down his longevity. Still a first ballot HoFer though.

I think we saw a dynasty die tonight. Green is pretty cooked as well and Steph can't carry the team anymore. He can for a night, but he needs a lot more help to make one more push and I'm not sure who they can add. 

Boy, and a few years ago they had the number one overall pick and you just sort of thought "Here they go, gonna be good for another 5-10 years."  And then James Wiseman happens...

18 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Cap space might be tricky, but I think if he asked for a trade GS would take pennies on the dollar to help him get to a contender. A couple of picks and swaps, a young player with upside and some bad contracts might do it. I just don't know which team can make that deal. 

I still think he might just want to be a Warrior for life, but getting one more ring cements him as a top 10 all-time player (I think he already is) and that may tempt him to leave. 

I don't know about rankings.  Top 10, Top 15, a lot of that is splitting hairs.  But I know one thing, you can't tell the story of the NBA without Steph Curry.  He changed the game and the way it is played at every level.  

I don't see any way he's outside the top 10.  He's better than Kobe or Durant, so unless you just feel like the older guys can never be moved (not a perspective I share) then he's in. 

21 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Boy, and a few years ago they had the number one overall pick and you just sort of thought "Here they go, gonna be good for another 5-10 years."  And then James Wiseman happens...

Ant was the top pick that year. The Wolves chose wisely.

I don't know about rankings.  Top 10, Top 15, a lot of that is splitting hairs.  But I know one thing, you can't tell the story of the NBA without Steph Curry.  He changed the game and the way it is played at every level.  

Curry's impact on the actual game might be greater than any other player in NBA history. 

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

For me there is a clear top 6 (Wilt, Kareem, Bird, Magic, Jordan, LeBron) depending on what you value he could be anywhere from 7th to 15th.  

Jordan, LeBron and Kareem are locked in as the top three and Russell should be ahead of Wilt, wherever you rank the two (I always say top 12 because Idk how you rank either of them given just how different the game was back then). 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Jordan, LeBron and Kareem are locked in as the top three and Russell should be ahead of Wilt, wherever you rank the two (I always say top 12 because Idk how you rank either of them given just how different the game was back then). 

I hate this way of thinking, he played with about 9,000 Hall of farmers, Wilt owned him when they played (he outscored him by 14 in head to head, and had 5 more rebounds, i'm sure if blocks were counted he would have won on that one as well), not his fault he was mainly surrounded by lesser players. 

If Russell was so great how come he only made 3 first team NBA teams to Wilts 7?

Everyone knew who was better then. I don't care if he won a million bazillion rings as part of the deepest team in sports history. 

You can argue he shouldn't be considered top 5 for your reasons listed. But how was he not better than Russell? Not 'greater' I'll give you. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Want to preface this with saying that teams have a responsibility to develop players as well, but so far it seems that for that draft, the players who are having better careers so far are all guards. 

Think the bigger problem is whatever happened to Poole. He looked really good that one season. Thought he'd be better with more consistent playtime on the Wizards but seems he's had a disaster of a season.

24 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Think the bigger problem is whatever happened to Poole. He looked really good that one season. Thought he'd be better with more consistent playtime on the Wizards but seems he's had a disaster of a season.

He's probably still concussed from the prick Green and his cowardly as fuck haymaker. 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I hate this way of thinking, he played with about 9,000 Hall of farmers, Wilt owned him when they played (he outscored him by 14 in head to head, and had 5 more rebounds, i'm sure if blocks were counted he would have won on that one as well), not his fault he was mainly surrounded by lesser players. 

If Russell was so great how come he only made 3 first team NBA teams to Wilts 7?

Everyone knew who was better then. I don't care if he won a million bazillion rings as part of the deepest team in sports history. 

You can argue he shouldn't be considered top 5 for your reasons listed. But how was he not better than Russell? Not 'greater' I'll give you. 

Well rings in the NBA do matter and when the gap is that large it stands out. And Russell won more MVPs. There's an argument to be made that Wilt had more team success when he reduced his role. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Well rings in the NBA do matter and when the gap is that large it stands out. And Russell won more MVPs. There's an argument to be made that Wilt had more team success when he reduced his role. 

Yeah. That's a particularly US thing (and basketball in particular). Manning is still top 3 even though he won one SB and was carried to another).

Richard isn't considered better than Gretsky. 

Messi is not considered better than Maradonas because of his CL and la liga ssuccess.hes just considered more successful. 

By most accounts Shearer is top 3 PL player of all time, he won one trophy in 15 years. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

48 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Yeah. That's a particularly US thing (and basketball in particular). Manning is still top 3 even though he won one SB and was carried to another).

Richard isn't considered better than Gretsky. 

Messi is not considered better than Maradonas because of his CL and la liga ssuccess.hes just considered more successful. 

By most accounts Shearer is top 3 PL player of all time, he won one trophy in 15 years. 

Manning was actually carried both times and Idk if he's considered top three anymore. The better NFL example would be what to do with Rodgers in the all-time rankings. He's probably the closest thing to Wilt in a different sport whereas Brady is a bit more like Russell.

Messi and Maradona is tricky because Messi is the better player, but he gets dinged in Argentina because he left the country at a young age. Pele is again the interesting comparison to Russell. 

Can't really say anything on Richard or Shearer.

8 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Want to preface this with saying that teams have a responsibility to develop players as well, but so far it seems that for that draft, the players who are having better careers so far are all guards. 

Tbf, GS have a fairly good record at develoing talent. Wiseman was just unlucky with his injuries. Injuries are obviously part of a pro career in sport. But the injuries really hampered his career/development.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

But he really needed that World Cup to finally step out of Diego's shadow. A bit harshly put, without it, he would've been the most successful of the not quite Maradona. It also finally shut down those blinkered fanboys, who thought that C. Ronaldo was his equal.

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Tbf, GS have a fairly good record at develoing talent. Wiseman was just unlucky with his injuries. Injuries are obviously part of a pro career in sport. But the injuries really hampered his career/development.

Maybe. I wouldn't be too sure. Kuminga and Moody have been hyped for two to three years now, and also, they are playing with Curry. Players are supposed to look better playing with Curry/Jokic/Doncic and the like.

Anyway, just thought it was remarkable how stark the contrast between the guards and forwards/centers of that draft has been so far.