Spocky’s Anti-Burnout Thread a.k.a. How do you like my music?

Spockydog

I was talking to my sister about the very real risk of burnout. I’ve basically been working my tits off, sixteen – eighteen hour days for a while now. I really enjoy it, and that’s part of the problem. Most of the time, it doesn’t feel like work. Sometimes, though, it does.

So my sister is really pleased I’ve decided to date again – she’s been bugging me about it for years.

Another thing she often bugs me about is my music. As well as dating, this was one of the things I loved and gave up when Chops became unwell. She doesn’t bug me, exactly, but often encourages me to pick up my guitar more, and perhaps get out and do the odd open mic, just for the craic.

I mean, I love singing. It used to be my world.

In 2007, I’d written a bunch of songs in the wake of my divorce, and some of them were quite good. I did a handful of solo London shows, just me and a Fender Telecaster, sitting on a stool. The reaction was good and after much encouragement from some industry bods, I began to put down some demos, with the aim of choosing the best ones and releasing an album.

Back then, there was still value in doing that. Nobody had heard of fucking Spotify.

At home in Muswell Hill, I had a small studio setup. And the two weeks out of every four I was in Paris, I used a little four-track setup and a cheap guitar to throw down the guides in my hotel, before redoing everything when I got home.

It was a fertile time. I ended up writing loads of songs. My divorce had been pretty harrowing, and Paris was …. well, Paris. At the time, people were telling me my songs had the potential for a half decent break-up album.

So my manager booked some more London shows and a week in a proper recording studio, and then…. Chops got sick.

And that was that.

So, fast forward to now, as I start booting up my life again, my sister is telling me to pick up the music again. But just as a hobby, just as a way to let off steam.

She asked me to compile a playlist of the album demos on Soundcloud for her. So I did.

I think I’m going to take her up on her advice. Music is the one thing that’s ever made me truly happy, and I miss it. I’d like to record a few of these tracks properly. I think one of them (You Never Know) is a shoe-in for Eurovision, if I can get someone young and sexy to sing it. Because I’m too bloody old now.

So anyway, here it is. The story of the worst time of my life, in music.

Nothing But Smoke – The Album Demos, by audiodrifter

All tracks can be downloaded for free. Fuck Spotify.

Of course, I'm not the only one here who is working hard. There are some seriously busy people here, doing challenging and demanding jobs.

So what does everyone do to switch off?

Grafters, how do you retain your sanity?

Edited by Spockydog

12 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

I unwind by walking my dog - and picking up dog poop.

I have some really nice woods near here. I can walk for an hour and see nobody but the squirrels. Maggie loves it up there. 

Edited by Spockydog

I definitely don't think of myself as a "grafter," I generally prefer to avoid work. OTOH I'm currently staying up late working on my quantum computing coursework, so maybe that counts?

The answer is definitely music for me as well. I'm not a songwriter though, I just like to play songs that other people have written. Or at least, I don't write whole songs from scratch, but I do come up with basslines and give input on harmonisation, structure etc. I'm learning jazz improv as well. Recording is fun, but playing live on stage is what properly lets me blow off steam.

I suppose the other side of the coin is that I blow off steam by attending gigs as well. Most weekends my partner and I are at one of the local indie music venues.

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I have some really nice woods near here. I can walk for an hour and see nobody but the squirrels. Maggie loves it up there. 

I'm lucky enough to live in a beautiful area that has several pretty large woods, some of which have walking paths through them.  The largest one is currently very swampy from all the snow melt, but the one we walked today was absolutely beautiful - dry gravel path through trees with water on both sides of us.  The weather has been gorgeous too.  Met up with a few ladies of like mind which allowed my girl Katie to run and play with their dogs.  

All in all, a great day!  

11 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

I'm lucky enough to live in a beautiful area that has several pretty large woods, some of which have walking paths through them.  The largest one is currently very swampy from all the snow melt, but the one we walked today was absolutely beautiful - dry gravel path through trees with water on both sides of us.  The weather has been gorgeous too.  Met up with a few ladies of like mind which allowed my girl Katie to run and play with their dogs.  

All in all, a great day!  

Ah, sounds lovely. Watching dogs play is one of the finest spectacles on earth.

Posted (edited)

When I eventually sell up and retire to Lazyscrog Mansions, I'm going to become this guy:

His dog looks exactly like my Maggie. 

And I love his pack of dogs at the end of the video.

As soon as I move, I'm going to start things off by giving Maggie a couple of puppies - a German Shepherd and a Border Terrier.  

Edited by Spockydog

A friend took me up the driving range this morning. I can turn my hand to most things, but hitting a golf ball is definitely not one of those things. 

It was embarrassing. 

15 hours ago, Spockydog said:

When I eventually sell up and retire to Lazyscrog Mansions, I'm going to become this guy:

His dog looks exactly like my Maggie. 

And I love his pack of dogs at the end of the video.

As soon as I move, I'm going to start things off by giving Maggie a couple of puppies - a German Shepherd and a Border Terrier.  

Rescue pups FTW! :commie:

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

You fucking tory. 

Mate, I couldn't even hit the freakin' ball. No self-respecting Conservative Club in the land would have me. 

This particular friend used to be the drummer in my band, and is now CTO for a City brokerage. He insists I'm going to have to learn how to hit a golf ball. He is the son of a black cab driver, and a proper Tory. His brother (fuck it, his name is Danny Granville) is a former professional footballer, who played for Leeds and Chelsea, back in the day. And now works with the Arsenal youth, in Jack Wilshere's coaching team.

His entire family are Spurs, like, extreme Spurs, so I fucking love that. 

Edited by Spockydog

1 minute ago, Craving Peaches said:

I really enjoy making music, but I would never be brave enough to publish any of the songs I have made...

I have always been an inveterate show off. 

26 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I really enjoy making music, but I would never be brave enough to publish any of the songs I have made...

What kind of stuff do you make?